Fan from spain - Why is liverpool so special?

For new members to introduce themselves - Guest Book

Postby joangg154 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:11 pm

Hi scousers!

I teach English as a foreign language in Valencia, Spain and just wrote in my blog a couple of lines telling my students why LFC is so special... could you help me giving reasons? you can either comment in my blog joangg154.wordpress.com or leave replies here, I'll be calling back. :help
Last edited by joangg154 on Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joangg154

Postby Sabre » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:49 pm

Hi welcome

Well I'm not a scouser, I'm from San Sebastian actually but I can tell you a couple of things about why your kids should respect LFC and what makes it especial if you compare it to Mestalla boys, for instance.

If you must do a list of classic football teams you should list for starters the teams that have ever achieved an european cup, now known as the Champions league. Manchester United, or Barcelona would fit in this category.

A step above you have the dominant teams, by dominant I mean the teams that ruled a whole era of football. Liverpool was dominant in the eighties, Real Madrid was dominant before, and Milan was dominant in the nineties. Dominant teams are those with a number (more than two) CL cups and that left their signature during an important period of time. Liverpool F.C. is one of those.

But LFC glory is not about titles, after all, Real Madrid also manages to win cups.

The most important difference a Spanish football fan should understand is that people do not go to football to be pleased by a show of their liking as we do in Spain. In Spain people go to watch football, and if they're not pleased with what they see they whistle and boo ther players.

Going to Anfield is not about going to a theater, even in the dark nineties, with a team with so much titles in his pocket placed in the 8th place, Anfield sang YNWA as loud as when they were a winning team. English crowd and especially Anfield crowd support their team most when they need it most, ie, bad place in the league, or a goal conceded. In Spain it's often seen how the crowd goes impatient when the oposition scores. That's a huge difference.

And last but not least, LFC is Special because it's community sense. To understand it further you should read and tell the lads at school about why the Kop is named the Kop, let them learn something about Bill Shankly, or how LFC crowd stood together against tribulation after tragedies like the one of Hillsborough.

I don't have much time now, hope this helps.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joangg154 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:58 pm

Sabre, ezkerrikasko for taking your time to reply. I think I got the idea of community sense in my blog, anyway, with your permission I'll copy and paste some of your paragraphs. I had no idea about the Kop, i'll google for it.
joangg154

Postby Sabre » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:30 pm

You're welcome.

I don't mind you copying and pasting it, needless to say :)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Introductions Forum