Dietmar hamann in the mire again

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby Reg » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:51 pm

Former Liverpool footballer Dietmar Hamann 'was too drunk to control car'

Dietmar Hamann, the former Liverpool footballer, was so drunk behind the wheel of his car that he could not control the vehicle, a court heard.

23 Feb 2010

Dietmar Hamann was released by Manchester City at the end of last season. Hamann, 36, was stopped by police at junction six of the M56 near his home in Styal, Cheshire, at 12.15am on July 12 last year.

The ex-German international midfielder, represented by celebrity lawyer Nick Freeman's law firm, was charged with drink driving after positive breath and urine samples.

He appeared to be driving at excess speed and clipped the kerb three times, Pc Michael Connolly told the court.

He said: ''The defendant was weaving within the lane. When I stopped him I could smell alcohol on his breath.

''His eyes were glazed and he was unsteady on his feet. He was obstructive and quite abusive.''

When PC Connolly asked Hamann whether he was carrying any sharp instruments, the star joked that he had a knife, the court heard.

''Yes, a knife, which is now in my car,'' said the footballer, who was released by Manchester City at the end of last season.

The breathalyser reading was 62mg per 100ml of breath, while the legal limit is 35mg, so he was arrested and taken to Altrincham police station.

When he arrived he was slurring his speech, Pc David Trigg told the court.

He said he was desperate to go to the toilet but PC Trigg told him not to as he might not have enough urine left to provide a sample.

The officer discarded the first sample while the second was sent for analysis, as according to the rules, the court heard.

But Hamann was not allowed to empty his bladder in between the samples, his lawyer Jon Oultram told the court.

This meant the two samples were effectively the same, which is against the rules, said Mr Oultram, from Freeman and Co, the law firm famous for finding unusual technical defences.

The urine sample came back positive, with a reading of 187mg per 100ml of urine, while the legal limit is 107mg.

But Hamaan had not been to the toilet for more than five hours so it was effectively ''old urine'', Mr Oultram said.

Hamann, wearing a navy suit and brown leather shoes, told the court that he had drunk half a bottle of wine several hours before driving.

He said: ''I do not think it is possible to hit big kerbs without causing damage to my car.

''My car is a big car and there is not too much space in those lanes to weave about.

''I just drove as I normally do. I did not slur and I was not unsteady on my feet.''

The footballer said he found it difficult to hold his bladder at the police station.

''Everyone knows how hard it is to stop when you need a wee,'' he said.

Hamann was found guilty and banned from driving for 16 months.

Judge Mark Hadfield said he believed the samples were in fact separate, as there was a 10 minute gap between them.

"I am afraid the finding I make is that they were separate samples.

"I found Pc Trigg to be a very fair witness.

"I will have to increase the ban, which would have been 12 months, because you did not plead guilty." he said.

The judge said Hamann will also have to pay £1,990 in costs, which he was given 28 days to settle.

The court heard he has no regular income since being released from Manchester City, but relies on his "significant" savings and occasional coaching for his former club, Liverpool.

He also lost his licence in October 2007 for six months for a series of motoring offences.

He crashed his £70,000 Porsche Carrera into a fence and refused to tell police who was driving, despite officers catching him running away from the scene.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:14 am

Hamann, wearing a navy suit and brown leather shoes, told the court that he had drunk half a bottle of wine several hours before

Navy suit, brown shoes ? Thank Christ the fashion police got him before he did further damage.

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby heimdall » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:33 am

If he gets off on that technicality then it's a fecking disgrace, that scumbag lawyer should be shot the number of guilty people he's managed to get off the hook.  :angry:
heimdall

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:38 am

The second time Hamann has been charged in this manner. It would seem the man is in need of some counselling, or help with what looks like the start of an addiction.
I wonder if the judge pointed him in the direction of that organisation that Tony Adams and Paul Merson attended ? Methinks it would be a wise decision...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Reg » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:33 pm

He lost all his money gambling if I recall correctly.  A troubled man beneath the skin........
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:38 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
Hamann, wearing a navy suit and brown leather shoes, told the court that he had drunk half a bottle of wine several hours before

Navy suit, brown shoes ? Thank Christ the fashion police got him before he did further damage.

:D

Before the strike, I have to say, pis.sed my self at that :laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leep33 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:28 am

heimdall wrote:If he gets off on that technicality then it's a fecking disgrace, that scumbag lawyer should be shot the number of guilty people he's managed to get off the hook.  :angry:

I agree
leep33

Postby Sabre » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:58 am

To be honest I started reading and stopped, I don't like the idea of Hamman having troubles, and normally those articles are not articles of solidarity, but full of details that don't help the player.

Sad to see he's in trouble
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:12 pm

Sabre wrote:To be honest I started reading and stopped, I don't like the idea of Hamman having troubles, and normally those articles are not articles of solidarity, but full of details that don't help the player.

Sad to see he's in trouble

Agreed
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:10 pm

Reg wrote:He lost all his money gambling if I recall correctly.  A troubled man beneath the skin........

It would appear so. Maybe he just can't cope with life after football  :(
Last edited by 7_Kewell on Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:26 pm

I recall him being subbed at Anfield  and emerging from the tunnel shortly after clutching a pint of lager and sipping it from the sidelines. Think it may have been a Champs League game. Cant remember the team but it was very sunday league  :oh: Did anyone else see that or have a dreamt it!
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge