Jonathan woodgate

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby metalhead » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:43 pm

Boro clinch Woody coup

Middlesbrough have confirmed the permanent signing of Jonathan Woodgate for £7million from Real Madrid, with the England defender signing a four-year contract at the Riverside.

The 27-year-old had joined Boro at the start of the campaign on a season-long loan, having endured two injury-ravaged years at the Bernabeu.

JONATHAN WOODGATE Woodgate joined Real from Newcastle United for £13.4million in the summer of 2004, but made only a handful of appearances for the Spanish giants.

He had spent 18 months on Tyneside, having sprung to prominence during a four-and-a-half year stint with Leeds United.

The stopper has won six England caps to date and won his place back in the national team set-up since moving to the Riverside.

Boro boss Gareth Southgate told the club's official website: "It's a real boost for us, not only for now, but in terms of planning for next season.

"The opportunity to bring in a player of this quality does not happen very often. We said when he signed him on loan that it was a coup, but to now get him on a permanent basis is massive for this football club.

"He has shown us this season that he's as good as there is in the Premier League and that's not something I say lightly.

"We have known this last couple of months that Woody wanted to stay. He came to tell me and the chairman that he would like to sign.

"Negotiations with Real Madrid have taken a little while, we had to be sure it was the right deal for this club. Now it's all done we're obviously delighted.

"It shows that we're moving in the right direction if we can attract a player of this quality."

Source

---------

I know it has nothing to do with Liverpool, but I would like to comment on that we have missed a very very good center back! 3 years ago Rafa wanted to sign him and Im dissapointed he did not go for him last summer. No disrespect to Agger, but Woodgate is a better defender than agger will ever be!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Elchris » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:19 pm

Stu muz be gutted
Elchris

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:20 pm

the boro fans will be creaming themselves on the football phone in up here tonight.

£7m is a steal though.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:39 pm

If he can stay fit its fantastic business, its still a big if though despite him performing more this season, he still has far too many niggly injuries and misses too many games.

Imagine we had a big game coming up and you were relying on him to be fit, could you be confident that he was going to be available, i couldnt.
Great defender though.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pedro Maradona » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:55 pm

very harsh on Agger.....Agger is what?? 21 years old???
Woodgate is a great defender but if he was as good as they say wouldnt he be first choice in the English team and Real Madrid would probably have wanted to hold on to him.
Pedro Maradona

Postby welsh wizzard » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:26 pm

Woodgate only trains twice a week because of his injuries, he also smokes 20 tabs a day. Boro got him because he prob knew he was on a good thing there at his home club.
welsh wizzard
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby europian-kings » Wed May 09, 2007 5:55 pm

i am a masiv fan of woodgate. always liked the way he plays and his attitude...him and carragherr wuld have been wiked at the back!
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

Return to The Rumour Mill