Tony wilson - Dead

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:03 am

i didnt know how to react when i saw this, the guy came across as anti scouse in every thing he said about us, i never saw one real bit of praise from him towards Liverpool or the people of Liverpool, he failed with his business even though his bands produced some memorable music and i enjoyed the movie about him (24 hour party people). i met him once and he came across as a decent guy so maybe his anti scouseness was an act for the screen, or maybe it was because of his affiliation with man utd

anyway er yeah, the guy has lost his life to cancer and i suppose some respect has to come his way for bringing us great music over the years, more of a manchester icon but nevertheless someone helped forge popular culture in the NW

RIP
112-1077774096

Postby Igor Zidane » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:17 am

I don't know if you remember pee , but he was the reporter who interviewed people in the city when shanks announced his resignation . He worked for Granada reports and he seamed at the time to be taking great delight in telling people of shanks resignation , i remember the shock in peoples faces and tears aswell . Always thought he was a bit of a knob froM then on . RIP ANYWAY .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:22 am

yeah igor thats right, like i say he has acted like a tw@t at times, very pro manc and anti liverpool, but i do think some of it wa because thats what was expected from him, maybe i am wrong, maybe he was just a c*nt
112-1077774096

Postby PhiLFC » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:01 pm

My dad's a scouse which is the first reason why I started supporting Liverpool but I am a manc born and bread.  I was shocked at Tony Wilson's death... I didn't realise his cancer was that far down the line.  Anyway all I can say is that I had a lot of respect for him, he brought punk to the North West - I remember a tv programme called "So it Goes" on Granada TV back in the 70's fronted by Tony, it was brilliant.  The Manchester scene was pretty much down to him and his bands.  Having said that he used to annoy the fuck out of me with the downer he had on Liverpool... but he was a scum fan so what else could we expect?
PhiLFC

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:24 pm

i read today about a tribute concert involving a lot of liverpool acts, the likes of pete wylie are saying his anti scouse was really just an act and he actually respects the city
112-1077774096

Postby PhiLFC » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:37 pm

Yeh I agree peewee... he did it just to get the rise out of us.  He was North West through n through and proud of it... the tribute concert would be well worth watching/going to.

RIP Tony
PhiLFC

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:44 pm

liverpool echo phil

LIVERPOOL musicians today paid tribute to music mogul Tony Wilson who died last night from cancer.

He was behind some of Manchester’s biggest bands and launched Factory records and the Hacienda nightclub.

But although the entrepreneur, who managed New Order, Joy Division and the Happy Mondays, was dubbed Mr Manchester, six years ago he put forward proposals to build a pop museum in Liverpool with a futuristic gallery dedicated to fashions in music, art, industry and sport on the Kings Dock site.

Peter Hooton, from The Farm, described the 57-year-old as “the perfect gentleman” and said he had loved Liverpool.

He added: “He did so much for north west music.

“He didn’t take himself too seriously, I would often wind him up about the way he was dressed. It’s a great loss and a sad day for the north west.”

Phil Hayes, from The Picket, said Wilson had contributed funding to help the Picket recording studios get established in the 1980s.

He said: “He was appreciative of what we were trying to do here, and supported us.

“He used his own imagination to create interesting projects, I really liked his regionalism.”

Phil Saxe, who runs the arts, music and entertainment management degree at the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts and discovered the Happy Mondays, was friends with Wilson since they worked together at Factory.

He said: "Tony had a great outlook on life. He was a very funny guy and a great friend.

"Tony wasn't just Mr Manchester, he was Mr north west. He loved the fact that Scousers loved to hate him, but he had a great affection for Liverpool and its people really and vice versa.”
112-1077774096

Postby CardinalRed » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:11 pm

Regardless of Tony Wilson's "Mr Manchester" status, I don't reckon our forum should be used to knock someone who's just died..... If he was still alive and people posted comments about him we'd all wonder why they were doing it so why take the opportunity to have a dig because he's died? lets leave the fella alone eh?
I think we have a little more class on here than sinking to that level.......

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:51 pm

R.I.P.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:15 am

Class. makes you proud to be scouse doesn't it.
Last edited by adamnbarrett on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum