Mourinho vs domenech. - Over makelele

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:31 pm

Mourinho: Makelele 'a slave'

Jose Mourinho claims France are treating Chelsea midfielder Claude Makelele like 'a slave'.

Makelele has been called up for France's upcoming Euro 2008 qualifiers against Georgia and Italy, despite retiring from international football after the World Cup.

Les Bleus coach Raymond Domenech expects to be able to pick the midfielder for the games and has threatened Makelele with a club ban, if he does not turn up.

Mourinho is upset with the situation and is adamant the 33-year-old should have the right to retire from international football.

If Makelele fails to make himself available for selection, he could be banned for four Chelsea matches - a scenario which has enraged his club boss.

"The situation is, in my opinion, unbelievable," Mourinho told Sky Sports 1.

"I think Makelele is not a football player, Makelele is a slave.

"He played in the biggest game a player can play in his international career - he played in the World Cup final.

"He wants to retire and the national team coach has told us very objectively, very objectively, if he's not playing for France, he's not playing for Chelsea, he's suspended for Chelsea.

"We know the rules, we don't need him to tell us the rules.

"But the player wrote a letter to their federation and told the manager he doesn't want to play for France.

"He (Domenech) has been very objective and said you have to play Georgia and Italy. If you are not playing in those two matches, you will be suspended for four matches for Chelsea.

"You are a slave, you have no human rights, you cannot choose. You don't have the right to choose? No liberty, no freedom, no democracy, no human rights.

"Two matches you don't play for France, then you don't play for four for Chelsea, he has to go.

"The rules are there, the law is there. He doesn't want to go, but he has to go."

Meanwhile, Chelsea have issued a statement to reveal their intention to try and resolve the matter amicably with the French Football Federation.

"Chelsea Football Club will be making further representations to the French Football Federation, after discussions with Claude Makelele, regarding his desire to retire from international football," read the statement on the club's official website.

"Chelsea FC believes that a player should have the freedom to choose about his own international career, especially in the case of Claude who has served his country at the highest level and with distinction for several years.

"This view was expressed to the French national coach Raymond Domenech in a meeting last week at our training ground.

"We understand the letter of the law is very clear on this subject, and the ramifications for Claude and Chelsea if he is called up but does not play.

"We would like to stress that this is not a club versus country issue, we are not seeking conflict with the FFF. This issue is about supporting the wishes of one of our players whose past commitment to his country cannot be called into question."

-------------------------
Claude moves to calm spat

Claude Makelele has moved to calm the war of words that is currently simmering between Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho and his France counterpart Raymond Domenech.

Mourinho is enraged at the fact Makelele has been called up for France's upcoming Euro 2008 qualifiers against Georgia and Italy, despite retiring from international football after the World Cup.

The 33-year-old, who remains instrumental for both club and country, had decided to hang up his illustrious international boots following France's World Cup final defeat to Italy.

However, Les Bleus coach Domenech has warned Chelsea that should Makelele fail to make himself available then he could be banned for four domestic matches.

Mourinho has since claimed France are treating his player like a 'slave' after launching a vitriolic attack in the direction of Domenech.

In a bid to quell any further discord Makelele has suggested Mourinho's words were perhaps, on reflection, a little too strong.

"The words of my coach are a little strong," he told TV channel TPS star. "He probably went too far.

"He expresses himself in a different way when he talks. But his disappointment is logical.

"There was an agreement after the World Cup for me to quit the national team. But I talked with the national coach.

"He believes I am still able to bring something. I have absolutely nothing against him. I am back with the national team.

"Of course it is a difficult situation, because I will play more matches and so will be more tired. But I am on the list. I am forced to go."

While Makelele has conceded it will be a drain on his energy to play both domestically and internationally, he insists it remains very much an honour to represent his country.

"The French team remains something huge to me," he added. "Everyone knows me. Above all I am a professional. I do my job.

"Even if my club doesn’t agree, I will humbly honour that call. It is normal to wear my country’s shirt."

Mourinho seems to be causing trouble again, surprise, surprise. Can anyone explain to me how Makelele will be banned for four league matches if he doesn't play for France? I'd love to see it happen as it's Chelsea, but this rule seems new to me.

What are your thoughts on this issue?
48-1119859832

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:17 pm

Actually it seems mad to say this but, i'm with maureen on this one.

If you retire from international football , then you should expect not to be picked for your country. I don't understand where Domench is coming from.

Maybe i'm reading the post wrong ,but it seems simple really.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:29 pm

Oasis wrote:"The words of my coach are a little strong," he told TV channel TPS star. "He probably went too far.

"He expresses himself in a different way when he talks. But his disappointment is logical.

"There was an agreement after the World Cup for me to quit the national team. But I talked with the national coach.

"He believes I am still able to bring something. I have absolutely nothing against him. I am back with the national team.

"Of course it is a difficult situation, because I will play more matches and so will be more tired. But I am on the list. I am forced to go."

This is the point I don't get...quality players retire from international football all the time without disappointed coaches resorting to FIFA guidelines to compell them to play on.  Sven didn't play the heavy when Scholes retired, for instance.  What's different in this case?  There must be more to this story that we're not hearing.

If it is as this quotes make it seem, though, and if the Chelsea ban is carried out, this whole thing sets a very dangerous precedent of national team coaches dragging players out of international retirement on a whim. 

Now, I don't for one minute think that a ban will actually occur in this case, mind you--mostly because CM seems resigned to going--but this whole club vs. country mess needs sorting.  It's not the same situation, but the Norwegian FA's insistence on selecting Riise and compelling him to travel while injured is another case in point.  There needs to be a way for clubs to bar a player's international selection for legitimate health reasons or because they've officially retired from international football.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:51 pm

You are a slave, you have no human rights, you cannot choose

IMO you can disagree how the national squad gets the player you pay and may even result in an injury of your player, and all that stuff. Rafa himself has disagreed about that.

But I don't think it's proper to talk about slaves, and not having human rights when we're talking about millionaires, that issue is too serious when there are human rights broken along the world every day, and there are still slaves in some parts of the world.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:55 pm

Mourinho has a point, but he is exaggerating as usual. I think once a player calls it a day from International duty, that's it, he shouldn't be able to come out of International retirement. A players career should be in the hands of a player, not a club manager or an International manager.

BTW, is their such rules that state if a player doesn't show for an International match, he gets suspended from club matches?
48-1119859832

Postby Big Niall » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:01 pm

I am 100% with Mourihno on this. How can you make somebody work for somebody that he doesn't want to?

Either Makelele should bring the FRench to court or he should just turn up and stand in the centre of the pitch and do nothing.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion