Seasons since last title 90-Present

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redshade » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:47 am

redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:49 am

Thought might edit and add this on to see how we have done since our last title.

Last 7 years have been our worst in league finishes. Just the 2nd place to show.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:55 am

redshade » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:49 am wrote:Thought might edit and add this on to see how we have done since our last title.

Last 7 years have been our worst in league finishes. Just the 2nd place to show.

Looks baron since we were last owned by a Liverpool supporter.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:22 am

When we sold the club to G & H that was the big mistake really, Moores had the love for the club and knew he needed to sell but I dont think due diligence was done professionally enough at the time and weve been picked off since.

The affection for the club you buy is important and neither of our American owners had or have that, Abramovich loves Chelsea and the Mansour and Malbarak adore City, even the Glazers get a buzz out of spending big and flexing muscle at United.

Thats really what we need and its not coming from FSG, maybe they can get us over the line one season but a club competing with the big boys every season, absolutely not, not winning it doesn't hurt them enough.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:30 pm

Interesting stuff, good post.
For some reason i always remember the 90's as a bad time (probably because of the Souness era) but it's easy to forget that we won the title, finished 2nd, finished 3rd twice and 4th 3 times in that decade.
Not to mention getting to 2 FA Cup finals (winning 1 of them) and winning the League Cup as well.
When he was in sole charge Roy never finished outside of the top 4, in those days though only the top 2 qualified for the CL.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:34 pm

Some difficult questions ow strating to be asked:

If Liverpool have the resources of a top ten European club, why is the team’s performance on the field nowhere near that of a top ten European club?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 12336.html

We won't break out of this cycle of mediocrity until we face facts.....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:34 pm

Reg wrote:Some difficult questions ow strating to be asked:

If Liverpool have the resources of a top ten European club, why is the team’s performance on the field nowhere near that of a top ten European club?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 12336.html

We won't break out of this cycle of mediocrity until we face facts.....

Good read Reg.
I think the majority are starting to realise that the problem is fenway and the impossible task they have set themselves. They spoke about ten year plans when they came in but that's out the window now and we look a long way off winning anything never mind the league. They strive to achieve a model like Arsenal but that in itself is aiming low and testament to what they want to achieve from the game. This idea of getting them young and growing them into a team that dominates for years sounds nice but its pure fantasy.
Competing and playing in finals is what the fans want, Winning stuff is what makes us as a club. I don't give a shyte about how much money the club owes either because every business owes money. Look at the debt Manure has this donkeys years and yet they will go out and spend another 200 odd million the summer on about 4 players to improve the team. Their fans don't care about how much the club owes either and that's partly down to the club itself not pushing tales of woe and financial ruin down their throats like Fenway do.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:32 pm

Looking at that chart how good was Rafa?
2 CL finals, plus another semi final and quarter final, a League Cup final, a FA Cup final, a World Club Championship final, 4 top 4 finishes including a second and two third place finishes......and all within the space of 6 years!
I wouldn't mind but the club was in a right mess when he arrived as well.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby leeroy74 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:37 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:32 am wrote:Looking at that chart how good was Rafa?
2 CL finals, plus another semi final and quarter final, a League Cup final, a FA Cup final, a World Club Championship final, 4 top 4 finishes including a second and two third place finishes......and all within the space of 6 years!

So why didn't we keep him?
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:06 pm

leeroy74 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:37 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:32 am wrote:Looking at that chart how good was Rafa?

So why didn't we keep him?

Human nature is that we learn to value things more only after we lost them. During Rafa's last season, you should read again the vitriol he's receiving on this forum..."fat spanish waiter", "clown", etc etc...  :no
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:51 pm

Too right and 99% of those w@nkers have left the forum since.  Rafa came in for terrible abuse despite being the best example of an overseas manager any club could ever hope for. His relationship with the fans, the club and the city is a lesson to any foreign coach or player coming to the UK>
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:47 pm

What brought Rafa down was the debt H&G loaded onto the club. He had lined up the likes of David Silva and Danny Alves but ended up having to do with the likes of Ngog, Degen and Dossena. Having to service the debt scuppered him.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:09 pm

Regardless of the reason, I dont think Rafa had any more to give the club when he left. We made mistakes replacing him and the rest is history. It is sad seeing him manage at the championship though, he is better than that.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:12 pm

aCe' » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:09 pm wrote:Regardless of the reason, I dont think Rafa had any more to give the club when he left. We made mistakes replacing him and the rest is history. It is sad seeing him manage at the championship though, he is better than that.

Newcastle is a good move for him imo. It's a big club with a lot of potential. If he won a league cup for them he'd be worshipped as a God up there, never mind a league title.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:48 pm

The decision to let Rafa go was made when Broughton and Co stepped in to manage the clubs affairs. At the time the general consensus was his wage was to high and it would hamper efforts to attract a buyer so they parted ways and got the Hodge till new owners could be found. If I remember rightly he also didn't take a payoff. He has won 5 trophies since then even though he had a few clubs. To go from all that to the championship just shows the mans loyalty and class imo.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion