Euro 2012 thread

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby RichardLFC1 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:17 am

RUSHIE#9 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:23 am wrote:
RichardLFC1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:00 am wrote:Ill get gunned down but its my opinion and i dont really care.

Top 4 players at the moment

1. Iniesta
2. RVP
3. Lionel Messi
4 Cristiano Ronaldo

SPOT ON!

You are gonna get gunned down.  :D

RVP better than Messi  :suspect:

RVP had a good season there's no doubt (probably something to do with not getting crocked for the first time in a long while if ever) but to place him higher than Messi and as much as it pains me to say it the Grease Ball that is Ronaldo ???

Goalscoring wise RVP (52 goals 2011/12*) is blown clean out of the water by both Messi (70 goals 2011/12*) and the Greasy One (64 goals 2011/12*).
*All competitions - Club & Country (ESPN Soccernet)

RVP was undoubtedly Arsenal's saviour last season and along with Spuds capitulation was the main reason for getting Arsenal in to the Champions league. But for me it still doesn't compare to what Messi and Greasy achieved, the pair of them went on to the pitch and more often than not single handedly destroyed teams in the league and in Messi's case the champions league as well.

Personally my order would be (whether you care or not):-

1.Messi

2.Iniesta

3.Grease Ball

4.RVP

I will agree that at the moment RVP is up there as one of the best players in the world at the moment and it's no wonder his signature is being sought by the top teams but there are still better players about than him. But like you that's just my opinion.

Thats great that you have an opinion as not many do to be honest they follow crowds and let people dictate to them who is the best. I want to see RVP in la liga just so we can compare messi and Van persie. I personally believe although its his name on the score sheet at barcelona Iniesta and Xavi really do the work where at Arsenal for van persie He has to do everything

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby RichardLFC1 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:19 am

Benny The Noon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:18 am wrote:RvP better than Messi :laugh:

Based on what exactly ?!

based on my opinion Benny

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby Boxscarf » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:40 am

Disappointed that the Germans crashed out. The Germans always seem to struggle against Italy - the German defence were poor, Badstuber and Hummels, youth and relative inexperience showed last night, as did Boateng's. Lahm was poor, Schweinstiger wasn't great either, Kroos, Podolski and Gomez were non-existent. Only Ozil and Khedira came out with any positives last night.

As for Italy, they will probably go onto win it, I don't think many people at the start of the tournament would have looked at the Italian team and picked them to reach the semi-finals. But all credit to them, as the tournament has progressed they've gone up through the gears and what can you say about Mario Balotelli? Pure brilliance. When that lad wants to play football, he can play football and his ability shouldn't come into question. If he can play like that for Man City then he'll be one of the best players in the league.

Pirlo seems to be the stand out player of the tournament, though he's exactly been doing anything he hasn't done for the last ten years for Milan and Juventus. It's good to see him getting the recognition he deserves and probably hasn't gotten over his career. Cassano has performed well, as has the Italian defence. Buffon is still the best keeper in the World for me. All in all I think the two best teams of the competition have gotten to the final and I anticipate a really entertaining final.

I fancy Italy to win.
Last edited by Boxscarf on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boxscarf

Postby Boxscarf » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:42 am

Kenny Kan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:41 pm wrote:Who said Spain are boring?

I haven't found the Spanish brand of football to be exciting in this tournament, I've thoroughly enjoyed watching Germany play, I prefer their brand of football. I enjoyed the penalty shoot out with Spain and Portugal and I enjoyed the Spain vs Ireland match, but other than that I felt the Spain team of 4 years ago was far more entertaining. Watching Torres and Villa link up was a joy to watch.
Boxscarf

Postby stmichael » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:31 am

the extent to which italy were written off before the game was laughable. it was as if germany just had to turn up and win. critically, they changed their tactics and shape to try and stop italy instead of concentrating on their own strengths.

italy were brilliant. pirlo immense again. can't wait for the final. italy really should have beaten spain in the group stage.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mkingdom » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:14 pm

Boxscarf » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:40 am wrote: Buffon is still the best keeper in the World for me.

I honestly can't see that with Buffon.  Every time I see him play he looks dodgy.  Punching when others would catch and generally looking very nervy.  Seems to be living off his reputation now.  There are far better keepers around IMO.
mkingdom

Postby Boxscarf » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:17 pm

mkingdom » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:14 am wrote:
I honestly can't see that with Buffon.  Every time I see him play he looks dodgy.  Punching when others would catch and generally looking very nervy.  Seems to be living off his reputation now.  There are far better keepers around IMO.

We're obviously watching two different keepers, last night he pulled of a number of very good saves to keep Germany out. The times where he did falter was down to the defence in front of him not doing their jobs properly. People say he's past it, but game after game last season for Juventus he was pulling off brilliant saves. You don't go a season unbeaten in the league with a keeper who is 'living off his reputation'.
Boxscarf

Postby jacdaniel » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:40 pm

In relation to Roy Hodgson, the English media is in for a huge wake up call over the next year or two.

I'm hearing lots of "Give Roy time to implement his own style of play" type comments... even from people like Arry Redknapp.

I don't think they've realised yet, England played exactly like a Roy Hodgson team.  There is nothing further to implement.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:43 pm

RichardLFC1 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:19 am wrote:
Benny The Noon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:18 am wrote:RvP better than Messi :laugh:

Based on what exactly ?!

based on my opinion Benny

And what do you base that opinion on ?
Benny The Noon

Postby Boxscarf » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:52 pm

I've been criticised heavily for saying that English players are lacking in technical ability. People seem to bring these players club form into discussions about International football. Rooney might well perform well for his club week in and week out, but he like most England players do not perform at International level. I cannot even tell you the last time Rooney had a good match for England, yet he has been labelled by the current manager 'England's answer to Pele'.

People blame Hodgson's tactics for England's inability to keep hold of the ball, to string more than 3 passes together, to counter-attack successfully and yet basic ball retention and passing has been a problem for England for a number of years. This isn't a set of problems new to England, it's problems that have blighted England at International level for years.

Scott Parker got a lot of plaudits for his courage, his resilience and determination, that's wonderful, but he lacks basic technical ability, he cannot pass the ball, he is not composed on the ball, he might well tackle as good as Mascherano, but Mascherano can burst up the pitch with the ball, Mascherano is a goal-threat, Mascherano can pass the ball, play through balls, Scott Parker cannot do any of these things.

John Terry is another player who gets the plaudits, "a good old fashioned English center-back" and it shows. He's slow, his positioning a lot of the time is poor and while he might well throw himself in front of the ball and make some excellent last ditch tackles he lacks the technical abilities needed to be considered a top class center-back.

Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole, Wayne Rooney are all other footballers considered 'World Class' and I just cannot see it.
Boxscarf

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:02 pm

Masher a goal threat ?!? Really ?

And Cashely is unfortunatly the best left back in the world.
Benny The Noon

Postby Boxscarf » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:07 pm

Benny The Noon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:02 pm wrote:Masher a goal threat ?!? Really ?

And Cashely is unfortunatly the best left back in the world.

Mascherano can strike a football, I still remember the goal he scored against Real Madrid and Ashley Cole is not the best left back in the World. Already Jordi Alba for Spain looks so much better and he's just completed a £14m move to Barcelona.

Top players play for top clubs, Chelsea are not a top club.
Boxscarf

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:37 pm

Go and check Chelsea's honours since 2000 - they are a top club or are you not calling Suarez or Gerrard or Pepe top players ?!

Chelsea are CL winners and a top club

Certainly a bigger club than Valencia ?!

And Masher is as much a goal threat as a keeper ! He scores once in a blue moon. - he has scored a grand total

Drum Roll ------ 2 club goals !!  And I'm pretty sure his one goal for us wasn't against Madrid

Not bad it 253 games i suppose
Benny The Noon

Postby RichardLFC1 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:53 pm

Although it pains me to say it as benny is a dick he is right.

Marcherano is not and will not ever be a goal threat

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:07 pm

RichardLFC1 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:53 pm wrote:Although it pains me to say it as benny is a dick he is right.

Marcherano is not and will not ever be a goal threat

Still waiting for you to justify your amazing opinion that RvP is better than Messi :laugh:

That's as laughable as calling Masher a goal threat
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion