Arsenals kids - Laughing cockneys

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:52 pm

lately ive developed a sense of dread everytime L iverpool take to the field especially at Anfield, where you can literally smell the fear,and in contrast i cast an envious eye over to Highbury and the quality of player Wenger has astutely collated to his squad ,not only his 1st team but the young prodigies ie Bentley,Clichy,Alidiere,Toure Sendeross ,only the latter Sendeross was ever associated with Liverpool ,but what is particulary diconcerting is having to watch Arsenals impending rise while witnessing my beloved Liverpools demise .Liverpool currently possess a squad of players who are uncomfortable with the ball at their feet,this has never been the Liverpool way .Liverpool are becoming the butt of cockneys jokes and their presently laughing all the way to the champions league and if i have to witness Gary Lineker smirking everytime he mentions Liverpool ill gag when does it end when the likes of Birmingham catch up with us ,the time for drastic change is now ,before middle of the road becomes Liverpools catch phrase    :(
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:09 am

well said
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:18 am

French manager tactician supreme or French detective ie Clouseau, :(
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:37 am

"The Bungling Academic"
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:43 am

The fact of the matter is ALOT of the players are intimidated playing in this team at home due to the fans reaction if they take a bad touch or make a bad pass. The only player who doesn't let this effect him is Stevey Gerrard... the rest look like they are playing with a noose round there necks and to be honest, if i had 40,000 people who were suposed to be on my side waiting for the first oppurtunity to have a go i'd feel pretty uncomfortable aswell. I can understand people saying its a two way thing... but its not as if we can say the fans help... because this season quite frankly we havent. The away record is good, its equal to the home record... which shows there is some foundation to what i'm saying. You should be better at home wherever you play, we aren't.

You say we have players that aren't comfortable on the ball... That simply isn't true.

Kewell, Gerrard, Owen, Murphy, Baros, Hamann, Hyypia, Finnan, Diouf, Henchoz... all first teamers that are more than comfortable with the ball at there feet.

Admittedly some more than others but to suggest the players aren't comfortable is a bit harsh.
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:40 am

I don't think its simply a matter of blaming the home fans Stu.

You seem to forget that even in Houllier's heydays of 2001 and 2002 our home form cost us positions in the league, and we could have won the league in 2002 if we were better able to break certain teams down at Anfield. Our way form has always been good under Houllier, whereas our home form has always been less than perfect.

Blaming the fans is not the answer as GH and the team got tremendous support in 2001 and 2002 from the Anfield crowd but that didn't stop us dropping vital points at home.

The problem is that Houllier's approach to matches is too one dimensional and away teams quickly learned to deal with us at Anfield.

Also, as good as Houllier's teams were in 2001 and 2002 we were never the best team on the ball. We had plenty of strengths, such as discipline, determination, pace on the counter attack, and a tight defence, but we were never the most stylish of teams, and that had nothing to do with the fans.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Scottbot » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:47 am

You are always blaming the fans Stu - Houlliers away record has always been good because of the way we play, Defensive, counter-attacking football - get the early goal, shut up shop and hit them on the break whenever we can. That is Houlliers way. At home it doesn't work, the opposition stick 10 behind the ball and use our own tactics against us.  The fans are not the route cause of our troubles. I don't think i have ever heard you criticise the manager on this forum - You always point the finger at the fans. That is crazy to me.

Ps. Didi you say Henchoz looks confortable with the ball at his feet?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:52 am

I think Stu's ideas of "looking comfortable with the ball at your feet" is a lot different from the rest of us!

Watch Arsenal, Man UTD, Chelsea or any of the top sides in Europe play and see how comfortable they are at passing and controlling.

With Liverpool it is laboured, rushed and we keep giving possession away cheaply.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:18 pm

In reply to Stu the Reds supposedly informative opinion on the art of keeping possession Gerrard granted ,Kewell when he decides he's actually involved in a game and not just a passenger,Murphy wouldnt look comfortable on the ball if his job was ballboy,Hamann a great holding midfielder that one ill give,but your point about the crowd getting on the players back unjust ,the fans pay to watch something resembling football and 3 players giving their all does'nt make for a team performance ,Gerrards enthusiasm should be infectious and spur the other passengers into inspiring the fans with a move of invention ie a surge on goal maybe,and the unease felt with in the crowd would be quelled
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:22 pm

just makes you wish that mcallister was still here. he NEVER gave the ball away. most of our players look comfortable in possession but most of them play the ball sideways too much.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:42 pm

It comes to something when the only way i could show my little lad that Liverpool used to be a team of winners was show him my old Liverpool videos ive took him to all the uefa cup games this season as their the only ones that have a decent atmosphere ,I remember my first game as an impressionable kid Liverpool 7 Spurs 0 and that decided where my vocation lie , my kids was Portsmouth and thats why he supports Real Madrid
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:44 pm

that 7-0 match was the best performance of total football i've ever seen.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redbeergoggles » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:55 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:It comes to something when the only way i could show my little lad that Liverpool used to be a team of winners was show him my old Liverpool videos ive took him to all the uefa cup games this season as their the only ones that have a decent atmosphere ,I remember my first game as an impressionable kid Liverpool 7 Spurs 0 and that decided where my vocation lie , my kids was Portsmouth and thats why he supports Real Madrid

To all you avid fans that suspect me of being a newbie take a look at the date on this thread
This is why I revere and respect Rafa ,he gave Liverpool back their pride and my lad witnessed us lift the European cup in 2005
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:06 pm

Fair enough, you're not a newbie and you revere and respect Rafa.  So do many on here (including myself).  There are, however, a growing number of people who have started to raise legitimate and carefully-considered questions about the man's leadership and about how much time he should be given to mount a title challenge.  As this is one of the most fundamental questions concerning the club at the moment I've no illusions that it will generate some passionate debate--debate I have no wish to squelch.  All I'm asking is that we keep the discussion civil and respectful. :blues:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby redbeergoggles » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:20 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:lately ive developed a sense of dread everytime L iverpool take to the field especially at Anfield, where you can literally smell the fear,and in contrast i cast an envious eye over to Highbury and the quality of player Wenger has astutely collated to his squad ,not only his 1st team but the young prodigies ie Bentley,Clichy,Alidiere,Toure Sendeross ,only the latter Sendeross was ever associated with Liverpool ,but what is particulary diconcerting is having to watch Arsenals impending rise while witnessing my beloved Liverpools demise .Liverpool currently possess a squad of players who are uncomfortable with the ball at their feet,this has never been the Liverpool way .Liverpool are becoming the butt of cockneys jokes and their presently laughing all the way to the champions league and if i have to witness Gary Lineker smirking everytime he mentions Liverpool ill gag when does it end when the likes of Birmingham catch up with us ,the time for drastic change is now ,before middle of the road becomes Liverpools catch phrase    :(

We all become disgruntled at some time, with  Managers or Players this was my time to project my anger into a statement ,see how I still refer to the club as mine , I guess old habits are hard to break .
I said my piece, and accepted theirs and didn't continually carp on and reiterate the same old argument, a genuine debate .
Last edited by redbeergoggles on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion