Justice - Light at the end of the tunnel

Hillsborough remembrance and related information

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:28 am

it seems that the campaign is getting somewhere at last. this is from the echo

THE timing could not have been more poignant.

As more than 40,000 people at Anfield chanted "Justice for the 96" the mother of one Hillsborough victim was being given a glimmer of hope which might, just might, lead to at least a semblance of justice being achieved after all these years.

Anne Williams is a one woman campaign. Barely a day has passed since her 15-year-old son Kevin was taken at Hillsborough when she hasn't fought for justice in his name.

Now she may be about to get her reward. After being denied justice on countless occasions by the British judiciary Anne decided to take her fight to the European Court of Human Rights and her perseverance has paid dividends for now in her possession is an official legal document entitled "Anne Williams versus the United Kingdom".

If the title is foreboding - the very idea of taking on the British establishment on an international stage would undoubtedly strike fear into many people - Anne isn't about to be put off by the scale of what she is trying to achieve.

Instead, seeing her name listed in direct legal combat with the state has given her a feeling of empowerment while also raising her hopes that she may finally see justice being done for Kevin and the other 95 Hillsborough victims of the tragic events of April 15, 1989.

"I am fighting the system," she says. "But I have been doing that all along so it doesn't scare me.

"I'm sure they would like nothing better than for me to give up and leave them in peace but I am not going to do that. All I want is a proper investigation into how Kevin and all the other Hillsborough victims were killed.

"I have been denied justice in my own country so I have had to take my fight to Europe. I suppose this is my last chance but I'm preferring to look upon it as my best chance."

Critics may ask why Anne, originally from Formby but now living in Chester, is not prepared to let it lie and why she is not prepared to accept the verdict of the British courts.

Her answer is simple - "Because 17 years on we are still to get justice".

Anne's spirit is admirable, her determination an example to anyone who has walked away from a battle because the odds were stacked against them.

But such qualities, though laudable, carry no weight in court. Anne's hopes of seeing justice done rest entirely on the strength of her legal argument.

Her entire case is based on article two of the Human Rights Act which stipulates everyone has a right to life which is protected by law.

Anne's argument is that Kevin's human rights were not protected by this law as they should have been because there has never been a proper investigation into his death.

Story continues Continue story
ADVERTISEMENT

She says: "There has been an inquest, a scrutiny and I have been to the Attorney General on four separate occasions.

"But their verdicts have always been based on the factually incorrect assumption that all the victims were dead by 3.15pm.

"We have concrete evidence that Kevin was alive until 4pm so our argument is that he has never been subject to a proper investigation into his death as Human Rights law decrees he should."

Should the European court rule in favour of Anne, 55, it could order a new public inquiry into the events after the 3.15pm cut off time, order a hearing to be opened at The Hague or simply order the British government to pay her compensation for having infringed both her son's and her own human rights.

"I'm not after compensation," insists Anne. "That is not something that has ever motivated me.

"All I want is justice for Kevin."

Though fear of failure is something which haunts Anne, who has two other children, Michael and Sara, she still feels the truth will be out there regardless of whatever ruling the European court comes back with.

"I have written one book about Kevin's case, called When You Walk Through A Storm, and I'm now writing another one called I Never Walked Alone, so no matter what happens the truth will always be in books," she says.

Given Saturday's events at Anfieldwhen the whole ground chanted for justice and leaflets were distributed underlining the ongoing battle, I Never Walked Alone could not be a more appropriate title.

"I was thrilled when I watched what the Liverpool fans did at Anfield," says Anne.

"It shows that even after all this time they are still as keen to see justice done as I am.

"I really appreciate that."
112-1077774096

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:45 am

The failure to apportion appropriate blame for Hillsborough is a travesty of British justice, but an unsurprising one. The police certainly caused the disaster but Thatcher's government, which hated football fans anyway, was never going to allow the police to be blamed. Liverpool's left-wing history also didn't do them any favours with the Tory government at the time because the political establishment  already had an disgraceful prejudice of Scousers as being a source of "trouble". The police had a built-in "hooligan" mentality and as soon as they saw masses of fans and a disturbance at a football stadium, they put two and two together and on this day it equalled ninety-six. Neglect and a shocking lack of common sense and rationality by the police. The fences around pitches were disasters waiting to happen. Thankfully Taylor's investigation removed them. The whole disaster could have been avoided had they simply delayed the kick-off. The police on that day should be ashamed of themselves and until they are held to account for what they did, or rather what they didn't do, justice cannot be served.

I hope she succeeds.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Salty Sock » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:25 pm

My prayers are with her. Lets hope and pray.
Salty Honors Acceptee List: Graham01, grayghost, dawson99, Bamaga Man, GYBS, LegBarnes, frankp57, Toffeehater, crazyhorse , Number 9, dward, Judge, Sabre :) PM for info!

Salty Sock

Postby Zi-Dan Agger » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:44 pm

I didnt really know where to put this post so if its in the wrong place please feel free to copy it an move it to the correct thread!

I've just found out that mackenzie will be doin a series of shows on bbc4 soon!!!  ive posted a letter of complaint on the bbc website, but had no reply, surprise surprise eh??  i hope other ppl will also complain, i got sum more adresses to complain to:
1. BBC Complaints
PO BOX 1922
Glasgow
G2 3WT

2.Editorial Complaints Unit
BBC Media Centre
Media Village
201 Wood Lane
London
W12 7TQ

(if you are not satisfied after complaining to the BBC)
3. janice.hadlow@bbc.co.uk
this is the e-mail address for the controller of bbc4.
cmon guys, if we all get behind this then we can really acheive something!!!
YNWA JFT96!!!!
Zi-Dan Agger

Return to Hillsborough