Reinforcement Plans

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Ray Pugh » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:17 pm

As far as I know these players are available on a Bosman in the summer:

Walcott, Sturridge, Llorente, Tello, Huntelaar, Holtby, Moussa Sissoko, Yanga-Mbiwa, Tom Ince (might come back?)

There are others available like Ashley Cole, Hangeland but for me the above are more likely options.

Personally I’d be looking to buy Huntelaar in January and either Walcott (preference) or Sturridge. Then possibly tie up others on a pre-contract. Tello I think will actually stay at Barca but if we could get Llorente and Moussa Sissoko to come next season, I’d be very happy.

What's everyone else's thoughts
Ray Pugh

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:36 pm

Walcott, Sturridge, Llorente would all improve our squad, but at what cost? 

Walcott is holding out for 100 grand a week and Llorente is said to want 150k.  Will our board pay that?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:46 pm

Certainly wont pay £150 grand a week for Llorente

Walcott isn't worth £100 grand a week as well.

Can't see us getting Walcott or even going for him.
Benny The Noon

Postby Ray Pugh » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:27 pm

Top teams have top players and top players are on top money.

So it's up to FSG really, what are they trying to achieve.

Plus if our youngsters become top players they will only want top money or move to a top team to get it.

That's football these days, you've gotta pay it one way or another if you want success
Ray Pugh

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:32 pm

Ray Pugh » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:27 pm wrote:Top teams have top players and top players are on top money.

Plus if our youngsters become top players they will only want top money or move to a top team to get it.

That's football these days, you've gotta pay it one way or another if you want success

True.

I'd love for us to get Llorente but can't see our board paying that sort of money. Walcott and Sturridge are more realistic and should be signed up ASAP.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:40 pm

Ray Pugh » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:27 pm wrote:Top teams have top players and top players are on top money.

We won't be paying massive wages until we improve our income.

The club will work within a sustainable budget.

And currently we aren't a top club
Benny The Noon

Postby Ray Pugh » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:48 pm

For me Huntelaar is a must in January.

Ok he may be 29 but we need a proven goalscorer now. He should link up well with Suarez as they did at Ajax plus he should be available for a reduced fee. It would give everyone a lift at the club.
Ray Pugh

Postby Ray Pugh » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:52 pm

Benny one way to increase our revenue is to qualify for the Champions League. I don't see 2 new top players in January making us into title contenders but it might just get us in to the top 4. If so we can then kick on from there and hopefully get more top players
Ray Pugh

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:56 pm

Ray Pugh » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:52 pm wrote:Benny one way to increase our revenue is to qualify for the Champions League. I don't see 2 new top players in January making us into title contenders but it might just get us in to the top 4. If so we can then kick on from there and hopefully get more top players

The owners aren't going to do it by spending big money on either fees or wages - a new structure is in place.

We aren't going to be looking at 29 year old players - it's all about building a solid foundation for the future.

It's about doing it right as opposed to doing it quickly.

CL football will be the aim next season maybe but not this one.
Benny The Noon

Postby parchpea » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:27 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:40 pm wrote:
Ray Pugh » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:27 pm wrote:Top teams have top players and top players are on top money.

We won't be paying massive wages until we improve our income.

The club will work within a sustainable budget.

And currently we aren't a top club

This is true and the reality is we will be looking at Assaidi type signings or short
term loans to boost numbers and names like Llorente are fantasy at this point.

Even lads like Huntelaar and Sturridge wont be coming in either with latter no
doubt reasonably content to be part of a top outfit and on decent coin to boot.

I would love Fenway to take a punt and give us a cash injection but we have seen
this film before and it simply wont happen.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Ray Pugh » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:28 pm

Fair enough, I'm liking that we are looking to younger players but sometimes it's about getting the right mix.

Let's say Huntelaar costs less than 10 million and we look at paying him £80-100 thousand a week but we only get a good 3-4 years out of him. If he were to solve our current goals problem, he would be a fairly solid investment in my view.

If we signed a number of these players it could be detrimental to the club but the odd one here and there to solve immediate problems surely that is good management
Ray Pugh

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:35 pm

Those players aren't the ones the owners and management will look too - short term fixes won't happen IMO
Benny The Noon

Postby ethanr » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:37 pm

I brought it up in another post, I feel the possibility of us getting Llorente is at least possible now.  He wants to leave, his club want to sell him, he hasn't started any games for Bilbao this season only came off the bench, he hasn't been getting called up by Spain, and he's not playing anywhere as near as good as he's capable.

They need to sell him in January so they at least get something from him, and the only club I really see going after him in the prem against us would be spurs, but they don't really need him.  He's not the hot property he was last summer, so I think it's at least a possibility.

Whether we're even interested in him, I don't know.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:39 pm

Can't afford or will pay the sort of wages he wants - 100 grand after tax ! Also wants out of Bilbao because he wants CL football. Rules us out.

Llorente is fantasy stuff
Benny The Noon

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:49 pm

no one knows for sure who we will or won't sign, but younger players like Walcott and Sturidge are more likely that others mentioned
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill