Kris boyd - Should we be going for him?

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Owzat » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:43 am

Gers striker Kris Boyd's agent holds talks with Villa 

Striker Kris Boyd looks increasingly likely to remain at Rangers, at least until the summer.

The Ibrox club's top scorer is out of contract at the end of the season, with Aston Villa the latest team to have enquired about him via his agent.

But any move by the Premier League side to sign Boyd would likely take place in the summer, under freedom of contract.

Boyd is still considering his options, which include interest from Birmingham City and a new deal from Rangers.

Rangers have yet to receive any bids for the 26-year-old in the January transfer window.

The Scottish Premier League's all-time leading goalscorer is sidelined until mid-February after a hernia operation.

He was forced to leave the field at New Douglas Park in his team's Scottish Cup tie against Hamilton on 10 January and had surgery in Manchester a few days later.

If Boyd were to sign a pre-contract agreement with Martin O'Neill's side, it would allow Boyd to stay at Ibrox for the remainder of this season as Rangers make a bid for the treble.

Boyd's agent discussed a new deal with chief executive Martin Bain earlier this month.

Rangers manager Walter Smith is keen to retain his services and assistant manager Ally McCoist has said the club "would be crazy" not to try to keep him.

The Ibrox strike partnership of Boyd and Kenny Miller has produced 31 SPL goals so far this season, with Rangers' in-demand star the scorer of 19.

The striker was named Clydesdale Bank Premier League player of the month for December and his goals have helped Rangers move nine points clear at the top of the table.

Last month Boyd broke Henrik Larsson's SPL goals record of 158 when he netted five times in a 7-1 demolition of Dundee United.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8472745.stm

Out of contract at the end of the season, ok his goals are only in SPL (19 goals in 19 league games this season), but the price is right and even if he finds it too hard moving up a league, we can always sell him off for a tidy profit with other clubs bound to be willing to offer £3m-£5m for a player with that kind of record, minimum, even if he was sold back to the SPL.

His Scotland record, 7 goals in 15 appearances for a team that hasn't been to a major finals since 1998, looks good but is rather Crouch-esque in as much as the goals were against Bulgaria (x2), Faroes (x2), Georgia, South Africa and Lithuania.

He's 27 around the start of next season, so age isn't a major concern, if we're prepared to pay big money for strikers from Holland and France, why not take one from SPL for free?

He is now the SPL's all-time top scorer, the mancs went for the previous topscorer Larsson who was hardly young at the time, and had no great record in his times in Holland (26 goals in 101 league games) and Spain (13 goals in 40 league games), only in Sweden and Scotland. His international goals largely aren't against much better opposition than Boyd's, four against Moldova, three against Iceland, four against Bulgaria with Malta, Lithuania, Macedonia, Hungary, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Wales and Luxembourg amongst other teams that make up about half his international goals.

Worth a punt IMHO, nothing much to lose on a free.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:25 am

Scores a LOT of goals  (broke Larssons record), but only in a very poor league. Always seems to be benched for the BIG games ....even in Scotland. Is an out and out goalscorer and does little else, which is great when the goals are flying in, but zero contribution when they aren't. Probably would be worth a punt if we can't get any of the better players we are in for.
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:27 am

Not for me no.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:59 am

I dont think he would be anywhere near good enough personally.
Does know where the net is but like saint said he is poor with the rest of his game.
Surely we could do better ?
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:39 am

Even I could score goals in the SPL....no bleedin' way.....and forget the McGeady idea as well...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby JamCar05 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:07 pm

I will have to pass on this suggestion aswell. Surely we MUST be able to do better than that, great goalscoring record or not.
JamCar05

Postby paisleyred » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:12 pm

His attitude stinks.
The league standard up here is shocking.
Larsson as a comparison didnt set the heather alight at manu.
Only player worth anything from spl signed for wigan lst year.
james mccarthy.
paisleyred

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:23 pm

We were in for Mccarthy at one point funnily enough :D
LFC2007

Postby puroresu » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:24 pm

paisleyred wrote:His attitude stinks.
james mccarthy.

lol how old was larsson.  larsson was genuine world class.  a great player.

boyd is average.
puroresu

Postby Owzat » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:27 am

puroresu wrote:
paisleyred wrote:His attitude stinks.
james mccarthy.

lol how old was larsson.  larsson was genuine world class.  a great player.

boyd is average.

Matter of perception, "Larsson is world class", when I checked and his record isn't that great, so either you reckon 13 goals in 40 games in Spain is a raging success, or you choose to go with what you believe than believe the evidence presented.

I've not said he will be a success, just that it might be worth a punt to increase our striking options with a BOSMAN and with a player we should be able to make a decent profit on.

And if "lazy" and a bad attitude get you 19 goals in 19 games, what does that say about all the previous strikers in Scotland?!?! We all know SPL isn't a great league, but does that automatically mean that just because someone plays in it they can't do well in England!?!?!?! That is a silly stance, if someone can be prolific to the point they are scoring well over a goal every other game, even in a weak league, then they must be better than the standard of that league
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leep33 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:27 am

He scores goals but admittedly in a poor league, he also does not contribute much else to the team i would regard this as a desperation buy.
leep33

Postby paisleyred » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:00 am

the standard of the spl has dropped dramatically since the days of larsson.
i watched the motherwell stmirren game yesterday.it was trully shocking.
i dont post much but trust me when i say boyd is a no go.
he may sign for birmingham or villa last a season or two then head back to his comfort zone(spl)in a season or two.
shaun maloney done the same.
paisleyred

Postby paisleyred » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:06 am

forgot about steven fletcher at burnley.would have taken him in a minute.vey young and would thrive at a club like liverpool.missed the boat as would now cost a few mill.
paisleyred

Postby roberto green » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:35 am

As soon as I hear us linked with anyone from the SPL It doesn't exactly fill me with excitement.
roberto green

Postby dawson99 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:30 pm

Boyd scores goals. hes very slow, cant tackle, cant run back, but as far as poachers go hes not that bad
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to The Rumour Mill