Sky lose exclusive tv premiership rights

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Judge » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:39 am

stmichael wrote:Just heard on the radio that Sky have lost the exclusive rights to broadcast live Premiership football from 2007 onwards.

Do you think this is good or bad?.

Despite the bias that undoubtedly runs through Sky their actual coverage of the games themselves is top notch and streets better than the BBC and that shambles that is ITV.

I can just see it now if football is live in the evenings on the BBC. The kick off times would be changed to accomodate Eastenders just like our UEFA Cup match against Barcelona in 2001 was.

i understood it to be more of an open bid by the other tv companies, and that they will be able to get tv footage on their channels, rather than sky just outbidding everyone.

i think it'll be similar to tier bidding, or tier guarantees
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:52 am

I think it just has to be split between at least two companies.  What worries me is that NTL/Telewest will be the other company and Live Premiership football still won't be on terrestrial.  We've got no cable laid where I live.  We used to have Sky Digital but I only watched one live match a week, which worked out at £10/match!
:O
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby ckay » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:54 am

they way it was explained on the news was that skt could get 7 out of the 8 groups. ( if they bid enough )

For the Beeb and ITV to get any, there gonna have to spend some serious cash or join forces with another TV company.

Look what happened when the bid for the Championship on digital!!!

It'll get split between sky and NTL and we'll still have to pay for games and the clubs wil just get richer.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:57 am

its about time the beeb started using adverts to gain revenue, as im sick of buying a tv license and paying for sky also.

the only thing good on the beeb was little britiain last night and re-runs of only fools and horses
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:57 am

2520years wrote:I think it just has to be split between at least two companies.  What worries me is that NTL/Telewest will be the other company and Live Premiership football still won't be on terrestrial.  We've got no cable laid where I live.  We used to have Sky Digital but I only watched one live match a week, which worked out at £10/match!
:O

oops, beat me to it mate!!
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:01 am

Judge wrote:its about time the beeb started using adverts to gain revenue, as im sick of buying a tv license and paying for sky also.

the only thing good on the beeb was little britiain last night and re-runs of only fools and horses

Little britain was fantastic though!!! That alone was worth what the mrs pays for our license.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:25 am

ckay wrote:
Judge wrote:its about time the beeb started using adverts to gain revenue, as im sick of buying a tv license and paying for sky also.

Little britain was fantastic though!!! That alone was worth what the mrs pays for our license.

your missus pays, how did you manage that chris ? :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:29 am

Judge wrote:
ckay wrote:

She's never wanted a joint bank account so I pay the monthly bills, she pays the weekly stuff anf the TV license. What ever's left is our own.

Seems to work fine for us!
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:32 am

ckay wrote:
Judge wrote:
ckay wrote:

She's never wanted a joint bank account so I pay the monthly bills, she pays the weekly stuff anf the TV license. What ever's left is our own.

Seems to work fine for us!

so, you never have any cash left then chris?  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:34 am

Not that she's aware of!!!!!  :D
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:40 am

good man :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:55 am

I am absolutely elated that the monopoly, Sky have, is being broken up.They have been instrumental in the massive cover up,that football never exsisted til they invented it in the early 90's
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Judge » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:05 am

they did give us (those with sky subscriptions) more football in the home, unlike the beeb etc.

i also think jeff stelling is great :)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:17 pm

You can get Jeff Stelling on Freeview - Soccer Saturday and Soccer Special (weekday nights) are free.  Shame about the matches and "You're on Sky Sports".
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:27 pm

I think it's good for business that there will be less of a monopoly in football. Not everyone can afford sky/cable, so it is excellent to heae that the people in that bracket will be able to enjoy live prem matches for a change :nod
Last edited by wrighty (not mark!) on Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion