Murphy on tackling - Ott or correctamundo ?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:45 pm

Danny Murphy spoke out this week against some of the tackling in the premiership and apart from our pantomime regarding the legal battle to get rid of the owners this has been the other story dominating SSN.

What's most people's thoughts on it ?

Fulham schemer Danny Murphy has added his voice to the current debate over bad tackles in the game.

According to Murphy, the blame lies not just with the perpetrators of the nasty challenges themselves, but also with their managers:

“You get managers sending teams out to stop other sides from playing, which is happening more and more. Stoke, Blackburn and Wolves, you can say they’re doing what they can to win the game, but the fact is that the managers are sending the players out so pumped up that inevitably there are going to be problems.

The thing I think people miss is that it’s the managers who dictate what the players do and how they behave. If you have a manager in control of his team, who doesn’t allow these things to go on you have a more disciplined team.”

Indeed, the drink driving analogy is one way of describing the situation at the moment. Players don’t go out to end someone’s career, just as a drink driver doesn’t aim to cause a traffic accident. However, the fact of the matter is, a reckless atttitude to tackling will, inevitably, lead to serious injuries, whether the intent is there or not.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby tubby » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:58 pm

All pundits and fans alike are entitled to their opinion but IMO players opinions should be held in higher regard. After all they have experience out on the pitch so I believe what he says. Some are saying he shouldn't have named the teams specifically but fk it everyone knows that's exactly what he does.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:01 pm

bavlondon wrote:All pundits and fans alike are entitled to their opinion but IMO players opinions should be held in higher regard. After all they have experience out on the pitch so I believe what he says. Some are saying he shouldn't have named the teams specifically but fk it everyone knows that's exactly what he does.

Personally i am made up  :D

We dont want tackling taken out of football at all but Wolves have been shocking this season and Wilkinsons tackle on the Fulham player was stupid.

They are definitely not the only sides and i am not sure players are going out to deliberately injure opponents.
But that isnt actually what Murphy said is it ?
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby tubby » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:13 pm

My take on it is that tackling is as bad now as it was years ago. What's changed is the pace of the game in England so that can sometimes intensify the effects of a bad challenge.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:16 pm

Fair play to him but he might get some rough treatment from them teams, i think they play Blackburn this week!
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:12 pm

Football is getting really poncy. Man up FFS!

I like seeing tough hard tackles. The more the Souness,Viera,Keane,McMahon types the better. F*ck the hair band brigade.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:03 pm

Big Niall wrote:Football is getting really poncy. Man up FFS!

I like seeing tough hard tackles. The more the Souness,Viera,Keane,McMahon types the better. F*ck the hair band brigade.

i bet you will be singing a different tune when someone prints his studs on your chest the way De Jong (i think) did to Alonso in the WC Final.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:11 pm

I dont think Spud had the ball long enough when he was at Liverpool  for any fucker to make a tackle :laugh:
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:21 pm

His comments have created a storm and after Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce challenged Murphy to publicly apologise for the remarks, Pulis has now had his say on the matter.

Reading a statement aloud at Friday's press conference, Pulis said: "Two challenges this season have been committed by top players who represented their countries at this summer's World Cup.

"One challenge on Newcastle's Hatem Ben Arfa by Nigel de Jong of Manchester City recently led to a broken bone. Another by Joe Cole, one of our most technically gifted players, resulted in a sending off for one of our most celebrated clubs in the country, Liverpool, who are currently managed by Roy Hodgson, someone I have great respect for.

"Even the technically best players are prone to making mistimed challenges, but have they really been sent out to hurt a fellow professional? I don't think so.

"How ironic it is that Danny Murphy chose not to discuss either challenge or manager in respect of those tackles. How selective can someone be? Maybe Murphy's pursuit of a new career in the media does not allow him to criticise, or fall out with, the Premier League big boys.

"Instead, in my opinion, he has selected easy targets that are based on his own perception and not facts."

As Allardyce had done a day earlier, Pulis referred to his club's recent disciplinary record and rejected any notion that tackling is worse now than it has been before.

"I'm very, very disappointed to have to sit here today and defend accusations against a club that I am very, very proud to manage,'' Pulis said.

"We currently lie seventh in the league and, if you add last season's disciplinary league to this season's, we are currently joint tenth, alongside Arsenal, which is quite a feat considering we spend a great deal more time without the ball than they do! This is not fabricated - this is fact.

"I firmly believe the game is cleaner today in terms of bad tackles than it has ever been, but I wish I could say the same in terms of other ills - such as simulation."

He added: "We must absolutely guard against rash tackles, whether committed by a most gifted player or just a mere mortal. However, we must also be realistic in that we will never completely eradicate injuries in a contact sport."

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy has also defended his club and players in light of Murphy's comments. Wolves midfielder Karl Henry was involved in a challenge that broke the leg of Murphy's team-mate Bobby Zamora earlier this season.

"I've only had one conversation with Danny Murphy and that was after the Fulham game when he said 'don't worry, I'll make sure Zamora knows it was a fair tackle' and I said 'great'," McCarthy said. "If Danny Murphy can decide on, or analyse my team talks or beliefs from that one 30 second conversation, then he is a better man than me.

"I find it incredible coming from someone who has never been in the dressing room with me, has never worked with me. Apart from that 30 seconds, we have never had a conversation. For him to pontificate like he has done, is completely wrong.

"It has not made me angry. It was a silly comment without a great deal of knowledge. It has created a huge furore and the media have had great mileage out of it.

"I spoke to Sam Allardyce, the LMA, Gordon Taylor, people's opinions I care for. It is sad we have to defend ourselves because the three of us have done alright in the game.

"We should not have to defend ourselves against a player who has got no knowledge of us. If I started making accusations about players, I might get a call from the PFA and deservedly so."

Blackpool manager Ian Holloway added: "He'll have to face the music because I think he's totally wrong. Does he know what it's like to be a manager?

"I've never heard any manager who I've played for tell me to go out and tackle someone and hurt them and break his leg. I think it's a total insult to Tony Pulis, Sam Allardyce and Mick McCarthy.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Big Niall » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:18 pm

the diving ponces is a much bigger problem.

When I played, we didn't even have shin pads.

Soft kunt.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redhayesy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:09 am

there's a massive difference between so called hard tackles an fecking reckless ones. when a player is out of their depth or in a league out of their own, their is only one outcome for me-that is the ones murphy relates to.

ffs i loved the likes of tommy smith,souness,hunter,chopper harris etc- the big difference with them is that they could also play very good football also!

the game has changed big time since then i hear some cry! - in some ways yes,some ways defo fecking no-way! cause if what goes on in todays game was about in them days,the players conerned who rol around like theyv'e been shot, would have been not only carded every game,but been an insult to the game itself!

players were carded for hard tackles,but refs also acknowledged as well as the oppo player,that it was done in the passion of the game an also WHAT THE FANS EXPECTED! ffs if i went to any game an saw a player not getting stuck in.i would an so would thousands around me question their commitment end of.

however as the game has changed,the game has got faster an all the other bu11sh1t that goes with that discussion- the debate for me has gone totally the other way in some ways- eg- the amount of times i find myself shouting at players to get stuck in,fecking fight for the ball etc.(i was bought up watching hard men in football) it beggars belief,i find myself so frustrated at the lack of fight,passion,an guts to win a 50-50 ball these days it's very concerning!

why?- cause in years gone by a 50-50 ball was their to be won by the player who had the heart,an passion to win the ball,win it firm but fair end of!  in this day an age,players with less heart,passion let alone skill just fecking dive in when or whenever because they lack the speed,skill true guts to win a ball for their club,or team mates! when the likes of tommy smith etc went in for a tackle-more precise every tackle! he did it for the love of his club,an team to hopefully create not just momentem but knowing he had 9 times out of 10 won the ball in the same way the oppo player would have the minset to do also.

in this day an age their for me isn't the players of this mindset-loads of examples for me,look at the tw@t in the world cup against spain on alonso,for me that wasn't about gaining anything for the team etc-he was just outclassed,an showed his ability likewise.

please don't get me wrong their are lots of tackles that are punished,which are very wrong an does slow the game down as a result,an some refs are fecking idiots for fooling for players who play for fouls!, however i have to say that as much as people give the argument that teams like wolves,stoke,blackburn etc play to their strengths an do what they need to,to survive etc, i do have to agree with danny murphy in that some of the so called tackles latley,aren't worthy of being called tackles!- thats not tackling,it's players out of their depth an trying to justify their exsistance of a premier football stage.

as for the argument that if the likes of tommy smith was playing in todays game -he would be sent off every other week- no i totally dis-agree,cause like most others players in todays game who so call challange for a ball- tommy smith was toally commited in winning the ball an not focused on the other player,also he was a very good footballer,with a very good football brain to go with it!

some players today lack intelligence beyound belief in the difference between a 50- 50 ball an a 80-20 ball against them! hence why some so called premiership clubs act more like a fecking glorified pub team!

btw- fwiw danny wasn't the most whole hearted,get stuck in,full blooded,win the ball at all costs for the team i ever witnessed,but wasn't bad either an at least he half a brain to know when the ball was gone ,so not to commit a ruthless,un-acceptable foul that would en-danger the oppo player for no reason,which is what some players do these days-an i bekieve danny when he says such like.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Return to Premiership - General Discussion