Barry 'will not leave' in january

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:14 am

Martin O'Neill says Gareth Barry has pledged his future to Aston Villa until "at least" the end of the season.

Midfielder Barry, the subject of four failed bids from Liverpool in the off-season, will have one year of his contract left to run from next summer.

O'Neill said: "He is going to see it out here until the summer - at least - and see where we all are positioned.

"So any speculation in January will be purely that. I couldn't be more pleased. His form is very good."

O'Neill will hope a top four finish in the Premier League and Champions League qualification will persuade Barry, 27, to stay.

However, O'Neill admitted that Barry, who has the option to buy out the final 12 months of his contract, could move elsewhere.

O'Neill said: "Any sort of options are open to him. He will be in the driving seat if he continues to perform in the manner he is doing.

"Gareth can buy himself out of his final year. I understand that but it has never been a major issue with the owner of the football club [Randy Lerner].

"There has been no pressure from the owner to cash in. He is happy to hear the news as well that Gareth is staying.

"I know it is an old cliche but Gareth is really now just concentrating on the footballing aspect of things."

England's Barry has been with the Midlands club for 10 years and has been valued at £18m by O'Neill.

Meanwhile, Villa will entertain Fulham on Saturday without striker John Carew, who is out for two weeks with a recurrence of a back problem.

It is hoped surgery will not be required with Norway striker Carew, who has started only two of Villa's last eight games, being carefully monitored by Villa's backroom staff.

"We thought a couple of days' rest would sort it out but X-rays have shown up something and we are hoping that in a couple of weeks it will resolve itself," said O'Neill.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1....667.stm

So even if he is on £100k a week, which I sincerely doubt he is, that would cost £5.2m to buy out his contract. We could pay him that plus a signing on fee and not the £18m+ the leprechaun was said to have wanted last summer.

I'd sell him in January, knock down price of £10m. I guess the leprechaun doesn't want to lose him, but's running a big risk at a club that is perpetually UEFA cup with no guarantee even if they make the CL qualifiers that they'll get through those or even be in the same position the next season

Why the feck was anyone associated or associating themselves with Liverpool EVER considering the move in the summer, with talk of £15m, £18m, £17m + player(s) etc?!?!? I say the blocking of this move was 100% correct, we made enough noises that said player must be thinking of buying out his contract and moving to Liverpool. Why pay a fee that would be three, four or maybe five or more times what buying out his contract would cost? That for the sake of a one year wait? I just wish we hadn't wasted so much time pursuing that transfer, t'wasn't a great summer transfer wise.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:58 am

I thought you didnt like "Barny" now you posting threads about selling Mascha for him, and now another one.

FFS

Have is stats been that good or something or are you just fickle ?

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:43 am

during the summer I was interested in the Barry move... now that Alonso's been playing very well... I don't really see a reason why we have to be still talking about the Barry move anymore...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:59 am

Moved here

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Number 9 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:00 am

red37 wrote:Moved here

Jobsworth! :laugh:

I think the whole Barry thing is done and dusted.Theres a few other  positions i'd sooner see filled than CM!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:20 pm

If we can get him for cut price than what they wanted in the summer then we should try IMO. And im sure deep down he still wants to play for us. I just get the feeling a few clubs are going to come in for Alonso and Rafa will offload him on the premise of getting Barry.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Koptite » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:58 pm

i think if we can get him on a free then why not.....get rid of lucas not Alonso.
Koptite

Postby tubby » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:02 pm

Why would MON go through all that mess in the summer for Barry to potentially not even sign a new contract and leave for us for pennies? Doesnt make sense

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:03 pm

Why would MON go through all that mess in the summer for Barry to potentially not even sign a new contract and leave for us for pennies? Doesnt make sense

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion