Brian reade - Spot on

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ste123lfc » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:40 am

I know he is a red but another spot on article by Brian Reade

3 games when Wenger myths were exposed
Brian Reade   12/04/2008

Arsene Wenger reckoned those three games with Liverpool would produce a moment of truth for his team.

But when the truth was delivered he tried to swat it away with a lie. An embarrassing one at that. Blaming the referee for the 4-2 Anfield defeat was a lamentable diversionary tactic. Wenger failed in Europe once again because his squad wasn't strong enough and his leadership wasn't good enough.

A few myths were shattered in those three meetings about a team whose free-flowing football is hailed as the best in the land. Easy on the eye it undoubtedly is. But you don't win games by adding up the passes and you don't win trophies without a killer's mentality.

In the two games at the Emirates, Arsenal failed to score from open play and at Anfield Pepe Reina was hardly tested outside the two goals. Over the two European ties the Gunners threw away a leading position three times. Each time, very cheaply.

Wenger has clearly needed to dip into his £60million war chest but refused to on the grounds it might upset the balance of a team of kids who were developing together. Another myth. Most aren't kids anymore. The average age of the starting line-up at Anfield was 25.

The Frenchman's real moment of truth will come tomorrow if he fails to beat Manchester United, meaning his trophy haul these past four years comprises one FA Cup. Benitez can match his FA Cup over the same period, throw in a European Cup and possibly add a second one next month. So how come Wenger is perceived in this country as one of the great managers of modern times yet Benitez is consistently derided?

The Spaniard recently masterminded wins home and away against Italian league leaders Inter Milan. Wenger beat their ageing Milan rivals (who lie 20 points behind them) in the San Siro but failed to do so at the Emirates. Yet whose achievement had English football in raptures? Wenger's of course.

The Arsenal boss rested five first-team regulars against Liverpool last Saturday to keep them fresh for Europe. It cost them the points which probably cost him the title but no one said a peep. When Benitez did that earlier in the season he was slaughtered for being a Tinkerman.

Liverpool clawed their way back into Wednesday's game via Sami Hyypia's free header at a corner, yet no one pointed out the deficiencies of Wenger's man-to-man marking system. Whenever Liverpool concede from a set-piece, Benitez is savaged for employing zonal marking.

Maybe it's time Benitez's legion of critics within football (and Anfield) faced their own moment of truth, and admitted he is not in his third Champions League semi-final in four years because he has pact with the devil, but because he is one of the modern game's great coaches, whose only failing in top-flight management has been an inability thus far to deliver the Premier League title to Anfield.

Maybe they should accept he's been up against clubs like Chelsea and United these past four seasons, with far greater resources, and recall it took Alex Ferguson seven years to win his first title.

Maybe, now the blood is drenching the boardroom carpets, they will realise civil war has been raging at Anfield all season, and Benitez has been caught in the middle. His mental health publicly questioned, judgments undermined, spending ridiculed and forward planning sabotaged. They even admitted to actively seeking his replacement.

Yet his reserve side has just walked the northern section of the Premier Reserve League league, he stands on the brink of a Champions League Final and qualification for next season's competition. I'm sure his many critics will dismiss it as a fluke. Just like his two La Liga titles and UEFA Cup wins were at Sevilla.

What did Gary Player once say about being lucky. The more he practised the luckier he became. In the biggest club competition in the world Rafa keeps getting plenty of practice.

Maybe one day he'll get lucky, unlike Wenger, and win it. Oh . . he already has.
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby RedBlood » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:45 am

great read
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:56 am

ste123lfc wrote:I'm sure his many critics will dismiss it as a fluke. Just like his two La Liga titles and UEFA Cup wins were at Sevilla.

Sevilla? surely it's valencia?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ste123lfc » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:57 am

maguskwt wrote:
ste123lfc wrote:I'm sure his many critics will dismiss it as a fluke. Just like his two La Liga titles and UEFA Cup wins were at Sevilla.

Sevilla? surely it's valencia?

I spotted that, but the rest is true. :)
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:13 pm

Is right! :nod  Nice read.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:04 pm

Brians far to happy clappy for my likeing . WE WANT THE LEAGUE AND WE WANT IT NOW!!! :D
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:13 pm

Maybe it's time Benitez's legion of critics within football (and Anfield) faced their own moment of truth, and admitted he is not in his third Champions League semi-final in four years because he has pact with the devil, but because he is one of the modern game's great coaches, whose only failing in top-flight management has been an inability thus far to deliver the Premier League title to Anfield.

I think Rafa's "legion of critics" have not criticized him for failure in delivering the Premiership title, the criticism has been because despite all the european glory ,which has highlighted our ability to beat any team anywhere at almost any time, despite all of this, domestically we haven't even been close to mounting any serious CHALLENGE for the title never mind actually winning it !  :kungfu:
Last edited by woof woof ! on Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:26 pm

Good lad Brian Reade and a good Kopite aswell

(quote)

Maybe they should accept he's been up against clubs like Chelsea and United these past four seasons, with far greater resources, and recall it took Alex Ferguson seven years to win his first title.

Bl.oody hell them words could of come out of my mouth :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:03 pm

Top read and a good one after a few of tomkins rubbish ones , can't agree more ..
Wenger is nt a great manager , his youngsters have failed and instead of blaming them or pointing the blame to them he blames sveryone , the refree , global warming , but never his team , thats where i feel he ahs failed as a manager , ferguson will show his displeasure at the players if they fail to perform , the latest being the long serving ruan giggs
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:10 pm

I feel another happy-clappy moment coming on ! :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:15 am

the phrase 'happy clappy' to decribe a fan of liverpool. Is anyone else onto how stupid a turn of phrase that is?

Not having a dig at Reg, just a dig at that phrase.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:20 am

hello_red wrote:the phrase 'happy clappy' to decribe a fan of liverpool. Is anyone else onto how stupid a turn of phrase that is?

I always thought it as a prostitutes excuse for a holday !

Why cant you work?
got the clap !

Whoohoo 2 weeks off !

Hence:

Happy Clappy !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:38 am

Kharhaz wrote:
hello_red wrote:the phrase 'happy clappy' to decribe a fan of liverpool. Is anyone else onto how stupid a turn of phrase that is?

I always thought it as a prostitutes excuse for a holday !

Why cant you work?
got the clap !

Whoohoo 2 weeks off !

Hence:

Happy Clappy !

well there in lies the problem. too much sex.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion