No votes
Ana Lucia
No votes
Others (Please State)
20%

Total votes : 20

Postby andy_g » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:55 am

yyyyeeeeaaaahhhhh. the wire :buttrock

i just got into it recently and have been watching an episode or two every night. half way through season 3 now. omar is the mutt's nuts and bunk is a cool mofo aswell. its bloody hard to understand though - i'm an english speaker and i could use subtitles sometimes, especially so i wouldn't keep having to pause it and try and explain to my spanish girlfriend just what the hell is going on

:laugh:

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:41 pm

I like Eko when he was alive as for now Locke and Jack i guess . Sawyer is pretty funny as well and unpredictable , sometimes an :censored: , sometimes the hero
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:25 pm

Yeah, Eko was cool.

I liked it that they showed him to be a seriously bad mo fo in his past.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:52 pm

JBG wrote:I'm with Desm, er, Mikz, on this one!

Speaking of cool characters, anybody watch The Wire?

Prop Joe and Omar are SERIOUSLY cool characters. :blues:

Naymond, Dookie, and all the kids are hilarious.

Absolutely love the line about Howard county when Naymond wont go camping because he think the Klan lives there

"n*gga my aunt lives in howard county ani't no kkk out dere"

Its hilarious because for someone who lived in the projects of Baltimore city, they would think HOCO is KKK territory, but its just an afluent middle class suburb in the middle of Washington and Baltimore with 15% of its population being African American.

(Howard County Sucks, Montgomery County Rules!)
JoeTerp

Postby andy_g » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:41 pm

joe, would you say that the way the projects in baltimore are depicted in the wire is fairly true to life? is there so much gang related murder really going on? is it pretty much the same in many american cities?

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:02 am

Christ, you don't have to go to Baltimore for serious drug violence.

In Dublin and Limerick in Ireland there has been something like 150 drug related murders over the last 6 or 7 years. The dealers wear body armour and everything and even blackmailed soldiers into giving them training in automatic rifles.  :lookaround
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby IstanBuL-FenerBaHce » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:56 pm

MilitiaRusher wrote:Btw, I'm only currently on Season 1 Episode 16 as I've only started few days ago, but now I'm hooked.

alright milita, my favourite character in the first season was sayid. absolutely.

but after four long seasons my top5 is:

1- Desmond (you don't know him at the moment)
2- Sayid
3- Hurley
4- Benjamin Linus (you don't know him at the moment)
5- Jin
IstanBuL-FenerBaHce
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:29 pm

I personally am not from Baltimore, although my family ties are from there and most of my university friends are from the white suburbs, and I have never gone looking for drugs in the projects, but I have heard from people who have driven by that it looks the same, and I know that the writer is realllllly into making it look realistic, I can that all the actors especially the british ones, put some real time into learning their Bmore accents because they are spot on. The best example is the cop with the gray mustache that reads the minutes of the morning meetings pic  Character name: Lt. Dennis Mello, and in real life the guy who played him had both a brother and father serve in the Baltimore Police Department.

But yea the nothing ever changes attitude and the compromsies that you see in the political field with the gov and the mayor of Baltimore, that type of stuff definately happens. And I am sure that a lot of it can apply to other cities, but its certainly supposed to be a story about Baltimore, which is one of the worst in terms of violent crime, right up there with Washington DC, and they are right next to each other separated and surrounded by some of the richest suburbs in the country, very interesting dynamic.
JoeTerp

Postby andy_g » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:07 pm

yeah, that's pretty much what i was asking, joe. if baltimore is an extreme example and has been chosen as the site for the series for that reason, or if it was like that across the majority of the states. all of us who live or have lived in big cities around the world know that there is always gang crime, guns and the odd murder, but if all american inner cities were the same as baltimore as it is portrayed in the series it would be a terrifying prospect.

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:21 pm

andy_g wrote:joe, would you say that the way the projects in baltimore are depicted in the wire is fairly true to life? is there so much gang related murder really going on? is it pretty much the same in many american cities?

Did yer see the Louis Theroux documentary on the "Streets of Philadelphia"  ? F'ucking third world gangsterism in America's heartland, on every street corner. A side of the USA we never really see despite the "Hollywood" depictions. Left me thinking that under the crust, dig deep into the dish and the US is well and truly f'ucked up.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:49 pm

Philadelphia is far from the "heartland" especially the inner city where there is a cylce of violence and poverty. I blame the War on Drugs. If all these drugs were legal, than these gangsters wouldn't have any business, plus the governemnt would make money of the taxes and would save a ton of money by not having to waste time fighting the War on Drugs, not to mention all the money and lifes that would be saved by the decrease in gang related violence.
JoeTerp

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:57 pm

JoeTerp wrote:Philadelphia is far from the "heartland" especially the inner city where there is a cylce of violence and poverty. I blame the War on Drugs. If all these drugs were legal, than these gangsters wouldn't have any business, plus the governemnt would make money of the taxes and would save a ton of money by not having to waste time fighting the War on Drugs, not to mention all the money and lifes that would be saved by the decrease in gang related violence.

Maybe "heartland" wasn't the right expression Joe, just got the impression that in the heart of all major US cities there are areas like the one shown in Philadelphia, badly run down , poverty stricken, poorly educated population and run by gangs.

Agree that a radical rethink on the "War on Drugs" is required .
Last edited by woof woof ! on Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:30 pm

Well Philly is going to be one of the worst.
(of the top of my head based on public perception)
DC
Bmore
LA
NYC
Philly
Houston
Atlanta
Oakland
Detroit

data:
list of cities by crime rate
JoeTerp