Keegan returns to newcastle - I bet fergies loving it!

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Boocity » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:11 pm

Bermenstein wrote:I reckon Kenny Dalglish would have the same Euphoric effect among Lpool supporters if he was ever given the chance in the future.

An older & Wiser Kenny?...... legend.......

But sincerely, I hope Rafa is given enough time and support to see his vision through.

I thought about that last night but Keegan has only been away from the prem since 2005. Kenny has been away a hell of a lot longer but would his appearance push us on a euphoric rise in the second half of the season???
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:21 pm

Joke appointment.

Smacks of Howard Kendall going back to Everton. Remind me, how did that work out? :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JamCar05 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:36 pm

stmichael wrote:Joke appointment.

Smacks of Howard Kendall going back to Everton. Remind me, how did that work out? :D

Well I for one think that worked out quite fine  :D
JamCar05

Postby red37 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:30 pm

Best of luck KK.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:16 pm

gotta love the double k, absolute legend for us, surpassed possibly only by king kenny (another double k?) in his position (kind of, i know, he played more up front, but you know what i mean...im watching lfctv a lot, trying to learn more, so give me a break)

really hope he does well for newcastle, maybe even gets them the carling cup in a few years
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Tue May 06, 2008 2:30 am

'Give me the cash to compete,' says Keegan

By Michael Walker at St James' Park
Tuesday, 6 May 2008

So the last day matters. Wigan Athletic, in particular, and Bolton Wanderers have more than non-speaking roles on Sunday and the level of excitement will be immense. Just don't tell Kevin Keegan. Heart on sleeve as always, Keegan emerged after seeing his Newcastle United team beaten to leave them trailing Manchester United and Chelsea by 41 points and said: "We are in danger of having the most boring great league in the world."

Saying Newcastle were "a million miles away" from the top four, Keegan painted a dispiriting picture. "In my time [he has a three-and-a-half-year contract] Newcastle will not be in the Champions League. I do not want to mislead the fans. You'd be mad in my position to say we'll get in the top four next season. The gulf is too big."

In another era Keegan's words would have been seen as the prelude to a walkout, but he was merely being realistic about the task he took on when succeeding Sam Allardyce in January. His broader view will be welcomed up and down the country – outside Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, Anfield and the Emirates Stadium.

Nevertheless Newcastle's owner, Mike Ashley, will be intrigued by Keegan's tone. It is only 10 days since Keegan was saying Newcastle fans should start "dreaming again" and it is only five years since Sir Bobby Robson and Alan Shearer led Newcastle to San Siro with a chance of reaching the last eight of the Champions League.

Things have unravelled since then, of course.

"The top four have broken away," Keegan said. "I can say we will be trying to get fifth and win the other league that is going on in the Premiership. We should make a fist of it next season, provided the owner backs me – which there is no proof of yet, but I have no reason to doubt. We might win the second division of the Premiership.

"I don't see what we can do about it. It is the truth. I felt this way before I came back into this game. They bring on Shevchenko – £28m – off the bench, Frank Lampard. Shaun Wright-Phillips did not even get changed, or Ashley Cole. Joe Cole just warmed up. I could go on.

"The only games the top four lose are to each other. Not many sides outside the top four are beating them. They are losing three games. When we won the championship with Liverpool we lost up to eight.

"If someone gives you a barrel-load of money you will still not get all the best players. If it is a choice between Chelsea and Newcastle they will go to Chelsea because great players want to go where the honours are."

Keegan was smiling. But the second half yesterday emphasised the difference in class and two players he has tried to sign, Jonathan Woodgate and Luka Modric, joined Tottenham.

"Over the summer we will be looking to strengthen the squad further," wrote the chairman, Chris Mort, in the programme. "That is why we put a substantial offer in for Luka Modric. It is frustrating that Modric, like Woodgate before him, should take less money than we offered to move to the bright lights of London and European football with Tottenham next season. But these are the sorts of difficulties that should get easier to address once we build a squad that competes at the right end of the table."

Link

He's right, and he puts it starkly enough.

The Premier League is the toughest league in the world to win, especially so if you haven't significant funds to go and compete for the best players available.

Getting fifth is the height of expectations for any team outside of the top-four, as I can't see the top-four being ousted for a while.

There are, I'd say, four distinctive levels within the Premier League and that's why it's a broadly predictable league - more so than any other major league in Europe.

Level 1:
Manc's
Chelsea

Arsenal
Level 2:
Liverpool

Level 3:
Teams such as (by no means exclusively):
Spurs
Newcastle
Everton
Blackburn
Newcastle
Portsmouth
Man City

Level 4:
The rest

That's about how it's been for a while, any of the teams in level 3 can get fifth place with quality invstment in their squads and good management. The greatest degree of variation exists in this level, as most teams within this level (8 or 9) who have the correct level of investment and good management, can challenge for the UEFA cup spots. Breaching the second level is extremely tough, and it's getting tougher - as there are so many teams investing heavily. Level four is made up of the floaters and relegation candidates.

The spaces between levels one and two, as well as Arsenal's position, reflect what I see as about the difference between the top four teams - not just a reflection of this year's form, but a reflection of the past few years, and the level of each club's respective squads. We need to breach the top level, and we can only do that by signing more quality akin to that level. It's very difficult to upset the predictability of the league, but that's what we have to do if we're to win the league - we have to change the expected.
LFC2007

Previous

Return to Premiership - General Discussion