Premiership in new £625m tv deal - Winners to get 50 million

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:16 pm

lets hope we start winning it again, from bbc

The winner of football's Premiership will net £50m from next season after the league agreed a new £625m deal for overseas television rights.

The extra income from the deal means even the team finishing bottom will claim about £26m. Current title holders Chelsea won £30m last season.

The money adds to income from domestic broadcast and internet contracts.

"This deal really does take us on to another level," said Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore.

Overseas appeal

The new contract covers coverage of the 2007/8, 2008/9 and 2009/10 seasons in 208 countries worldwide.

English clubs in Euro cash fear

The £625m raised is double that from existing overseas television deals and takes the Premiership's earnings from media rights over the three seasons to more than £2.7bn.

Mr Scudamore said the largest increase in payments for rights had been in the Middle East and in Asia, with the battle to show live games particularly fierce in Hong Kong.

"We have a cosmopolitan approach to players and a cosmopolitan approach to ownership and that is paying off," he said.

"No territories have gone down but in some cases the rights have ended up being sold for three or four times the current amount."

Rights divided

BSkyB and Setanta are sharing the domestic television rights for Premiership matches from next season.

The rivals were successful bidders in an auction to show top-flight games, beginning in the 2007/8 season.

The domestic TV rights auction generated £1.7bn ($3.1bn) for the Premier League, with BSkyB paying £1.3bn for its four packages of games and Setanta £392m for its two.

Setanta broke Sky's monopoly and has rights to 46 live matches a season, while BSkyB has won the rights to 92 live matches, including the "A" package of games on late Sunday afternoons.

The Premiership's appeal overseas has gone from strength to strength, thanks to high-profile players and the league's reputation for excitement.

"By focusing on the quality of the game, their players and their grounds, the clubs have produced a competition that people want to watch - both at matches and at home," added Mr Scudamore.

"That is the basis of our commercial success and I am confident that we will continue to invest in the best players and facilities to keep the Premier League where it is today - the most watched domestic football competition in the world."

Who wins?

BBC sports editor Mihir Bose said that the big winners of the new deal would be top-flight players and their agents, with supporters and lower league sides unlikely to see any real benefits.

Richard Hunter, of Hargreaves Lansdown Stockbrokers, added that extra money for the Premiership could potentially widen the gap between the top flight and the Championship.

"If you have the teams who are getting relegated from the Premiership pocketing £30m then in modern day terms that equates to three to five top players," he told BBC News 24.

"Presumably, if they can replace half their team, that gives them a very good chance of getting promoted again and the gap between the Premiership and the Championship may become wider."
112-1077774096

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:38 pm

if ever you wanted evidence of how important it is to be in the premiership next season, this is it.

the team that finishes bottom next season will get MORE money than chelsea got for winning the league last season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby weringo » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:34 pm

This still doesnt benefit us as much as it should, the smaller clubs are getting money from the revenue WE are generating from televised matches, and we are only getting a small cut of how much we actually should be getting.

Spanish and Italian clubs are getting all of the money generated themselves from televising matches
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:23 am

It's crazy.

The FA Premier League should invite twenty teams from the Championship to break away and form "Premiership 2"
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:20 am

so div one becomes champ and div 2 becomes div one? when div one should be 2 and 2 should be 3... or is it 4 now?

i dont understand it all, we are in div one as far as im concerned..the prem is division one!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:31 am

so div one becomes champ and div 2 becomes div one? when div one should be 2 and 2 should be 3... or is it 4 now?

i dont understand it all, we are in div one as far as im concerned..the prem is division one!

It would go like this:

FA Premiership
FA Premiership 2

Football League Championship
Football League Championship 2
Football League Championship 3

Conference

All leagues would have no more than twenty teams.

Thirty-eight games per season, in addition to cup games is more than enough per league.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bartzy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:05 pm

a bit pointless really. Whoever came bottom will get £4m off what chelsea won last season, and the won the league
COME ON YOU REDS
bartzy

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:41 am

All this is going to do is make the poor clubs even poorer, relegated teams will have more money than the others and so a cycle will begin where the same clubs get promoted and relegated. If this were to happen then I would like to see all money formed from the FA Cup or League Cup go directly to the lower clubs, its the only chance they will have left to compete.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby luukmuu » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:29 am

and liverpool will the trophy and big money next year
luukmuu

Postby grayghost » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:06 pm

Maybe with this money the prices for tickets will go down. And the prices for players will go up.
grayghost

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:46 pm

Chelsea could use fifty million.

I've heard Roman needs new rims for his son's toy cars
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion