Champs.league restructure - I'm sick of protecting man.utd

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:34 pm

I've probably posted this in the wrong bit of the forum so mr.webmaster if you wanna move it please do.

I think the time has come to restructure the Champions League. Why oh why oh why do MAN UNITED & ARSENAL get to avoid the 'big clubs' like Real Madrid???  This is been selective to who the organisers want to let through and who they don't.

"Can't have Man.Utd playing Real Madrid in the first games & getting knocked out early because it's good for the competition if they stay in"

What a loada b@ll@x. Let them get knocked out early! It'll be good for Man utd who need knocking down a peg or two!
Restructure Plan:

One league and the top eight go through to a knock out stage. Easy as that. Every one plays everyone. Fair across the board. Limit it to 2 teams per country to go into competition.
Oh and finally, stop protecting the bigger clubs. Stick them in with everybody and lets see who are the real champions of europe. If they're good enough, they'll stay in.

Thats my rant over.

I Thank you
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby blind » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:41 pm

spot on idea.

and if not that change the seeding to just by country so that in the first round you cannot get a club from your own country and thats it so you could end up with a group of Man u,Real Madrid,Porto,Juventus.  etc now that would make for an exiting round of group matches far better then trying to make sure they get to the quarters it will make the teams work harder as well.
http://www.footballbadgers.com

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:30 pm

Yeah, great post lee, however what you fail to realise if they restructured as per your post, we would not be there this year!!! i.e 4th place qualifiers? only two teams per country?....................Use yer brain a little bit more before you post next time!!
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:58 pm

I reckon that if Man UTD have a poor season next year (by their standards) and do nothing spectacular in England and in Europe then the decline will be irreversable and they will be the new Liverpool!

Hopefully we will shake ourselves up a bit and pass them out on the way down.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:02 pm

chelsea's emergence as a football power has virtually ended man united's days of signing "world class" superstars. if man u are interested chelsea merely outbid them and offer more money. look at arjen robben for example. man united are now resigned to signing players like alan "doesn't score goals" smith and gabriel "who" heinze. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:45 pm

Maximus - I'd already thought of that. So, it's time to improve the team an ensure we finish top two. I wasn't really basing it on last seasons finish.

don't put me down for posting.

:(
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby blind » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:28 pm

everything comes in cycles we have had our time out of the lime light and manu have had theirs in it.
Chelski will never be a team as they are too fragmented an opporation as every one is watching there back as too who will be brought in next to replace me.
The axe hangs over every one of them and it will not yeald the result they want. they will go close but they will not get back to the days og Gullit and Vialli when they where a propper team and played together.
we just need that little tweek here and there to get us right we have some truely class players and youngsters who will continue to improve their games and push the starting team for there places in time so i think we will be on to a good few seasons.
Maybe not straight away but we will get our title back as the best team in the land and europe.
http://www.footballbadgers.com

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:35 pm

No matter how the champions league is structured, quality will always emerge and the chancers get found out.  For example United always sail through their opening group because they avoid the big boys but inevitably come a cropper in the knock out stages.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby adayinthelife » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:42 pm

The money men need the big clubs to make it to the knockout stage as their profits would drop without them in the latter stages.

The more fans that watch the matches on tv also increases the revenue for all the clubs involved so why would any club want to see any change ???
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:01 am

with the amount of games already being played i think you will find that playing each team in a league system would be too much.

Add to that if they had to play each team home and away to make it fair, depending on how many teams were in the comp, if it was 32 then they would have to play 62 games, 16 - 30 games, as opposed to the current system where they play 6 group games and then go straight to the knockout.

However the seeding idea is a good one, as you say if they are good enough they'll make it, and the 2 sides per country max is not bad, but may mean sides who are not good enough getting through and getting smashed week in week out.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:43 am

For a start calling it the champions league is a nonsense .I think the Champions of each top flight league should get "promoted" into a European League for one season.The winners remain in it at the end of the season and everyone else returns to their domestic league and are replaced in the euro league by each countries new domestic champions. All other clubs that finish between 2nd and 4th inclusive (and unfortunately this would include us based on our performance this last decade) all other clubs go into the uefa cup, no seedings just drawn straight out of the hat . It would certainly be a quality cup competition, although it may not appeal to the money men :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:00 am

interesting idea woof woof, but i don't think it would be done as how could you have the "champions" not defending their title, it would take away from the domestic leagues I think, and I think the gulf between the big clubs and medium-small clubs would grow considerbly more, with all big players wanting to be in the "Euro league".
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:05 pm

Yeah but the teams in the Euro league would change every season with only the winners of the euro league staying in it.
Can you imagine, we win the premiership and we then have the next season playing the cream of europe every single week . Would be fantastic :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:08 pm

yeh it sure would.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:12 pm

Attending all those away games would cost a bit though ! :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion