Which do you rate as most important ? - New players or right manager at any cost

Please post your football related Polls in this forum

Which do you rate as most important ? - New players or right manager at any cost

New players
7%
Right manager at any cost
93%

Total votes : 15

Postby Owzat » Wed May 26, 2004 9:16 pm

I see a lot of speculation as to who we should buy when we don't even have a manager. I firmly believe having the right manager at whatever cost is more important than trying to add new parts to a non-functioning engine. If we splash the cash on Benitez we can get a manager who has won a major European league and will set us on the right tracks, if we get the wrong manager we could end up back at square one (where we were with Houllier)

At the end of the day we have got good players, but they weren't performing under Houllier. The new manager could be key in getting the very best out of players like Kewell, Owen and Gerrard and convincing the players to stay. Maybe the players think like you and I, and could see Curbishley as the wrong man and decide their future lies elsewhere. I really do fear we will not get the right man and two or three years down the line we'll be back where we were only a few months ago
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed May 26, 2004 10:04 pm

I'd have to say that a good manager comes first. You can have a fairly good manager and top class players but it doesn't always work. eg Chelsea. Then you can have a top manager and fairly good players and it CAN work. Just witness Porto tonight.

We need a combination of both, but the right manager is vital.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed May 26, 2004 10:11 pm

The Manager for me as well guys.

Be honest here, look through our squad and we really do have an excellent one. We need some additions, but they wont be available right away.

The right man, with the right man management skills and tactics can get the best out of Owen, Cisse, Kewell, Diouf, Hyypia, Riise, Baros, Le Tallac, Sinama, Cheyrou and Smicer. (Notice I didnt include Stevie here, as my nan could be his manager, (she is blind, deaf and dumb) and he'd still be an amazing player.)

The manager can make average players good and make decent players great. Great players can not win things without the right guidance. Look at Real Madrid this season.

This managerial appointment is the single most important descision that the Liverpool board has had to make for 15 years. I pray thay get it right.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed May 26, 2004 10:13 pm

I wish we'd held back on the Cisse transfer and offered Benitez good money and big bonuses
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oldredeyes » Wed May 26, 2004 10:14 pm

I agree with Woolly and your points about the manager Owzat.
We all know that having the right players with the skill and determination required in the premiership is paramount.
But it would all go sadly wrong without a strong and proven manager at the helm.
We need that job filling as a priority.
Lets hope Parry and Moores press all the right buttons.
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Wed May 26, 2004 10:31 pm

The right manager is quite obviously the most important concern.Players come and go but we are stuck with the manager for the next five years.I cant agree with Benitez though.He inherited a world class team from Cuper so it wasnt a major surprise when he did so well with them,Liverpool would be a completely different challenge for him,one im not convinced he is up to.O`Neill and Mourinho are the class candidates and anyone else will be second best.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 26, 2004 10:43 pm

The guy that steers the ship, not the one's rowing it. :p
I'm trying hard not to be abusive but did you really need to ask ????

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Wed May 26, 2004 11:02 pm

Defintely the manager.

I would go so far as saying that I would be prepared to see Gerrard and Owen leaving if it meant we got an absolutely top class manager who actually delivers the goods for once.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 26, 2004 11:05 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Defintely the manager.

I would go so far as saying that I would be prepared to see Gerrard and Owen leaving if it meant we got an absolutely top class manager who actually delivers the goods for once.

NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't even contemplate it. :(  :(  :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Wed May 26, 2004 11:08 pm

woof woof ! wrote:The guy that steers the ship, not the one's rowing it. :p
I'm trying hard not to be abusive but did you really need to ask ????

Duh - yes! Might be obvious to you but then there's always the odd cIeverd1ck who thinks everything is obvious and there is only one answer.........
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 26, 2004 11:08 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
John Barnes' Granny wrote:Defintely the manager.

NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't even contemplate it. :(  :(  :(

Might sound like I'm contradicting myself, i:e the guy that steers the ship is more important than the one's rowing it, but right now Gerard and Owen ARE the ship. :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Woollyback » Wed May 26, 2004 11:10 pm

Ah Woof, don't get all philosophical on us now - it's far too late for that  :;):
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed May 26, 2004 11:18 pm

A ship with no crew has no means of propulsion, a ship with no helmsman has no direction.
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 26, 2004 11:32 pm

Owzat wrote:A ship with no crew has no means of propulsion, a ship with no helmsman has no direction.

And a helmsman and crew with no ship are stuck at the pierhead  forever :(

Sorry guys , big spliff and a few cans . I'm off to kip.
Was impressed with Porto tonight, for a while there I thought they were gonnas blow it.

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Thu May 27, 2004 1:06 am

defo the manager. As many have said the squad we have is a good one, with a few additions making us excellent, but that will come.

A quality manager is needed first to assess the squad, get his ideas across and start implementing his tactics. Then he can bring in the players he thinks are necessary to strengthen the squad.

On s side note, Porto did well tonight and I would love to see Mourinho here next season as he said that will be his last game for Porto. He has also said his desired destination is England so I think it'll be us or Chelsea, time will tell.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football Related Polls