Mascherano

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby peterc1992 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:32 pm

A.B. wrote:
red37 wrote:
A.B. wrote:I'd love to see Mascherano here at Anfield. Quality player imo who isn't given a chance at West Ham for whatever stupid reason.

I fully agree mate..IF we can procure his services (and much depends on the sympathetic souls at FIFA in allowing it to happen)  Rules state a player cannot move to a third club during a season. Yet special dispensation may be sanctioned due to West Hams recent takeover and the restrictions coming about through the 'Restraint of Trade'  it certainly seems to be getting a good airing..... could it also spell the end of Sissoko, if of course it all falls into place?  Time may reveal all...

Personally I don't think it would spell the end of Sissoko, we would still need him. It would give us quality in depth in the center of midfield.

Theoretically you could play all four of them really.  :D

Alonso       Mascherano

Sissoko

Gerrard                                          Kewell

that would look well but if thats the case,good bye to garcia,pennant or gonzalez,take ur pick,when kewell gets back and if we get macherano,u cant have these 3 other players,i say pennant
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:54 pm

peterc1992 wrote:
A.B. wrote:
red37 wrote:
A.B. wrote:I'd love to see Mascherano here at Anfield. Quality player imo who isn't given a chance at West Ham for whatever stupid reason.

I fully agree mate..IF we can procure his services (and much depends on the sympathetic souls at FIFA in allowing it to happen)  Rules state a player cannot move to a third club during a season. Yet special dispensation may be sanctioned due to West Hams recent takeover and the restrictions coming about through the 'Restraint of Trade'  it certainly seems to be getting a good airing..... could it also spell the end of Sissoko, if of course it all falls into place?  Time may reveal all...

Personally I don't think it would spell the end of Sissoko, we would still need him. It would give us quality in depth in the center of midfield.

Theoretically you could play all four of them really.  :D

Alonso       Mascherano

Sissoko

Gerrard                                          Kewell

that would look well but if thats the case,good bye to garcia,pennant or gonzalez,take ur pick,when kewell gets back and if we get macherano,u cant have these 3 other players,i say pennant

Like i said....depending on the game.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby welsh wizzard » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:20 pm

What gets me is why is he not getting his games for Westham. Is it his attitude or is he not suited to the english game, is the premiership to fast for him. He is a quality player but why is a quality player not being given a chance in the westham line up especially the way they are playing. Veron springs to mind Argentinian players alike and we all know that Veron was a massive flop in this league. So its a difficult one to make. Has he got what it takes to make it in the premiership.

I have a funny feeling he hasn't!!  Thus the reason Westham want rid.
welsh wizzard
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby massie1903 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:17 am

If we get Mascherano, there would be too much centre midfielders. Maybe if we let one or two go, don't want to end up doing what Chelsea do and play a 4-man midfield full of Centre-mids.

Maybe that's why they are rubbish! :D
massie1903

Postby aCe' » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:18 am

THAT IS WHY THEY ARE RUBBISH INDEED !

Mascherano is a great player... better than Sissoko in many aspects of the game... if it were upto me... he'd be called up ahead of sissoko EVERY SINGLE game...

Problem is not sissoko though... problem is Gerrard !

Gerrard is one of the best central midfielders in the world... only a decent right midfielder though !
i know he scored 23 or whatever... but that doesnt change the fact that hes a better CM than a RM..
we have all seen what a transformation playing Gerrard in the middle has brought to the club this season... i think it would be very stupid of benitez taking him back to the right side !

Only now are we playing good football against decent sides... passing the ball around like the big club we are and dominating posession ! Mascherano is a very good player dont get me wrong... but he is no X.Alonso and he is definitely no Steven Gerrard !
I dont think Mascherano would settle for being 3rd choice and Sissoko most certainly wont settle for being 4th ! buying mascherano imo is Rafas waying of ttelling all liverpoool fans that gerrard is there to play in the right side for the long run.... something i see as inacceptable and idiotic !

At 6 million though... mascherano would make a great buy ! just not a player liverpool need atm !

Id be delighted if we sign him... wont be dissapointed if we dont !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:44 pm

welsh wizzard wrote:What gets me is why is he not getting his games for Westham. Is it his attitude or is he not suited to the english game, is the premiership to fast for him. He is a quality player but why is a quality player not being given a chance in the westham line up especially the way they are playing. Veron springs to mind Argentinian players alike and we all know that Veron was a massive flop in this league. So its a difficult one to make. Has he got what it takes to make it in the premiership.

I have a funny feeling he hasn't!!  Thus the reason Westham want rid.

Hmmm... why is he not playing??

According to the BBC website:

"he has played just six minutes since the defeat at Tottenham on 22 October"
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:02 pm

Looks like this one's wrapped up!

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:05 pm

if mascherano does sign, i'd like to hear the justification for still playing gerrard in the centre of midfield.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:32 pm

Apart from the fact that most people think he's quality, I'd like to hear the justification for spending £6 million on a player we don't need . Surely £6 mill could go towards spending on area's that obviously need more improvement  ? (Left back , Left mid , etc.)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:36 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Apart from the fact that most people think he's quality, I'd like to hear the justification for spending £6 million on a player we don't need . Surely £6 mill could go towards spending on area's that obviously need more improvement  ? (Left back , Left mid , etc.)

According to Bascombe, the deal will be a loan until the end of the season. It's ideal imo.

It would be very interesting if we set up with him and Xabi in the middle and Gerrard slightly ahead in a makeshift 4-3-3 with our wingers and or Kuyt/Bellamy with another of our forwards in the middle.

Valencia like.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:29 pm

I heard that the fee had dropped to £4m.
In light of the fact he has played very little football in England so far the idea of a loan move is the best one IMO.

Also means we have money left over to strengthen in other areas of the squad!
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby destro » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:09 pm

rather him than tevez !! our team is ugly enough, and according to either zoo or nuts magazine ( who are always right!) we could have ribery  from marseille for 18million. we could end up with the ugliest team ever luke chadwick would be the ugly icing on the cake :D
destro

Postby scouser 'til I die » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:33 am

destro wrote:rather him than tevez !! our team is ugly enough, and according to either zoo or nuts magazine ( who are always right!) we could have ribery  from marseille for 18million. we could end up with the ugliest team ever luke chadwick would be the ugly icing on the cake :D

And Gareth Southgate as the manager  :laugh:

You'll Never Walk Alone
scouser 'til I die

Postby mattylfc » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:52 am

Taken from sky sport this morning.

Fifa look ready to scupper Liverpool's attempt to sign Javier Mascherano on a loan deal, despite reports indicating that the Argentinian midfielder is close to a move to Merseyside.

Mascherano looks set to become one of the first departures under new West Ham boss Alan Curbishley after failing to adjust to life in the Premiership since his shock transfer deadline day signing from Corinthians.

The holding midfielder has pleaded with The Hammers to let him seek pastures new, and Reds boss Benitez has reputedly offered Mascherano an escape route from his Upton Park malaise.

Widespread reports in the English media indicate that talks regarding a loan switch to Anfield are at an advanced stage, but Fifa rules prohibit a player from appearing for three separate sides in the same season.

Now a spokesman for the governing body has confirmed that the rules will not be broken to facilitate Mascherano's potential move to Merseyside.

"The rules are very clear. Article 5.3 states that, although a player can be registered for a maximum of three clubs during the period from 1st July to 30th June, he is only eligible to play in official matches for two clubs in this period," a Fifa spokesman told The Times.

"In the case of Mascherano or [Carlos] Tevez, they have already played for Corinthians and West Ham United.

"The rule is binding. It cannot be deactivated just because it suits the clubs and the player in a certain instance.

"These rules were drawn up to protect the interests of players and clubs and to provide more stability in football.

"If a case was formally submitted to the Fifa bodies, then of course the Fifa bodies would look at it, but the view from our legal department is very clear that the regulations cannot be broken."
mattylfc

Postby Pedro O'Maradona » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:55 pm

i reckon hed be a great signing. He was world class with Argentina in the world cup and he was excellent with River Plate before himself and Tevez went to Corinthians. Would a loan deal until the end of the season get around the fifa ruling? I wouldnt blame mascherano or tevez for not performing in that west ham team, Apart from the whole west ham team playing really bad I would say they werent exactly welcomed by the playing staff when they arrived there
Pedro O'Maradona

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill