Are the national competitions - Better when england are not involved?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:26 pm

Now im talking Euros and World Cup. I remember someone (cant remember who) during the world cup when england played saying we are boring to watch. And without a doubt, we are. The other time we were not involved was in the american world cup, and I personally thought that tournament was brilliant, just like this years Euros.

So, as I asked, is it better that we dont qualify for these tournaments as we seem to enjoy it more when england are not involved? or is it just me?
Last edited by Kharhaz on Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:57 pm

I don't know you but I miss England, and I think with the quality you have you should have been there. If you haven't it's not because you lack quality but because this quality hasn't been well managed.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:08 am

Sabre wrote:I don't know you but I miss England, and I think with the quality you have you should have been there. If you haven't it's not because you lack quality but because this quality hasn't been well managed.

Thats true, all we have so far under capello are friendlies but I cant help but feel he is going to go the same way as the rest, in his eyes a national Real Madrid. Top players but no team.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:18 am

English football lacks technical ability generally speaking, and the English national team isn't full of as many players as say Spain or Holland, who are comfortable on the ball - and who find it easier to play free flowing interchanging football.

Having said that, we still have enough quality to be there, and be a main contender. We just have to adapt to the type of qualities our squad possesses and play a different style of football - trying to replicate Spain/Holland/Portugal would be futile as we don't have any of the Deco/Sneijder/Iniesta/Xavi type of players - one touch supremos. We should be able to mix it here and there and play the odd passage of good interchange, but our style will inevitably be a more conventional one. One closer to the Germans, thats what we should be aiming for. A greater reliance on power, strength in the midfield, solid set set piece play and efficiency.
LFC2007

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:27 am

LFC2007 wrote:English football lacks technical ability generally speaking, and the English national team isn't full of as many players as say Spain or Holland, who are comfortable on the ball - and who find it easier to play free flowing interchanging football.

Having said that, we still have enough quality to be there, and be a main contender. We just have to adapt to the type of qualities our squad possesses and play a different style of football - trying to replicate Spain/Holland/Portugal would be futile as we don't have any of the Deco/Sneijder/Iniesta/Xavi type of players - one touch supremos. We should be able to mix it here and there and play the odd passage of good interchange, but our style will inevitably be a more conventional one. One closer to the Germans, thats what we should be aiming for. A greater reliance on power, strength in the midfield, solid set set piece play and efficiency.

Thats it right there, if you compare us closely to any other team then the Germans are it. Not pretty but efficient but for me there are too many who have gained "superstar" status. The germans have none of that type of player. And this is where, in my opinion the coach of england falls into that trap. If capello plays a team rather than the superstars he will succeed but he wont. He still picks beckham, the most overrated player ever. And these are for friendlies. It seems to me we have become the Real Madrid of the national stage, classy well known players who just cannot play as a team. At the minute capello is rotating captaincy and players but when it comes to competition he will go down the same route as the rest.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:17 am

Im glad they are not in it!Firstly because they did not deserve to qualify because they are not good enough!Secondly the pundits,commentators and newspapers make me sick when England are involved in anything.
Its the same every time.Talk of 1966.The team being built up to being world beaters before it starts,high expectations.Then the inevitable reality check that other teams they see as below them are vastly superior.
Some of the football by so called inferior teams eg Croatia,Russia and Turkey in this tournament would have destroyed England.Put them up against an on song Germany or Holland and they would have got murdered.

For too many years England have lacked proper guidance.They have some good players and one or two great players but they have been crying out for motivation from a passionate manager for way too long.
Dont get me wrong id like to see them do well,im just hoping that the failure to qualify will be a wakeup call that will put the players and FA's feet on the ground.
If Cappello can inject a bit of passion into the squad and get them playing well and for the shirt they will qualify for the world cup in 2 years time no bother!Will they win it?Not a snowballs chance in hell!

Then it will be back to the papers and pundits ripping shreads out of them as per usual!
The reality is the only people that think England are great and good enough to win anything are the English and sadly they are wrong!
If the Premier League were world football,they are about Evertons or Spurs level,better than most but falling short to break into the best! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:31 am

No riots!! No fat baldy tw@ts wanting a fight!

Yeah its a better place without England!!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liado » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:07 am

Kharhaz wrote:Now im talking Euros and World Cup. I remember someone (cant remember who) during the world cup when england played saying we are boring to watch. And without a doubt, we are. The other time we were not involved was in the american world cup, and I personally thought that tournament was brilliant, just like this years Euros.

So, as I asked, is it better that we dont qualify for these tournaments as we seem to enjoy it more when england are not involved? or is it just me?

I think everybody misses England.At least that is my impression even if I do not like their football style.
liado

Postby Owzat » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:20 am

I think England are a better presence on the pitch than Romania, Austria, Switzerland and Poland so in that sense yes. From a personal perspective I wish we had qualified, but then we got rid of McClueless so that eases the pain of not going out in the 1st round or QFs as usual.

I think England fans get a bad press over violence, other fans are as bad and sometimes worse. Not that calling them fans is appropriate, they're just hooligans. What I will say is the suggestion there were 100,000 Dutch fans at and around the game last night with the stadium capacity at 30k proves me right in saying this shouldn't have been co-hosted. So stupid financially and unfair on the fans, with so many fans who would have wanted to be in the ground the capacity should be a minimum of 50k. Politics and stupidity win the day, noone wants to see it hosted by the same countries, but England, Spain, Italy etc have the ground sizes and surely filling grounds adds to atmosphere and makes for a better competition?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion