My suspicions

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:17 pm

Doubts have emerged over Jose Mourinho's interest in the England manager's job, according to reports in the national press.

The former Chelsea boss had emerged as the bookmakers and fans' favourite to replace Steve McClaren who was axed in the wake of England's failure to qualify for Euro 2008.

When questioned by Sky Sports News on Friday as to whether he could be the next England boss, Mourinho responded: "Why not?"

Football Association chief executive Brian Barwick has been charged with the task of appointing McClaren's successor and is believed to have already held talks with Mourinho's agent Jorge Mendes.

Club link

But the News of the World reports that the Portuguese coach has now decided he would prefer to take a job in club football, despite initially showing great interest in the FA's advances.

The Sunday Express also suggests that Mourinho will not take the national job, linking him with a move to Barcelona should under-pressure Frank Rijkaard be axed.

But the Mail on Sunday and the People still have the former Stamford Bridge boss, who won back-to-back Premier League titles with the Blues, firmly in the frame to replace McClaren.

Stay tuned to skysports.com and we will bring you all the latest news on the FA's hunt for the next England boss.

FA contact

And FA director of communications Adrian Bevington insists that they will not be deterred from contacting any managerial targets, even those who have publicly ruled themselves out.

He told BBC Radio Five Live's Sportsweek programme: "You only find out if someone is prepared to say no once you actually put it to them.

"You cannot work on the basis of what is said in the media. People often have a different opinion when they speak in public than they have in private.

"The only way to find out where someone is on the England job, if you believe they are someone you want to speak to, is when you actually ask them a direct question.

"We should not rule anyone out. Why would we until we have an appointment? It would be very naive of us to do so. We have an open mind."

No deadline

Bevington insists the FA will not be rushed into making an appointment and are determined to get the right man for the job.

He added: "Why would we put a self-imposed deadline on it? There is no need to when we don't have a match until February and don't have a competitive one until September.

"Once we have had some initial calls and once we know what sort of numbers we are talking about, we will get on with it at a pace we feel is appropriate.

"A lot of progress has been made already. We are fully on track and we will not be caught cold. We are determined to get the right calibre of man. Someone who has a real success record in football."

Every other day he seems to be linked with England, but I think he has a soft spot for LFC. I think he's monitering the situation between Rafa and the Yanks, after the result against Reading he now says he's not interested, funny that it coincided with a bad result for Rafa.

He's hanging around IMO I reckon. He's waiting to see what happens when Rafa and the septics meet. I cant see them personally sacking Rafa, but IF they did I think he'd have his hand up like the classroom no it atall shouting ... 'Pick me pick me'

If all goes well for Rafa during this meeting, he'll take the England job.

Betcha.
66-1112520797

Postby bigmick » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:51 pm

I've been saying this for a while now and I'm not trying to take credit for the idea. Capello said last week that there had been "contact" between his people and the club, and many laughed it off as nonsense. I said at the time I thought they were burying their heads in the sand, and also showing a naievety as to the way these things work and I still think that.

What does "contact" mean? Well it doesn't mean Rick Parry rings up and says "Hey Fabio, don't book any holidays over the next couple of months will ya?". It could well be a representative of Capello's, contacting the club or it's owners through a third party and quietly making them aware that should the position become available etc etc. I guess some managers sit on their erse and wait for the phone to ring, just like some people looking for any type of job sit on their erse and wait for the phone to ring, but a lot of managers get off their butt and make a few calls. If you've got a record like Capello's why wouldn't you? Why risk bumping into some owner at a youth tournament in Holland and having him say "Christ if I'd known YOU were available". It's just like any job, some of them get advertised in the paper but a lot of them are picked up by somebody who knows it's becoming available and puts a word in for themselves, or gets someone else to do it.

"Hi Mr Parry, I'm a representitive of an agent associated with Fabio Capello the most successful manager in European football. I was wondering if I could meet for some informal and confidential talks either with yourself or with your owners with regards to etc etc." That's contact, and if you read any managers journals you'll see that's exactly what goes on. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it in my opinion either. You'll get those that say "that's totally out of order if the manager is still in his job, undermining him like that". I would ask them to look in the mirror and tell me they've never had a little word with the boss when he's moaning about so and so, a little casual remark to put themselves in the frame? No? well they should give it a go because it works.

Now onto Mourinho. If he wants the Liverpool job (which I believe he does), does anybody seriously believe he won't have had a word in the appropriate ears to the effect that the bloke who won the Premiership title twice in the last three seasons, AND won the Champions League with a different club, is ready, available and willing? I believe he will hjave done exactly that if he does want the job, and what's more if the owners were to pull the trigger on Rafa (which wouldn't be the greatest surprise to me TBPH) I think he'll get the job, however much we all dislike the little fecker.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to The Rumour Mill