Figueroa

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby neil » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:07 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
bigmick wrote:Out of all the twenty odd names which have been mentioned, my choces would be:

1. Figuroa
2. Salsido (the Mexican bloke)
3. Wayne Bridge.

Mind you, I've never even heard of the other 24 players mentioned, never mind seen them play.

did  you watch the world cup?  (I am guessing that is where you have seen Salcido right?)

Have you watched in any of the like past 5 matches we played against Atletico Madrid in the last 2 years?

he plays for psv and was class in the world cup before that.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:17 pm

For those asking, quote from Figueroa agent re Liverpool move being '90% done' is from Honduran paper 'El Heraldo'
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:44 pm

bigmick wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:
bigmick wrote:Out of all the twenty odd names which have been mentioned, my choces would be:

1. Figuroa
3. Wayne Bridge.

Mind you, I've never even heard of the other 24 players mentioned, never mind seen them play.

did  you watch the world cup?  (I am guessing that is where you have seen Salcido right?)

Have you watched in any of the like past 5 matches we played against Atletico Madrid in the last 2 years?

Yes and yes Joe. I don't have a memory for players though beyond a few days, unless they're unbelievebly impressive or I see them quite a few times. The only left back I saw last season who didn't play in the Premiership who really stuck in my mind was the curly headed bloke who played for Benfica. Now he was a player.

The truth is if I'm honest that I find European football a bit boring in the main and it just doesn't stick in my head like English football does. All the diving and gesticulating just wears me down I'm afraid and I find myself drifting off. I watched much of the World Cup for instance, but I'd struggle to name to name you many players who massively impressed me. On the other hand I could watch Crystal Palace against Preston and I'd back myself to spot you a player relative to the rest anyday of the week.

Wierd really but there it is.

David Luiz is actually a centre back that plays LB in a pinch, although he was impressive against us.  He is also only 23.

I find the Bundesliga to be entertaining.  Not a lot of diving.  Lots of teams all about the same level, 3/4 of the teams with at least one player that catches your eye, packed stadiums, decent refereeing, generally an attacking style of play, etc.

But I can certainly see what you mean about boring matches in Italy or Spain.
JoeTerp

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:47 pm

neil wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:

1. Figuroa
3. Wayne Bridge.

he plays for psv and was class in the world cup before that.

I knew that, but I wouldn't expect BigMick to follow much of the Eredivisie.  I only follow it through reading up on how players on doing, don't have time to watch any matches, they are only on in America through ESPN's internet channel.
JoeTerp

Postby Dundalk » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:12 pm

£7m by the looks of things

Mods feel free to put this in the Rumour Mill if yous want
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:04 pm

I hope he's better than the last fullback we paid 7 million quid for. I think I am in fairness so there's no reason why he shouldn't be.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:12 pm

bigmick wrote:I hope he's better than the last fullback we paid 7 million quid for. I think I am in fairness so there's no reason why he shouldn't be.

I hope he is better than the one currently operating on the right ...otherwise Liverpool's defence will be a virtual sieve ...
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:39 pm

According to a report in the Daily Mirror, experienced PSV defender Carlos Salcido has attracted the interest of Premier League outfit Liverpool with his good performances for Mexico at the 2010 World Cup.

Liverpool parted company with Fabio Aurelio earlier this summer and Emiliano Insua is set to leave the Reds for Fiorentina. Therefore, manager Roy Hodgson wants to add a new defender to his squad and the former Fulham gaffer supposedly considers Salcido to be the perfect addition to his back-line.

Salcido joined PSV from Guadalajara in the summer of 2006 and has since developed into a key player at the Eindhoven side. The 30-year-old has made 121 Eredivisie appearances for PSV, scoring three goals in the process.

The versatile defender's current contract with PSV runs until the summer of 2012, but the Eredivisie titans are keen to cash in on Salcido this transfer window. They've reportedly set a €3 million asking price for the defender.

Liverpool reportedly face stiff competition from clubs such as Valencia, Wigan Athletic and Roma in the race for Salcido's signature.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:00 pm

JoeTerp wrote:I find the Bundesliga to be entertaining.  Not a lot of diving.  Lots of teams all about the same level, 3/4 of the teams with at least one player that catches your eye, packed stadiums, decent refereeing, generally an attacking style of play, etc.

But I can certainly see what you mean about boring matches in Italy or Spain.

Imo the Bundesliga is probably the most entertaining of the big leagues in europe atm. It might not have the best players but the way it is run makes it very entertaining to watch, and I dont even follow any of the german teams.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:04 pm

Looks a big unit and a powerful player Figueroa and has 2 years Premiership experienced behind him. Hodgson will know what the lad can do and offers plus hes at a good age 27 and his career is moving forward. By all accounts he can produce on set pieces and throw the ball in long which is worth having in the toolbox of any team. He ticks more boxes than Insua and so swapping one for another I think we are improving things, so it appears to be a good deal for us if it goes through.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Tim LFC » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:13 pm

aCe' wrote:According to a report in the Daily Mirror, experienced PSV defender Carlos Salcido has attracted the interest of Premier League outfit Liverpool with his good performances for Mexico at the 2010 World Cup.

Liverpool parted company with Fabio Aurelio earlier this summer and Emiliano Insua is set to leave the Reds for Fiorentina. Therefore, manager Roy Hodgson wants to add a new defender to his squad and the former Fulham gaffer supposedly considers Salcido to be the perfect addition to his back-line.

Salcido joined PSV from Guadalajara in the summer of 2006 and has since developed into a key player at the Eindhoven side. The 30-year-old has made 121 Eredivisie appearances for PSV, scoring three goals in the process.

The versatile defender's current contract with PSV runs until the summer of 2012, but the Eredivisie titans are keen to cash in on Salcido this transfer window. They've reportedly set a €3 million asking price for the defender.

Liverpool reportedly face stiff competition from clubs such as Valencia, Wigan Athletic and Roma in the race for Salcido's signature.

So we're going to steal Figuroa and Salcido off Wigan?   :wwww
Tim LFC

Postby Fauxy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Figueroa is a very good player. Doesnt really have any stand out weakness he just doesnt perticularly excel at one thing, although he can obviously strike a ball quite accurately :laugh:

Salcido is also a very good player, but better at attacking than Figueroa.. probably not as good defensivley.

I would rather Figueroa because he is younger, cheaper and is a well balanced full back which we have lacked for a long time.
Fauxy

Postby Raoul » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:43 am

A 30 year old Salcido sounds like the sort of player you'd buy if you were keeping Insua - someone for Insua to deputise for, learn from and finally replace. Still, we need a couple of LBs. Happy enough with Figueroa, and I guess with young players like Darby and Mavinga coming through Salcido isn't a bad shout. By the time his time is up, we'll know if the youngsters have the goods or not.
Last edited by Raoul on Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:16 am

Got a text before to say the deal has been done for Figueroa and hes having a medical this week, 6 million
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:24 am

maguskwt wrote:our ex left-back who scored some amazing goals back when he was playing for us was abused on here fore being defensively unsound...  :laugh: ... and they only knew his true worth when lousier left-backs replaced him...

Wow, there's "proof" if ever I saw it. Just because there have been worse left-backs, doesn't mean Riise was that good - if they are/were indeed worse.

Riise was not the greatest LB, that is why he was shoved into midfield and back again. He was neither good enough to be a LB nor good enough to play LM, the obvious move was to try and find a better LB.

His presence arguably contributed to the departure of Warnock who for me is the better LB...................................
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill