Do not buy the *** - A reminder as to why

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:09 pm

a reminder to any one who walks into a paper shop...
this will never go away, rightly so. and needs drumming into any new reader in here. and i dont care if they are from .tv, cfc or ANY grid or gutter....the message is clear:

(sorry to bring it up guys. respect)

DONT BUY THE SUN 

Written by Jim Boardman     
Friday, 13 January 2006

A surprising number of people seem unaware of the boycott of The Sun by supporters of Liverpool Football Club. Some don't seem to know it is boycotted, others don't know why. Some people rather disturbingly know why the boycott exists but still choose to buy it.

If you choose to continue to buy The Sun after reading this article, and the articles it links to, then you ought to stop calling yourself a Liverpool supporter. Collect any shirts or scarves you have, and hand them in to a charity shop. In fact you can't really call yourself a football supporter. The lies printed in The Sun that you will read about below were aimed at Liverpool supporters, people from Liverpool, people from the North of England, football supporters of any club. If you fall into any of those categories you certainly shouldn't be buying, reading, or visiting the website of that newspaper. If you are a decent human being you will be steering clear of it from now on, even if you've not done so before.

If you buy the paper regularly already, print off all of this information, and save your money tomorrow. Read these articles instead. If you still want to buy that paper the following day I would be surprised.

The boycott of The Sun goes back to April 1989. At the time of writing that is almost 17 years ago. On April 15th 1989 a disaster took place which resulted in the deaths of ninety-six Liverpool supporters at Hillsborough, the home ground of Sheffield Wednesday, during an FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest. Ninety-six people had their lives crushed out of them. Many more are said to have ended their own lives since as a consequence of that disaster. A lot of injustices came out of that disaster, far too many to list here. For more information visit the Hillsborough Justice Campaign website at http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough and please try to support them.

This article concentrates on one piece of injustice that could so easily have been avoided. That could so easily have been made a little better, if not fixed, in the intervening years. Lies were printed as fact in a British newspaper, and that newspaper has still not made an unconditional apology for what it printed. Its editor of the time has never made an unconditional apology in all of that time.

The headlines and sub-headlines on the front page of The Sun newspaper on the Wednesday following the disaster were as follows:

“The Truth.
Some fans picked pockets of victims
Some fans urinated on the brave cops
Some fans beat up PC giving kiss of life.”

So just four days after their loved ones had died, four days after they had narrowly escaped death themselves, Liverpool supporters were confronted with those headlines. People actually believed those headlines. Those who were there did not believe the headlines of course, nor did those who knew people who had been there. Unfortunately though a lot of people did believe those headlines; people who were not Liverpool supporters, perhaps supporters of another team or people who did not follow football at all. The headlines sewed seeds in so many people’s minds that the 96 supporters died at the hands of their own kind. All lies, all proven to be lies, yet never put right by that publication.

For more on the media coverage, visit

http://www.liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=18
http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/history/media.shtm
http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1258627,00.html

The Wikipedia article says: “The story accompanying these headlines claimed that ‘drunken Liverpool fans viciously attacked rescue workers as they tried to revive victims’ and ‘police officers, firemen and ambulance crew were punched, kicked and urinated upon’. A quote, attributed to an unnamed policeman, claimed that a dead girl had been abused and that Liverpool fans ‘were openly urinating on us and the bodies of the dead’.”

Read that last bit again, it really was printed in a national newspaper.

Liverpool legend and the manager of the club at the time Kenny Dalglish was greatly affected by the tragedy.  He attended numerous funerals and visited people in hospital, some of whom were in comas; he spent time with those that had lost their loved ones. In his autobiography he talks about the Disaster and recalls the media coverage:

“The press coverage was difficult to comprehend, particularly the publication of pictures which added to people's distress. There was one photograph of two girls right up against the Leppings Lane fence, their faces pressed into the wire. Nobody knows how they escaped. They used to come to Melwood every day, looking for autographs, and that photograph upset everyone there because we knew them. After seeing that I couldn't look at the papers again.

When the Sun came out with the story about Liverpool fans being drunk and unruly, underneath a headline 'The Truth,' the reaction on Merseyside was one of complete outrage. Newsagents stopped stocking the Sun. People wouldn't mention its name. They were burning copies of it. Anyone representing the Sun was abused. Sun reporters and photographers would lie, telling people they worked for the Liverpool Post and Echo. There was a lot of harassment of them because of what had been written. The Star had gone a bit strong as well but they apologised the next day. They knew the story had no foundation. Kelvin MacKenzie, the Sun's editor, even called me up.

“How can we correct the situation?” he said.

“You know that big headline – ‘The Truth’?” I replied. “All you have to do is put ‘We lied’ in the same size. Then you might be all right.”

Mackenzie said: “I cannot do that.”

“Well,” I replied, “I cannot help you then.”

That was it. I put the phone down. Merseysiders were outraged by the Sun. A great many still are.

There is no excuse for buying or reading The Sun. None whatsoever. If you read that newspaper, or worse still you buy that newspaper, after reading this article and those other articles that are linked to, then you are not fit to call yourself a Red. If you support another team, you should still be able to see why that newspaper should be boycotted. No matter what competitions they are running. Regardless of any “exclusives” they claim to have, even if it is the only paper left in the shop. Saying you bought it to get some tokens to help your daughter’s school to buy a new computer is not going to get you off the hook. It’s really simple:

Don’t buy the Sun.
==============================================

teach it in our schools, tell your kids, tell everyone!
even if i see someone at work with this utter ar5e wipe paper i go into a rant.

for the lives and memory of the good people in this city and the pride held in being a liverpool supporter.. 17 years will not dim our hatred!

sorry again for bringing this up... :(  but it must be ALWAYS highlighted.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:27 pm

When the tragedy arrived Spain (it also struck Europe, needless to say) the truth didn't arrive. They talked about a tragedy yes, and moaned it, but inmediatly used the word "Hooligans" to blame of what happened there.

Not that telling the truth will bring all those lifes back, but at least I invite my Spanish mates lover of football to know the truth by regularly remind them Hillsborough when talking about security in Stadiums. the site you link, the one of contrast.org, is a superb bit of information.

My deepest respects. I haven't ever read the S*n again in the internet since I knew the truth (not that I did, anyway)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:16 pm

my girlfriends mum and dad have the scum delivered and they cant understand why i'm so against it.Then again they dont like football,but i have their old copies off them for my dog to sh!t on,best use for it.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:24 pm

Where was this article published?
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:47 pm

Sabre wrote:When the tragedy arrived Spain (it also struck Europe, needless to say) the truth didn't arrive. They talked about a tragedy yes, and moaned it, but inmediatly used the word "Hooligans" to blame of what happened there.

Not that telling the truth will bring all those lifes back, but at least I invite my Spanish mates lover of football to know the truth by regularly remind them Hillsborough when talking about security in Stadiums. the site you link, the one of contrast.org, is a superb bit of information.

My deepest respects. I haven't ever read the S*n again in the internet since I knew the truth (not that I did, anyway)

I reckon that the next country to have a major disaster will be Italy. They seem to have so little control, its only a matter of time. Thankfully we don't even have the Sun in Brisbane.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:55 pm

How that piece of sleazy garbage is still in circulation is beyond me, wouldnt even have it as Budgie cage litter
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:27 pm

The sun newspaper on friday had an article which listed all under-21 players bought by wenger and which ones were hits and which were flops. Now the list and the assignment of hit/miss for each player was fine apart from one.

A young italian defender Niccolo Galli was given the rating as a flop. Why so much disgust? Galli played for arsenals youth team and had great sucsess and was touted as a future 1st team star. Galli was loaned out to Fiorentina to gain some 1st team experience and he broke into there 1st team at the age of 18 pretty much straight away. tradgically he was killed in a car accident during that season.

The sun distasteful and disgustingly have labelled him a flop. At times i wish papers would get their facts right and actually show some decency and respect espcially towards the kids family. sadly trashy papers like sun dont!

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:33 pm

Heard on Radio City and read in the Echo that the s** have won a court hearing to have the case of the 50 year old gran accused by the s** of having sex for money with Shrek - who is suing them - moved from Liverpool as the wrag feels it won't get a fair trial in a Liverpool court room 'cos of it's reporting of the hillsborough disaster.

Liverpool Echo Story

Boo Fookin' hoo!!
It's about time these low down gutter wraggs started to face upto the consequences of the 'stories' they 'write'. Did they not think of the unfair trial and judgement they dished out to the fans and people of Liverpool as a football team and city when they labelled those who lost their lives either through death or trauma as hooligans and scum for actions that never happened apart from in the twisted minds of journalists and editors driven by the fickle desire to sell more newspapers.
Did they not think of the effect their story would have on the lives of the person and her family by running the story about her and Shrek (i'm not labelling anybody guilty on the impending case 'til a court has ruled on it); as always NO.
I know there has been discussion about the tabloid press in other threads before now but this story has reopened the discussion for me and personally not only will i never read or buy the *** but i will rarey buy any other paper other than the Liverpool echo purely cos IMO i find that it's hard to believe the stories that a lot of them print or the context that they are written in as factual and this is all because they've been shown for the worth that they are.

(P.S. I'm not tarring all tabloids with the same brush 'cos of the *** it's just that they've all been proven to be bending the stories they print in the past).
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:34 pm

Sorry my mouse is feckin about and has added the above post twice.

Please forgive me  :sniffle  I DIDN'T MEAN IT  :sniffle  :sniffle

:rasp
Last edited by RUSHIE#9 on Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:14 pm

Following exchnge with a fellow pupil who is a MANC.
ME - "dont buy that anymore"
MANC - " Why?"
POLITELY REMIND HIM of the 96 which he knew about
MANC - "oh aye, forgot hahahahahahaha, keep buying it then"
------------------------------------------------------------------

And they complain when the get Munich chants........
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:01 pm

slap him with the edge of your ruler sharply behind the ear rafabenitez....and with gusto!

:D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion