Holloway - Bonus clause

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:50 pm

BBC Sport 27/1st/2011

Apologies if this has already been posted ,but it would be interesting to know how posters feel about this

Blackpool insist a clause in boss Ian Holloway's contract stating he is due a percentage of any transfer fee from the sale of Charlie Adam is insignificant.
Tangerines chairman Karl Oyston agreed the clause, which does not contravene any regulations, with Holloway when he took over as manager in May 2009.
Oyston said: "This is insubstantial and insignificant. There is no situation."
Holloway has denied the clause means he is holding out for a higher price for midfielder Adam to boost his bonus.
Blackpool's influential skipper has attracted bids from Liverpool, Aston Villa and Birmingham during the January transfer window, with Holloway particularly critical of the £4m bid from the Reds for his 25-year-old Scotland international.
The 47-year-old is keen to keep Adam, who has handed in a transfer request, at Bloomfield Road.

surely anybody with one eye, one arm, one leg and half a brain can see Charlie Adam is a fantastic footballer who is worth more than £4m.
Blackpool boss Ian Holloway
However, he stressed that any transfer cut he would be due, would be tiny in comparison to the bonus he would receive for keeping Blackpool in the Premier League.
"My chairman looked at my record of producing players and selling them on and he wanted that at Blackpool.
"And I was sick and fed up of getting nothing... so he agreed a certain figure. But I'm on a far bigger bonus to keep us in the Premier League.
"And surely anybody with one eye, one arm, one leg and half a brain can see Charlie Adam is a fantastic footballer who is worth more than £4m.
"If you're saying I'm doing this because I'm getting 20-30% of the Adam money I'll not be very happy - it's miles away, absolute nonsense.
"I bought a frustrated kid from Rangers, we bought him very wisely, and in 18 months we've gone from 16th in the Championship to 12th in the Premier League with his help."
Adam, who joined then Championship side Blackpool in August 2009 from Scottish Premier League side Rangers for £500,000 will have 12 months remaining on his contract in the summer.

discuss
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:35 pm

To be fair, it's nothing new. Pretty standard in the world of management contracts, especially at lower level clubs where transfer activity is a means of generating money.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:43 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:To be fair, it's nothing new. Pretty standard in the world of management contracts, especially at lower level clubs where transfer activity is a means of generating money.

Ditto
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:49 pm

Well... Blackpool have been fined 25,000 quid for fielding a weakened team against Aston Villa.....

this is going to be interesting :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:53 pm

Oliver Kay Twitter -

"Blackpool have been fined £25k by Prem Lge for fielding weakened team v Villa. Holloway said he'd resign if this happened. He won't"
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:55 pm

Holloway has become a bit of a t!t lately, trying to be funny but just coming across as a bit of a bratt whos above his station. Will he leave? Will he f...
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:55 pm

Haha, Phil McNulty Twitter -

"If Wolves were fined Blackpool had to be punished as well. Of course if Holloway did offer to resign chairman Karl Oyston can reject it!"
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:21 pm

On Granada Reports now about Blackpool and Holloway's bonus
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:28 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:To be fair, it's nothing new. Pretty standard in the world of management contracts, especially at lower level clubs where transfer activity is a means of generating money.

Its news to me mate ....
A manager including a clause in a players contract in order to receive a fee when the player is sold on ....especially if said player is the subject of numerous rejected bids by said beneficiary ....if its nothing new then why the headlines ....
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:09 pm

I dont see why Halloway should get any percentage of fees. His job as a manager and his pay is separate from the club as a business. Personally I think its bang out of order. His personal motive becomes an issue in any business they do now
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Greavesie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:13 pm

dawson99 wrote:Holloway has become a bit of a t!t lately, trying to be funny but just coming across as a bit of a bratt whos above his station. Will he leave? Will he f...

I also agree with this. Some of his comments have been funny but theres a few things that have p!ssed me off

Firstly, he seems to believe that Charlie Adam is on par with Xabi Alonso, whats he been smoking?

then he comes out and says Liverpool have to put up or shut up. Who from our club has said anything? he's the one mouthing off about it! @rsehole
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:26 pm

Greavesie wrote:I dont see why Halloway should get any percentage of fees. His job as a manager and his pay is separate from the club as a business. Personally I think its bang out of order. His personal motive becomes an issue in any business they do now

Exactly mate precisely my point ...
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:43 pm

Charlie Adam is a 4-6 mill player. Hes scored 5 goals... but hes the penalty taker FFS
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:44 pm

Greavesie wrote:His personal motive becomes an issue in any business they do now

aren't we all :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:42 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:

Its news to me mate ....
A manager including a clause in a players contract in order to receive a fee when the player is sold on ....especially if said player is the subject of numerous rejected bids by said beneficiary ....if its nothing new then why the headlines ....

Because it's not normally done with premiership clubs. Big clubs would be liable for a fortune otherwise.

Blackpool work on an extremely tight and small budget, if an incentive is offered to a manager to get the maximum value form a sale it works in their favour.

Bigger clubs just employ a director of football (at a cost) to ensure the best transfer deals.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion