The 2022 Qatar World Cup thread

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:46 pm

Being in the construction industry all my working life and given how many workers reportedly lost their lives building the stadiums I hope I have the wherewithal to ignore this tournament but no doubt once the wall to wall coverage starts I’ll get sucked in.
I know I’m English (well, scouse anyway) but I really find it hard to cheer on an England team full of City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham players etc. The club rivalry in this country is just too strong or at least is it is for me anyway.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:44 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:46 pm wrote:Being in the construction industry all my working life and given how many workers reportedly lost their lives building the stadiums I hope I have the wherewithal to ignore this tournament but no doubt once the wall to wall coverage starts I’ll get sucked in.
I know I’m English (well, scouse anyway) but I really find it hard to cheer on an England team full of City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham players etc. The club rivalry in this country is just too strong or at least is it is for me anyway.

Feeling a bit like you Yakka,  Part of me want's to ignore it BUT it's the world cup !

I'm not cheering on any team. In fact I'm still not sure if from a morale perspective I should actually watch it.   :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Boocity » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:19 pm

I am getting fed up with the virtue signaling from England, we have Kane with his silly armband and now taking the knee against Iran. It's all Southgate's plan to distract people from his negative tactics. Another reason why Southgate has to go. Here's a novel idea, let's just concentrate on the football.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:13 am

Fair play to any player who has the balls to stand up to what they believe in.  Human rights are for everyone and its right to speak out against these regimes for their treatment of people.

Anyway that was the one of the worst games I ever seen. Blatant cheating by the officials as well trying to stop Qatar from getting humiliated. There was nothing wrong with their opening goal and is further proof that VAR is corrupt. They couldn't show the incident so put up a graphic  :laugh:  Some of the challenges they got away with as well was questionable so I can only hope that they get absolutely whipped in the next 2 games. Absolute joke of a team.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:57 pm

This is already a PR disaster for FIFA.

Can't remember I was so disinterested in World Cup.

I hope this shows FIFA for what it is. Let's hope no one is hurt or arrested in the process.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:22 am

Everyone knows Fifa is corrupt to the core this years but nowt will change.

Watched the England game earlier and they were decent enough. Thought the USA were decent enough as well, plenty of pace in the side and have an aggressive press. Vastly improved from what I remember. Thought they just had one to many that was a little naive to the European game and ran out of steam towards the end.

On another note I think that Pulisic lad would be a really good fit for us. Bellingham impressed as well but just can't shake the feeling he would do a Sancho and not have the impact we hoped. Both of them would imo see us challenging next year.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:28 pm

Part of me wants to celebrate the Saudi win over Argentina , lets face it the Saudi team got stuck in and scored two great goals (especially the 2nd one) and it's always good to see the Argies get a kick up the ***** BUT another part of me is left wondering why Argentina undefeated for 36 games (?) looked a shadow of themselves .

Money talks ? and somehow a middle eastern team has to have a big result at this world cup in their own backyard ?  Conspiracy theory ? maybe. But the Argentine performance was a real head scratcher.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby redshade » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:52 pm

Bottom line mate if other sports are corrupt then why would football be an exception??!

Tbh whether it is politics or whatever I've got no interest in this world cup, I don't feel a connection with the England team, which is full of rival clubs players or any other country.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:45 am

TBH it's such a boring and lazy narrative. Leading up to the opening game all we heard was how Qatar have paid Ecuador to throw the game but they got comfortably beaten. Now we're going to hear the same thing thrown at Saudi despite a miraculous backs to wall effort to cling on to the best result in their history.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:48 am

red till i die!! » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:13 am wrote:Fair play to any player who has the balls to stand up to what they believe in.  Human rights are for everyone and its right to speak out against these regimes for their treatment of people.

Anyway that was the one of the worst games I ever seen. Blatant cheating by the officials as well trying to stop Qatar from getting humiliated. There was nothing wrong with their opening goal and is further proof that VAR is corrupt. They couldn't show the incident so put up a graphic  :laugh:  Some of the challenges they got away with as well was questionable so I can only hope that they get absolutely whipped in the next 2 games. Absolute joke of a team.

Yet for years you have been chomping at the bit to roll out the red carpet for one of these regimes to take over from "the yanks" and become custodians of our club. Go figure.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:36 pm

Pig Catcher wrote:
red till i die!! » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:13 am wrote:Fair play to any player who has the balls to stand up to what they believe in.  Human rights are for everyone and its right to speak out against these regimes for their treatment of people.

Yet for years you have been chomping at the bit to roll out the red carpet for one of these regimes to take over from "the yanks" and become custodians of our club. Go figure.

Really  :eyebrow
You must be confused with someone else mate. I have never said I wanted an oil state.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:07 pm

To be honest I don't think anyone really stood up for what they believe in. They talked a lot about it sure, but in the end they all decided to submit to the tyrannical rules, keep their head down and play the game. If they really wanted to do something, they could have boycotted the competition and not play.

The least they could have done was wear the one love armband like they all said they would, which from what I read would have only resulted in a yellow card.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:19 am

I am not against what people believe in but its double standards, in UK and Europe hate preachers preach antigay stuff everyday but nothing is done. Now its the WC all of a sudden everyone wants to protest. Its just double standards, glass houses and stones comes to mind.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:37 am

Good chance the Germans could get knocked out in the group stages again tonight mirroring what happened 4 years ago in Russia.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:21 pm

That Enzo Fernandez looks ridiculous for his age, and that goal on the big stage was unbelievable.

Surprised no one tried to sign him in the summer.. what a coup for Benfica only costing £10m.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion