Hillsborough memorial match - Itv 4 from 7.00pm

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kharhaz » Thu May 14, 2009 10:37 pm

I thought it was a brilliant night. Watching the legends play now mixed with the memories of what we have seen them do in there younger days had me with a fixed smile on my mush :D

On a sidenote though, I wasnt fond of the booing for Teddy Sheringham. Regardless of who he has played for he has took his time out to contribute to a great occasion and thought it made us look petty. It was like the Man United match for the Munich Air Disaster. I thought it was petty when they booed our players as these kind of matches are not about rivalries but about the occasion and respect.

Other than that though, a great occasion which I enjoyed.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu May 14, 2009 10:44 pm

Ill tell you what though Shearer has just gone up a notch in my respect, One of the biggest games of his life at the weekend under so much pressure not just as a manager but his love as a fan an all, An he turns up. Well done Shearer mate.

An well done Alan Stubbs, nice that was .

Got a bit tearful for me ive got to be honest
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Thu May 14, 2009 11:14 pm

NANNY RED wrote:Ill tell you what though Shearer has just gone up a notch in my respect, One of the biggest games of his life at the weekend under so much pressure not just as a manager but his love as a fan an all, An he turns up. Well done Shearer mate.

An well done Alan Stubbs, nice that was .

Got a bit tearful for me ive got to be honest

that last rendition of YNWA choked me, well until the kids started singing anyway  :D

Its just really nice to see for every fan join together for the same cause Nanny, really makes me so proud to support this club, its what sets us apart  :nod

Everyone was top drawer today, legends, players, stars and fans alike

God bless
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Sir Roger » Fri May 15, 2009 7:48 am

Kharhaz wrote:I thought it was a brilliant night. Watching the legends play now mixed with the memories of what we have seen them do in there younger days had me with a fixed smile on my mush :D

On a sidenote though, I wasnt fond of the booing for Teddy Sheringham. Regardless of who he has played for he has took his time out to contribute to a great occasion and thought it made us look petty. It was like the Man United match for the Munich Air Disaster. I thought it was petty when they booed our players as these kind of matches are not about rivalries but about the occasion and respect.

Other than that though, a great occasion which I enjoyed.

I personally loved the booing.
We were in the lower centenary laughing our heads off at the Kop booing "sexy" sheddy terringham. He really wanted a cheer didnt he? Ha. I think it was done in good humour. When he scored and ran the whole length of the pitch to the kop and they still booed him I was in pleats.
It was a good night overall. Shearer was a good sport and played well enough to be in the current newcastle side. I though Lawrenson played really well too. Great to see the players of my youth still having a go. I was with my son explaining some of the history of the players. Ablett and macmanaman in particular, who still rile me for different reasons...
I told him about Michael Thomas's goal in the Anny road end, which still upsets me to this day. I am delighted I went to be a part of that night and the "stand up for the 96" was particularly moving.
Well done to everyone involved and here's to the next one.
By the way I'm not sure if Stubbs actually let Kenny score on purpose. Any thoughts...?
  ???
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Redman in wales » Fri May 15, 2009 10:49 am

There are so many good pics on .tv

Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Fri May 15, 2009 10:52 am

Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Fri May 15, 2009 10:53 am

Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri May 15, 2009 11:00 am

Sir Roger wrote:By the way I'm not sure if Stubbs actually let Kenny score on purpose. Any thoughts...?
  ???

Of course he did. He was about to play the ball, thought for a second, then left it. Kenny took it towards the far post and the keeper was on the same wave length (just about) and made feint attempts to block the shot.

It was a shame in a way, all the other goals were good finishes even if our second was arguably offside. It's nice to see players like Rush and Beardsley (did you see how quick he was at times?) in good shape, I reckon he could have played the whole 90 minutes. I seem to recall Lawro played for something like 70 mins at full-back in a previous legends game, he could probably get a game in the lower leagues as could Rush. It was nice to see so many actual legends, normally you get a few actual legends and then a lot of players who played for us but were not in the same league. But to see Hansen, Gillespie, Lawrenson, Staunton, Molby, McMahon, Beardsley, Aldridge, Rush, Dalglish (scorers in bold), Houghton, all play was great - and special mention to Harrison the keeper and captain who lost family on that day. Rush, Dalglish and Staunton went off and came back on later. I wonder if certain people's involvement might get mention on MOTD this weekend, Lineker certainly thinks he's witty so he's bound to try and get it in.

I can't remember if Whelan played, I think Venison, Barnes, Grobelaar and Nicol were the players mentioned in number as being "only four of the 14 in the squad on that day are not here" so I think he must have been.

Poor old Jan, looked like he was carrying the weight of the world round his middle. Shame Robbie didn't play, he said it was because he had a slight injury concern and his new club would not be amused if he made it worse in a charity match. It was a decent game, I guess too many were out of shape to make it a really good match and the celebs and constant substitutions make it less of a real match. One player was booked, a celeb was fouled, got up and then Ronaldo style threw himself to the floor again and rolled around! Would have been nice had they had names on the shirts, he could have had "Ronaldo 7" on his.

They probably should have scored more, they had enough players who hadn't long retired in their ranks. DJ Spoony and a number of other Liverpool fans played for the opposition, as did Tim Lovejoy who got a 'good reception' and missed a good chance (about 1/3 of an open goal, he hit the post)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri May 15, 2009 11:02 am

Redman in wales wrote:Image

Think those are Aldo's diving header (!) for the second and Dalglish tucking the ball through the keeper's leg for the third
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Fri May 15, 2009 11:42 am

our MOTM had to be Bolder ... made a couple of cracking saves  :D  possibly saved the game at 2-1
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Fri May 15, 2009 1:03 pm

It looks great fun, look at the crowd, everyones smiling and laughing - we should do it more often for good causes.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri May 15, 2009 9:39 pm

Reg wrote:It looks great fun, look at the crowd, everyones smiling and laughing - we should do it more often for good causes.

I wish they'd put together a senior's league, maybe half a dozen of the best sides of a decade or two ago, get them properly fit and play out at £10 a ticket with profits to charity.

I bet they'd get great crowds, a worthwhile cause and if the players could be as fit as Beardsley, Aldridge and Rush seemed to be, then there's no reason it wouldn't make for a good game of football.

Which six teams? Off the top of my head I'd go for Liverpool, Arsenal, bitters, spudz, forest and man utd. I'll have a look see who would be in it based on the top flight from say 1983-1996 (to avoid them being too old or too young)

Works out about right, I've since included villa who  probably deserve inclusion :-

Top Flight 83/84-95/96

Liverpool : 13 seasons, 4x Champions, 4x Runners-Up
Man Utd : 13 seasons, 3x Champions, 3x Runners-Up
Arsenal : 13 seasons, 2x Champions
Notts Forest : 12 seasons, 4x 3rd Place
Everton : 13 seasons, 2x Champions, 1x Runners-Up
Tottenham : 13 seasons, 3x 3rd Place
Aston Villa : 13 seasons, 2x Runners-Up

Couldn't really include Leeds who did win the league in 91/92, but that was only their second season in the top flight in the period and they only managed six seasons total out of 13. Chelsea were in the top flight for 11 seasons, but never finished higher than 5th. QPR managed to spend the whole time in the top flight, but never finished higher than 5th either as did one or two other teams like Coventry. I think those seven listed would probably be the best seven sides of the era, in terms of length of time in the top flight and league finishes. Covers 11 league titles out of 13, 10 Runners-Up spots and only forest didn't play every season of the period (went down in 92/93, bounced straight back up)

Could easily make great sides out of that lot, those that aren't in management etc. Maybe run the senior's league out of season. Be a lot more open and unpredictable than the Premiership
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Sat May 16, 2009 7:32 am

bugger.....I got so caught up with something in work last night that I completely forgot to ask my wife to record this for me.... :censored:.

Anyone know a place where I can watch it back please?
Homebooby

Postby KennyisGod....still » Sat May 16, 2009 8:24 am

its on lfc tv tonite i believe, 7pm bst
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Keris » Sat May 16, 2009 2:06 pm

sod off you fookin bellend!! :angry: :angry:
Keris
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion