Big four vs the carling cup - Second string question

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:27 pm

Where do you think the teams the big four put out in the Carling Cup would finish in the league, if competing without affecting the strength of the club from which they would be formed ie all members available to both teams

LIVERPOOL

Starting XI : Cavalieri, Degen, Dossena, Carragher, Kyrgiakos, Aurelio, Riera, Mascherano, Spearing, Babel, N'Gog

Subs : Johnson, Skrtel, Gerrard (used), Reina, Plessis, Torres, Voronin (unused)

MAN UTD

Starting XI : Kuszczak, Neville, Brown, Evans, F.Da Silva, Carrick, Gibson, Nani, Owen, Welbeck, Macheda

Subs : Valencia, King, De Laet (used), Amos, Eikrem, Tosic, Ferdinand (not used)

CHELSEA

Starting XI : Hilario, Belletti, Ferreira, Ivanovic, Hutchison, Malouda, Zhirkov, J.Cole, Mikel, Kalou, Borini

Subs : Terry, Lampard, A.Cole (used), Turnbull, Matic, Bruma, Essien (not used)

ARSENAL

Starting XI : Szczesny, Senderos, Silvestre, Traore, Gilbert, Gibbs, Ramsey, Wilshere, Coquelin, Sunu, Watt

Subs : Barazite, Vela, Randall (used), Frimpong, Bartley, Eastmond, Shea (not used)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:32 pm

1. Chelsea
2. Man Utd
3. Liverpool
4. Arsenal
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:34 pm

None of them would get in the top four IMHO. Arsenal would fair best given a bit of luck with the young kids, then the Mancs, then Chelsea, then us. With that starting eleven we wouldn't get in the top half.
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:54 am

Arsenal and Chelsea would be mid table and ourselves and Manure would be in a relegation battle.
heimdall

Postby bigmick » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:14 am

heimdall wrote:Arsenal and Chelsea would be mid table and ourselves and Manure would be in a relegation battle.

The Mancs would be fine mate. The keepers decent, Evans is a good player, as are the full backs and Brown. Carrick in midfield is only temporarily out of favour I think, while up top they'd be dandy. Top eight I reckon.

For us, neither fullback is good enough while in the case of Dossena he's a mile away. Spearing isn't good enough IMHO, and neither is Aurelio/Riera as a a cntral midfielder either.

Despite his goal the other day I don't think N'Gog is good enough either, while babel only is when he feels like it. I don't think we'd go down, but we wouldn't be far off. Boltonish kind of standard.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:26 pm

Weve got Arsenal away, Man U got Barnsley, chelsea V Bolton, Spurs V Everton, City V Scunthorp,, Villa V sunderland.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:53 pm

Ciggy wrote:Weve got Arsenal away

Well I'm not being funny but if it was me I'd risk looking a bit silly if we lost but put our strongest team out. I keep saying it, but we might just be glad to be still in the Carling Cup come the new year. If we're in the hunt foreverything and the fixtures are piling up, we can always bin it/stick squad players in later on down the track.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:54 pm

Ciggy wrote:Weve got Arsenal away, Man U got Barnsley, chelsea V Bolton, Spurs V Everton, City V Scunthorp,, Villa V sunderland.

wow... thats unusual for us to get a difficult away draw and utd get an easy home draw

:Oo:
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:04 pm

Redman in wales wrote:
Ciggy wrote:Weve got Arsenal away, Man U got Barnsley, chelsea V Bolton, Spurs V Everton, City V Scunthorp,, Villa V sunderland.

wow... thats unusual for us to get a difficult away draw and utd get an easy home draw

:Oo:

Don't know about Barnsley being easy mate, they put some pretty good teams out of the FA Cup a couple of years back as I remember.

Knocked out of the Cup by Barnsley, at Home. I don't suppose that was one of the achievements Rafa was referring to when he said recently that "I knew even then that I would be a success in English football" (I think that was in the immediate aftermath of when we got knocked out another cup by Blackpool or Burnley or somebody like that).

So you never know. Barnsley beat us at Home so they might well beat the Mancs as well :).
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:04 pm

bigmick wrote:

Well I'm not being funny but if it was me I'd risk looking a bit silly if we lost but put our strongest team out. I keep saying it, but we might just be glad to be still in the Carling Cup come the new year. If we're in the hunt foreverything and the fixtures are piling up, we can always bin it/stick squad players in later on down the track.

Dunno mate look at our fixtures

Fiorentina (A)
Chelsea (A)
International break 2 weeks
Sunderland (A) 17 Oct,
Lyon (H) 20 Oct
Man United (H) 25 Oct,
Arsenal (A) 27th/28th Oct,
Fulham(A) 31 Oct, 
Lyon (A) 04 Nov,
Last edited by Ciggy on Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:09 pm

Feck me we'll have forgotten what Anfield looks like after that lot Lynds. Looking at that just re-enforces my conviction that we simply cannot afford to lose at Chelsea. Get something out of it and we're Ok, lose and we've got a mountain to climb. Sunderland Away with Darren Bent on fire definately won't be easy, while the Mancs will come to town smelling blood. They'll be very keen if at all possible to put the final dagger in which kills us off for good, as well as making ammends for last seasons two defeats. Neither is Fulham ever easy away either.

If we pulled in ten points out of those four matches it would be a massive achievement. Eight would be Ok as long as the two draws were against Chelsea and the Mancs. Any less though and could get a bit tricky.

I should also add that I was wrong about the strongest team against Arsenal, we're almost certainly going to have to play a weakened team (unless we're out of the league by then I suppose  :( ).
Last edited by bigmick on Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rockthekop » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:25 pm

Unkind draw but it's the Consolation Cup, stick out the second string and hope for the best. 

This is a fixture I would expect Arsenal to win though if it's their kids against our second string.
Rockthekop

Postby Greavesie » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:39 pm

Ciggy wrote:
bigmick wrote:

Dunno mate look at our fixtures

Fiorentina (A)
Chelsea (A)
International break 2 weeks
Sunderland (A) 17 Oct,
Lyon (H) 20 Oct
Man United (H) 25 Oct,
Arsenal (A) 27th/28th Oct,
Fulham(A) 31 Oct, 
Lyon (A) 04 Nov,

christ thats a rough list of games. Two home ties in eight  :Oo:
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Owzat » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:24 pm

Actually the Barnsley game is at Oakwell, unless we're seriously wanting to win it who cares who it is and where? Put out the reserves/kids, try to use it as competitive match practice and if/when we lose then get on with the important fixtures.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion