Tactical "intelligent" football - Why don't they try more of this.....

For new members to introduce themselves - Guest Book

Postby champion5times » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:50 pm

I have been a Liverpool fan a few years now and in that time spotted some excellent play away from the norm - but it doesn't happen much. It seems more by fluke than by thought out planning.

If a corner is taken, the standard, "hit it high for a header" gets old. It is expected by the other team! So why not try something different more often? Or the way a penality is taken or a free kick close to goal.

Best play I have seen away from the norm is:

1) CL Semi at Anfield 2007 v Chelsea. The free kick was took, hit along the ground and they were not expecting that. GOAL!

2) CL Semi at Anfield 2007 v Chelsea. The ball is struck from near the half way line pretty hard. Naturally the goal keeper is going to save it, but most likely it will bounce off his hands rather than be caught by them. Have a player waiting just outside the last defender to run in and score. Kurt tried it, but was OFFSIDE.

3) CL Final 2005 & World Cup 2006. The spanish seem to like this one. Take a penality low and to the left. Odds are the goalkeeper won't reach, but if he does and it bounces off his hands, then you car run in and hit it to the right (or up) where there is now a big open goal

4) CL Final. B Munich 1999. One of their players effectively lingered and became part of the Man U wall on a free kick. His player then hits the ball directly at him. Just as he is taking it, the player moves around the back of the wall, the ball goes through the open space and in. 1-0. Very clever play indeed.

If I were a manager, this is what I would be thinking up, rather than just saying "fall over and try and get free kicks."

It boggles the mind why we don't seem more unusal stuff. Unexpected things! If Liverpool do that, then it will get them the winning points for the Premier League! Every match has to be thought of as a final to win that title.

C5T
http://www.youtube.com/user/championsleaguefive
champion5times

Return to Introductions Forum