Keane to leave united

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:34 pm

Roy Keane has put Celtic on alert by claiming he expects to leave Manchester United next May, saying: "I'm prepared to play elsewhere."

The Irishman's contract is due to expire in the summer and it was widely assumed he would be given at least an extra year, possibly to combine playing duties with a coaching role.

However, in a live MUTV phone-in, Keane has rejected any likelihood of moving straight on to Sir Alex Ferguson's backroom staff and feels it will be the end of the season before United chief executive David Gill decides whether the 34-year-old will be handed an extension, by which time it will be too late.

"I would like to play another year or two but I do not think it will be at Manchester United," he said.

"I would be surprised if I was offered a new contract and even if I was, I would not expect it to be until the end of the season but by then I will have already made a decision about what I am going to do.

"There comes a time for everybody when they have to move on and I am prepared to play elsewhere.

"I think it will be good to experience a different dressing room. It wouldn't be an English team though, coming back to Old Trafford and going into the away dressing room would be too hard for me to stomach."

The last statement is bound to alert Celtic, as Keane has made no secret of his desire to play for the Bhoys at some stage in his career.

Although he is currently sidelined with a broken foot, the prospect of United without Keane is virtually unthinkable.

The fiery midfielder has been the inspiration behind Sir Alex Ferguson's side since he first arrived as a raw youngster from Nottingham Forest in 1993, making 480 senior appearances and playing a major role in almost all United's successes.

Even though he missed the 1999 Champions League final, the £3.75m Ferguson splashed out to secure his services will probably go down as some of the best money ever spent by United.

However, it appears the United boss is losing his battle to keep Keane at the club.

When the Cork-born player first mooted his intention to quit this summer in the middle of last season, he immediately received a telephone call from Ferguson informing him the Scot would be the man who decides when the midfielder will sever his ties with Old Trafford.

Ferguson's position is not likely to have changed. Indeed, he will probably be reeling at this fresh announcement.

But the harsh reality is if Keane is offered a new deal, it would almost certainly be for one year only and then on a pay-per-play basis, whereas Celtic would almost certainly offer a better overall deal.

"I am not putting a gun to anybody's head," said Keane. "But my gut reaction last season was this would be my last year and I still feel that way.

"You have to learn and be prepared to move on. Life will not stop when I leave Manchester United.

"It might be an opportunity to go into management or coaching somewhere else and it is best to make a clean break because coaching at Manchester United doesn't really appeal."

Keane has made no secret of his desire to follow former Red Devils skippers Steve Bruce and Bryan Robson into management and intends to complete his Uefa coaching badges over the next few months.

But, interested lower league clubs who feel they may be able to attract the most influential domestic player of his generation, might be advised to look elsewhere.

"I don't want to look too far ahead because I want to play on for a bit yet but I wouldn't want to drop too far down," he said.

"Your first job in management is an important one. I would like to go to a club with ambition, a decent fan base and some decent players."

:buttrock
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:44 pm

Freakish.....I posted the same thread at exactly the same time you did.

Great minds, eh Paul.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Paul C » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:07 pm

lol, yeah said it John :cool:

It's such a loss for the scum cos although he's 34 he's still influential for them, Smith clearly isn't the replacement and they'll have to break the bank to replace him :)

It's the start of the slippy slope for them :laugh:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:57 pm

Keane should hang up his boots at the end of the season imo.  He's easily the best holding midfield player of his generation, but he's nowhere near the force he once was. 

Injuries have caught up and I'm not even sure he'd have that big an impact in the Celtic side by this time next year.  He'd be 35 then and well on the slide.

The fact that the guy has been told he'll need a hip replacement before he's 40 shows what state his body's in.  If Ireland get to the world cup he should finish his career on a high with them.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:47 pm

I think that if Ireland qualify for the world cup (which currently hangs in the balance) Keane might decide to go out at the top.

However, I'm beginning to think now that Keane's statement last night was a shot across the bows of UTD's board. His contract is up at the end of this seaosn and so far he hasn't been offered a new one, so all of this might be a ruse by him to get one last contract.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JC_81 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:35 pm

I think United offering Keane a new deal depends on what happens with the Ballack situation.  It's no secret United want him on a free next summer.  If they get him then I don't think Keane will be offered a new deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if all this recent talk by Keane was to make the United board make a dercision on him now, he's obviously aware they're chasing Ballack and probably wants some assurances that he's still in their plans.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby *****GERRARD***** » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:00 pm

looks like he wants a step up in his career
When you walk through the storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark
At the end of the storm
There's a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of the lark
*****GERRARD*****

Postby laza » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:16 am

Certainly strange timing for annoucement, i wonder if the highly reported summer bust up is related as well.
Oh a sidenote i do not want to see Ballack in a MANC shirt
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby celtic bhoy » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:22 pm

He has made no secret in the past of his desire to play for Celtic one day, we will have to wait and see.Celtic have already a fair few players over 30 Sutton Lennon etc and Lennons younger than Keane -its hard to see it happening with our board tbh. Maybe its Keanes way of pressuring them into a new contract ala Bergkamp.
Can i also say, while Alan Smith is no Keane, I get the feeling that nobody thinks he can play in the midfield. I've seen him play there a few times and I don't think he has done a bad job at all, he gets in trouble when his 'old' insticts take him too far upfield. He's still learning to play that posititon, and before I would go out and spend a bunch of $$$$ I would be sure that he can't play in Keanes spot, again not that he will be Keane, that's unfair. I think special players come every so often, Keane is one and you just don't dial a number, write a check and there is his replacement.
Tiocfaidh ar LA!!!
celtic bhoy

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:54 pm

Fu.ck Roy Keane Utd scum!
with a bit of luck his plane will crash on the way to glasgow!!
66-1120597113

Postby ruudthered » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:57 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:Fu.ck Roy Keane Utd scum!
with a bit of luck his plane will crash on the way to glasgow!!

:censored:
ruudthered

Postby Big Niall » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:37 pm

Keane is a self serving d1ckhead. He should look at himself a bit closer before passing judgement in public on other "teammates" he's slow as fukk and can't last the pace of a high tempo game.

He's an embaressment to his country.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:16 pm

don't worry. he's already got his future career sorted out.

http://www.radioireland.ie/audio/giftroyfrance.wma

:D  :laugh:  :D
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Return to Premiership - General Discussion