Shaun wright-phillips - What do you think ?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby destro » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:46 pm

As i was one of the first ones to post this rumour about SWP ( in another thread ) i decided to do some digging to find the source of the rumour ? I was told about it by someone who had read it !

This is what i found, pay close attention to the source ???

Chelsea have sparked a summer scramble for winger Shaun Wright-Phillips by admitting he can leave Stamford Bridge for £10million.

The 25-year-old cost the Blues £21million when he was signed from Manchester City in July 2005.

But he has failed to cement a regular first-team place under Jose Mourinho, and The S.hit S*n !  claim he could now cash in on Wright-Phillips to generate transfer funds for his own squad strengthening plans.

Roman Abramovich's wallet has been closed to the Portuguese coach, who has added three new players to his playing pool in the form of Claudio Pizarro, Steve Sidwell and Ben Haim - but all on free transfers.

Mourinho already has a headache over who to select in midfield, with the likes of Michael Ballack, Frank Lampard, Arjen Robben, Michael Essien and Jon Obi Mikel battling for starting roles.

The Blues boss knows Wright-Phillips has a number of admirers willing to meet the club's asking price, with Aston Villa, Tottenham, Liverpool, Newcastle, West Ham and his former employers City all in the running.

Sadly there looks to be no truth in it when you consider the source, no smoke without fire though as they say, although this time it looks like a chimney
:laugh:

Just for the sake of it though, i consider him a better player than Lennon, who seems to be mentioned by a few as a comparison. Looks more comfortable on the ball and despite whats been said he can actually cross a ball and does so more than Lennon does. If there was a slight possibility he was available i would be more than happy for us to go after him, would Chelsea sell to us ? who knows, but when you consider the chances of the story being true its immaterial anyway
destro

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:39 pm

I was at an engagement party  couple of months ago and was chatting to his mum Sharon and his brother Bradley, we got round to talking about shawn and she said she hated him being at chelski and wish he would move, when he decided to leave man city Liverpool did come in for him and even with her brothers begging him to come to us as there all Liverpool supporters he loves london to much . So we went in for him once i cant see us going in for him again he will stay in london. Good player though
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mr_weed_80@hotmail.com » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:09 pm

i'd welcome SWP with open arms yet iv noticed that a number of wingers currently lack crossing abilities which was a key area for improvement which was decided throughout the season

we need a young beckham in the making n i haven't a clue who that is yet but if anyone knows someone with that quality of crossing we should take a closer look!
mr_weed_80@hotmail.com

Postby The Hitman » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:24 pm

NANNY RED wrote:I was at an engagement party  couple of months ago and was chatting to his mum Sharon and his brother Bradley, we got round to talking about shawn and she said she hated him being at chelski and wish he would move, when he decided to leave man city Liverpool did come in for him and even with her brothers begging him to come to us as there all Liverpool supporters he loves london to much . So we went in for him once i cant see us going in for him again he will stay in london. Good player though

Didn't know that we were in for him before mate , obviously loves the money ,
why would any player not want to play for liverpool ?
The Hitman

Postby mungi » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:51 am

yeh wingers ability to cross these days is generally very poor. SWP would be a good buy
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1182161184 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:13 am

We need more cover on the right.  Stevie shouldn't be used there IMO.  SWP is a bit similar to Pennant though.  Bit inconsistent too.

Any other suggestions for the right?
66-1182161184

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:17 am

more of a goal threat than pennant but his delivery isn't as good.

he's nailed on to end up at west ham imo.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby puroresu » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:18 am

Im not convinced SWP will want to play for West Ham
puroresu

Postby 66-1182161184 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:22 am

I think he'd most likely want Champs League football, and we can offer that, but it seems the Hammers have alot of money to tempt people with and with money can come successs.

We need to buck our league ideas up as there is going to be a lot of competition for that 4th spot this season.
66-1182161184

Postby Geo » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:37 am

dont think he is that much better than pennant and chelsea will probably want some extreme transfer fee. not the type of quality we need to be signing, plus chelsea players who have left havnt really excelled at their new clubs.
Geo

Postby murphy0151 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:29 pm

If 10 million is the price id love shaun here at our club.  We need a right midfielder so why not?
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:43 pm

Brookside wrote:Any other suggestions for the right?

Ludovic Guily is available for £1.5m.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby puroresu » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:09 pm

stmichael wrote:
Brookside wrote:Any other suggestions for the right?

Ludovic Guily is available for £1.5m.

I thought he recently said he wants to stay at Barca.
puroresu

Postby wardevil » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:54 pm

s@int wrote:Slightly better than Pennant, more direct ,faster, better shot, but cant cross. If we hadn't already got Pennant ,swp would be a good buy, as we have Pennant I think we should be looking a bit higher to make a difference. Its just a pity he has wasted his time at Chelsea, but perhaps too late for us now.

I think I like pennant more, he's faster and makes really good passes. But he could be a good guy on the bench :D
Last edited by wardevil on Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wardevil

Postby 109-1182120412 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:58 pm

Exactly, unless we're planning to offload Pennant, then we might think about swp but we have other targets in mind. Plus, Chelsea ain't gonna give him to us easily.
109-1182120412

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill