Reasons to stay positive

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:52 am

So all of a sudden we are useless?  Lost to Hull and played really bad.  Conceded 6 in the last 2 games.  Rodgers is taking us nowhere.  The reality is, we were only ever flirting at the top of the table.  We're nowhere near as strong as City, Chelsea or Arsenal and thats always going to show as the season progresses. 

At the start of the season, our focus was on challenging for top 4 this season.  Our main rivals for the 4th spot will be United, Everton and Spurs. Southampton and Newcastle may join the battle as well.

We are currently sitting in 4th and on top of that pile with 2 home fixtures and an opportunity to take 6 points.
I've analysed our games this season below and so far I think its still been a good start although obviously we've slipped a bit and I think we're probably 3 points behind were I'd like us to be. 

To gain back a few points I think we're now going to need a result against Spurs, Chelsea or City.  Preferably 5 points from those games and we'd be back on track.  We need to stay realistic though.  I'm as disappointed as anyone that we didn't close the gap on Arsenal but I'm positive enough to realise that we're still in the mix and have a big opportunity to pick up points this week.

Played                               Points                  Expected         Difference
Stoke (h)                              3                           3                     0
Villa (A)                                3                           1                     2
Utd (H)                                 3                           1                     2
Swansea (A)                          1                           1                     0
Southampton (H)                   0                           3                    -3
Sunderland (A)                      3                           3                      0
Crystal Palace (H)                  3                            3                     0
Newcastle (A)                        1                           1                      0
West Brom (H)                      3                           3                      0
Arsenal (A)                            0                           1                      -1
Fulham (H)                            3                           3                      0
Everton (A)                            1                           1                     0
Hull (A)                                  0                           3                     -3
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:07 am

Our midfield is rubbish.

We're so dependent on the front 2 that if one is injured and the other isn't in the mood, we're done. For all the defensive reinforcements that's been made, we're conceding goals far too easily.

Just how many average players are there? Henderson, Lucas, Allen, Moses, Sterling and Gerrard.

I've always believed that the start we had to the season and our brief fling at 2nd spot was a mere facade and not a true reflection of the state of affairs. It's important that in January, BR signs players who are not f*cking prospects or equal to what we already have, but players who can actually immensely improve the midfield.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:20 am

maypaxvobiscum » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:07 am wrote:Our midfield is rubbish.

We're so dependent on the front 2 that if one is injured and the other isn't in the mood, we're done. For all the defensive reinforcements that's been made, we're conceding goals far too easily.

Just how many average players are there? Henderson, Lucas, Allen, Moses, Sterling and Gerrard.

I've always believed that the start we had to the season and our brief fling at 2nd spot was a mere facade and not a true reflection of the state of affairs. It's important that in January, BR signs players who are not f*cking prospects or equal to what we already have, but players who can actually immensely improve the midfield.

Definitely agree on the midfield and I think Rodgers will be looking at improving that in January.  Lets hope he can and that we'll still be in the hunt if he does.

Moses should go straight back to Chelsea.  Sterling needs a loan badly to see if he is any use. 

As you say though, we were never going to challenge for the title.  Its 4th at best that we will be looking at.  And we're still there for now.  Rodgers needs to find a way to get results now without Sturridge.  And I hope he isn't planning on using Aspas, Moses or Sterling too much to try get those results.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:36 am

I think the solution is Alberto. He's really comfortable with possession of the ball and is always opening up to receive the ball when he doesn't have it. He should play more often. And it's time Aspas is given a chance to forge a partnership with Suarez.

The Sterling on loan bit is a good idea.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby LFC1990 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:39 pm

How you can say Hendo is average is behond me

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:15 pm

LFC1990 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:39 pm wrote:How you can say Hendo is average is behond me

Why how do you rate him?  :laugh:
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:32 pm

LFC1990 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:39 pm wrote:How you can say Hendo is average is behond me

If Hendo is good i really dont wanna see what bad is  :help
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:59 pm

Fowler_E7 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:32 pm wrote:
LFC1990 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:39 pm wrote:How you can say Hendo is average is behond me

If Hendo is good i really dont wanna see what bad is  :help

:buttrock
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:56 pm

Hendo is told to do a job and does it very well. He runs his ***** off for 90 minutes and chases EVERYTHING. If the rest of the midfield was a bit better you would see us winning alot more games

LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:49 pm

LFC1990 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:56 pm wrote:Hendo is told to do a job and does it very well. He runs his ***** off for 90 minutes and chases EVERYTHING. If the rest of the midfield was a bit better you would see us winning alot more games

Really?  :laugh:

Ok mate, a team full of Hendersons!!! :laugh:
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:26 am

LFC1990 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:56 pm wrote:Hendo is told to do a job and does it very well. He runs his ***** off for 90 minutes and chases EVERYTHING. If the rest of the midfield was a bit better you would see us winning alot more games

And that is pretty much all he can do, run hard for 90 minutes and chase.

He has no creativity, penetration in his dribbling or offensive play, he is very limited with his passing and doesn't really have an end product.

All critical attributes required in a top midfielder.

If this guy wasn't English and bought for the ridiculous amount of money we spent on him, he would have come nowhere near our starting XI.

This ain't a Sunday pub side, it is Liverpool FC where we expect to have the world's best players not just ones who "try" hard.  :no
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:29 am

eds » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:26 am wrote:
LFC1990 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:56 pm wrote:Hendo is told to do a job and does it very well. He runs his ***** off for 90 minutes and chases EVERYTHING. If the rest of the midfield was a bit better you would see us winning alot more games

And that is pretty much all he can do, run hard for 90 minutes and chase.

He has no creativity, penetration in his dribbling or offensive play, he is very limited with his passing and doesn't really have an end product.

All critical attributes required in a top midfielder.

If this guy wasn't English and bought for the ridiculous amount of money we spent on him, he would have come nowhere near our starting XI.

This ain't a Sunday pub side, it is Liverpool FC where we expect to have the world's best players not just ones who "try" hard.  :no

The funny thing is... people never used to talk about Alonso "working hard" (even though he worked his socks off)...

People often never talked about Torres doing it either at his best (which he did)...

Excellent players generally work hard anyways, its rare you find top players that aren't hard workers.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:11 am

In a midfield 3 that we use you need 3 types of players.

1) someone to chase the ball and not give up for 90 minutes
2) someone to break up the oppositions play
3) someone to link the ball from midfield to attack.

Henderson does the job of player 1 very well and that is all he is needed for.

Mascherano was a very good tackler fantastic at marking players out of the game like the 2007 CL final where he marked Kaka out of the game.

Apart from that Mascherano didnt offer anything. He was regarded as part of one of the best midfields we have had.

Gary Liniker didnt do much but give him the ball and he will score 9/10.

I could go on about players who do a fantastic job at doing one thing.

As i said in another post if the other midfield was better we would see us win alot more games

LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Raoul » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:52 am

LFC1990 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:11 am wrote:In a midfield 3 that we use you need 3 types of players.

1) someone to chase the ball and not give up for 90 minutes
2) someone to break up the oppositions play
3) someone to link the ball from midfield to attack.

Henderson does the job of player 1 very well and that is all he is needed for.

Mascherano was a very good tackler fantastic at marking players out of the game like the 2007 CL final where he marked Kaka out of the game.

Apart from that Mascherano didnt offer anything. He was regarded as part of one of the best midfields we have had.

Gary Liniker didnt do much but give him the ball and he will score 9/10.

I could go on about players who do a fantastic job at doing one thing.

As i said in another post if the other midfield was better we would see us win alot more games

If Hendo is 1, and Lucas is 2 and Gerrard is 3, then we've got quite a good midfield. Yet our midfield struggles most games...

So, either one or more of them isn't doing their job properly or your analysis is flawed.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:06 am

Actually the analysis is very flawed IMHO.

Firstly, it doesn't matter what your position is, one shouldn't stop chasing the ball and/or give up during the 90mins.

Secondly, IF (1) is a trait required only by a midfielder, it should be linked with (2) hence Lucas, not Henderson, should be 1 and 2.

That leaves us with 3 which is Coutinho or Gerrard.

What exactly does Henderson offer to the team apart from being a hard-working English Dirk Kuyt that doesn't score?
maypaxvobiscum

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion