Why the kop cracked - By brian reade

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby supersub » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:46 am

I did not barrack Gerard Houllier on Wednesday,neither did any of the fans around me in the Kemlyn Road stand.
       Mainly because most of us had been lulled into a comatose condition by the apology for football being played by most of the men in red shirts.
        The Kop did chant "attack,attack,attack",just to remind the players they're at Anfield and we pay to see them take on defences,especially when they are as hapless as manchester city's.
         As for the booing of Igor Biscan's substitution,Idon't condone it,but I understand it.When the much-trumpeted injury crisis is over yet the best you can do to enlivena dreadful performance is bring on a failed central midfield player turned makeshift centre-half to play as a right-winger,it drags some fans to the end of their tether.
          Houllier wants to know why Koppites are moaning so here is the answer.Because after promising us attacking football,he has reverted to playing the sterile,counter-attacking game which is ugly to watch,is not the Liverpool way,was sussed by opponents three years ago,and will take them no further than Roy Evans did.
           Because the squad he has spent £110 million on has too many characterless lightweights who are unfit to play at the highest level,whichis why they are currently 23 points behind Arsenal and light years away from the title.
           And because they fear that scrambling into fourth place will be passed off as a great success,and the same coaching staff,players (minus Michael Owen) and mentality will be in place next season,and Liverpool will be heading towards the permanent pastures of mediocrity.
           Now does that answer your question?
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby leothelion » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:02 am

HEAR HEAR YOU CANT BE MORE HONEST THAN THAT
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
"MEMBER OF BEAVIS CREW"
leothelion
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:35 pm

That just about sums it up for me :(
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ROBtheRED » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:23 pm

Good point Supersub, i was in the main stand on wednesday and i didn't participate in any booing but there was a number of supporters around me who boo'd the substitution when Biscan came on. I don't accept booing your own team but like you say, sometimes you can understand why - i believe it was partly because it was a defensive player being exchanged for an attacking player but also because it was Biscan coming on who a lot of fans don't see as a Liverpool player full stop (as quoted by a chap sitting behind me in more colourful terms). The media have highlighted this as the fans losing faith in Gerard Houllier which i'm not saying isn't the case but there was NOT constant dismay in the stands more a heartened cry of ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK! .... a 3rd goal would have done us the world of good but it didnt come and as the clock ticked on we were dragged deeper into our own half leaving Owen isolated up front. Heskey was brought on and seemed to be playing a defensive midfield role and Igor was used as a right midfielder - both looked uncomfortable and nervy and the whole side then looked vulnerable, we had no outlet other than the hopeful longball to Owen. This is our frustration - if there is negative play on the field it will transmit itself to the terraces and vice a versa, so i believe it is important the fans get behind the team as we normally do and hope the game against Portsmouth later on will show our support to spur us on into the quarter final. 
The kop will never crack but it can give its opinion!
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DAV » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:35 pm

spot on
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion