Manuel Peligrini

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:07 am

was finally confirmed as mancinis replacement today on a 3 year contract.

Manchester City’s new manager Manuel Pellegrini said he was “sure” the club would win the Premier League or Champions League next season after the club finally  announced his appointment, on a salary of £3.4m a year.

The Chilean immediately declared he would start “a new cycle and style of club… another way of playing”, promising that his City side would play an attacking brand of football. He also insisted  that one or two players per season would now start being promoted from the academy to the first team, because the process of going back into the transfer market for heavy investment each summer was unsustainable.

“I work very hard. I am very persistent of what I want to reach. At my other clubs I always got the best out of the players who worked with me and together my way of working, with wonderful players,” said Pellegrini who, at 59, will become the second oldest manager in the Premier League, behind Arsenal’s Arsène Wenger.

City’s chief executive, Ferran Soriano, believes that an older manager is important to help create the harmony that was lacking under Roberto Mancini. City had been unable to confirm Pellegrini’s appointment because of delays in settling his outstanding salary issues by his previous club, Malaga.

But the Spanish side appointed German coach Bernd Schuster on a five-year deal at La Rosaleda yesterday, enabling City to confirm Pellegrini’s appointment. The Chilean, who has signed a three-year contract, is holidaying on home soil, so no presentation of the new manager is imminent. Despite winning only the Intertoto Cup during his time as a coach in Europe, Pellegrini said his inexperience in the Premier League would not be an issue.

“I’m sure 100 per cent that I won’t have any problem being in the Premier League,” he said. “I worked in four or five countries in my career, Chile, Argentina, Ecuador and Spain for about nine years and now England. I know a lot about the Premier League. I have played against Manchester United twice, Arsenal, I have always seen their matches every weekend that they play in the Premier League, so I have no problem in that sense. I will adapt without problems.

“We are not going to be a team who will score a goal and then goes back waiting for a counter attack. We will always try to play at the opposite end of the pitch, and play attractive football.” Pellegrini will bring with him three members of backroom staff. His trusted right-hand man Ruben Cousillas, an Argentine, will be his assistant with Xabier Mancisidor as goalkeeping coach and Jose Cabello fitness coach. Assistant manager Brian Kidd will also remain as part of the set-up.

“Everyone knows if you arrive at a club like Manchester City, you must win titles,” Pellegrini said.

“They have invested a lot of money for improving the squad every year and to try to win titles every year.

“Last season they were not successful in winning a title but I’m sure next year we’re going to win maybe the Premier League, the Champions League. But we’re going to try to win it all.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 59572.html

i know he had a bit of success in south america but he has only an intertoto cup to his name in europe. i also agree he has done well with villareal and real madrid but they are some pretty big claims  :nod he didnt have a good run in the cl with madrid and exceeded expectations at malaga but he will find it tough with city if they are competing on all fronts domestically and among the giants in the latter stages of the competition.
imo they will be in a 3 horse race alongside manure and the chavs with maureen probably the favourite. arsenal wont spend to contend for the league and spurs will only have one team next season when the welsh one leaves.
personally i was hoping with the managerial changes in all 3 clubs we would take advantage of that and take the lot by surprise :D
the prem and the cl are 2 tough trophys to win but i doubt either will end up at city next year in his first season. lot of pressure there and probably more now that he said he will.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby eds » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:03 am

red till i die!! » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:07 am wrote:was finally confirmed as mancinis replacement today on a 3 year contract.

Manchester City’s new manager Manuel Pellegrini said he was “sure” the club would win the Premier League or Champions League next season after the club finally  announced his appointment, on a salary of £3.4m a year.

The Chilean immediately declared he would start “a new cycle and style of club… another way of playing”, promising that his City side would play an attacking brand of football. He also insisted  that one or two players per season would now start being promoted from the academy to the first team, because the process of going back into the transfer market for heavy investment each summer was unsustainable.

“I work very hard. I am very persistent of what I want to reach. At my other clubs I always got the best out of the players who worked with me and together my way of working, with wonderful players,” said Pellegrini who, at 59, will become the second oldest manager in the Premier League, behind Arsenal’s Arsène Wenger.

City’s chief executive, Ferran Soriano, believes that an older manager is important to help create the harmony that was lacking under Roberto Mancini. City had been unable to confirm Pellegrini’s appointment because of delays in settling his outstanding salary issues by his previous club, Malaga.

But the Spanish side appointed German coach Bernd Schuster on a five-year deal at La Rosaleda yesterday, enabling City to confirm Pellegrini’s appointment. The Chilean, who has signed a three-year contract, is holidaying on home soil, so no presentation of the new manager is imminent. Despite winning only the Intertoto Cup during his time as a coach in Europe, Pellegrini said his inexperience in the Premier League would not be an issue.

“I’m sure 100 per cent that I won’t have any problem being in the Premier League,” he said. “I worked in four or five countries in my career, Chile, Argentina, Ecuador and Spain for about nine years and now England. I know a lot about the Premier League. I have played against Manchester United twice, Arsenal, I have always seen their matches every weekend that they play in the Premier League, so I have no problem in that sense. I will adapt without problems.

“We are not going to be a team who will score a goal and then goes back waiting for a counter attack. We will always try to play at the opposite end of the pitch, and play attractive football.” Pellegrini will bring with him three members of backroom staff. His trusted right-hand man Ruben Cousillas, an Argentine, will be his assistant with Xabier Mancisidor as goalkeeping coach and Jose Cabello fitness coach. Assistant manager Brian Kidd will also remain as part of the set-up.

“Everyone knows if you arrive at a club like Manchester City, you must win titles,” Pellegrini said.

“They have invested a lot of money for improving the squad every year and to try to win titles every year.

“Last season they were not successful in winning a title but I’m sure next year we’re going to win maybe the Premier League, the Champions League. But we’re going to try to win it all.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 59572.html

i know he had a bit of success in south america but he has only an intertoto cup to his name in europe. i also agree he has done well with villareal and real madrid but they are some pretty big claims  :nod he didnt have a good run in the cl with madrid and exceeded expectations at malaga but he will find it tough with city if they are competing on all fronts domestically and among the giants in the latter stages of the competition.
imo they will be in a 3 horse race alongside manure and the chavs with maureen probably the favourite. arsenal wont spend to contend for the league and spurs will only have one team next season when the welsh one leaves.
personally i was hoping with the managerial changes in all 3 clubs we would take advantage of that and take the lot by surprise :D
the prem and the cl are 2 tough trophys to win but i doubt either will end up at city next year in his first season. lot of pressure there and probably more now that he said he will.

I think Pellegrini (you misspelt his name) is a great coach and can really transform City into a solid side. I had hoped a few seasons ago we went in for him instead of Rodgers but we didn't.

If City give him time, he will bring in the right players and develop a very difficult game play to beat. He could easily create the next dynasty in English football.

But thankfully for us they won't give him time.  :D
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:10 am

Pellegrini is who we should have got when they sacked Rafa - instead the club, some players and some fans wanted us to move away from "foriegn" managers and towards "English" ones !!
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:41 am

The grass is always greener...
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC1990 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:00 am

He finished 11th 4th and 6th. With the amount of money the owners splashed

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:22 am

He will go head to head with Moyes to be next season's great flop. Man City in 7th place, 2 places behind LFC.  :buttrock
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:45 am

Reg » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:22 am wrote:He will go head to head with Moyes to be next season's great flop. Man City in 7th place, 2 places behind LFC.  :buttrock

Exactly!

Here's a controversial one. Rodgers will out perform Pelli gringo this coming season
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:46 am

SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:45 am wrote:
Reg » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:22 am wrote:He will go head to head with Moyes to be next season's great flop. Man City in 7th place, 2 places behind LFC.  :buttrock

Exactly!

Here's a controversial one. Rodgers will out perform Pelli gringo this coming season

I bet you he won't. That's to both you and Reg.

City will either win the title or be a very close second
Benny The Noon

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:57 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:45 am wrote:

Exactly!

Your crazy, theres no way we will finish above Man City
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:52 pm

I believe their ridiculous knee jerk sacking of Mancini will come back to haunt them ,Pellegrini has won one solitary Inter toto cup throughout
his career ,whereas Mancini has won titles wherever he has been . I also recollect  Villarreal  being overly defensive under Pellegrini.

Cities impatient owners will just throw money at him and their expectations will be immense ,its definitely not an atmosphere a thinker
like Pellegrini could possibly flourish in...... Gone before the seasons out.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:26 pm

You seem to be mixing up the City owner with Abramovich.

Pellegrini will be given time - he will be signing players like Isco and possibly Cavani - it will be his most talented squad to date. If he can get Villereal so high then Malaga into CL he will so well at City.
Benny The Noon

Postby eds » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:40 am

The fact that this thread started with his surname being mis-spelt and the sweeping statements being made just shows how far you lads know anything about the game outside of Ingerlund.

Pellegrini while at Read Faildrid amassed a total of 96 points only losing the title by 3 points to an all conquering Barcelona in 2009-2010, who were at their peak. This was a record at the time and would have won it any other season beforehand, but Faildrid wanted the "Special None" so badly, they used the excuse of not winning the league to send him packing. Can you imagine the uproar if we had gotten rid of Benitez in 2008-2009 when he did the exact same thing with us amassing so many points but falling all so short with the filth winning it? 

Since then Pellegrini has taken yet another relegation fodder / mid-table side to the Champions league, not being outdone with taking his Villareal side to the semies almost a decade back he has taken a financially stricken club a semi-final. Outside of what Klopp has done with Dortmund this is truly amazing! Remind me what Brendan Rodgers has done again  :no  :no  :no

Yeah keep reminding us how he hasn't won anything, that's such an accurate way of determining how good a manager is these days  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:59 am

Spot on Eds
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:04 am

the grass is always greener...
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:32 am