Interview with: - Jose reina

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:41 pm

PEPE REINA: THE BIG INTERVIEW

Jimmy Rice 01 December 2006

A record-shattering first season at Anfield earned Pepe Reina comparisons with some of the club's greatest ever goalkeepers. But as the curtain opened on his second Premiership campaign, things began to go a bit awry for the Spanish stopper.  A gloveful of lapses such as the one witnessed in the Merseyside derby meant he was suddenly fair game. A year of brilliance counted for nothing, apparently.  But it's a funny old game, football. Two months on, the status quo has been resumed following seven clean sheets in eight games. Now the only Pepe-talk relates to a new contract.

REINA SPEAKS TO LFC.tv

Firstly, there has been a lot of talk this week about Rafa wanting to extend your contract. How do you feel about that?

I've got two more years left on my contract so I am not worrying about that right now. I'm happy to be here at Liverpool.

You got a bit of stick at the start of the season when things weren't going your way. How hard was that to take?

Goalkeepers will always be in for criticism because there is a fine line between making a mistake and making a really good save. As a goalkeeper you must be prepared for this - it's not the same as being a midfielder. I was cool about the criticism because I have confidence in myself, and I know the boss and my teammates also have confidence in me.

Do you read the newspapers at times like that?

I don't like reading the papers, not even Spanish ones. What can the press say to me? I know when I play well and I know when I play bad.

Do you think about any mistakes you make when you go to bed at night?

Yes. I try to think about how I can learn from the mistakes, and also not make them again. I always want to improve. It was a difficult time, but I've had worse. It was nothing compared to how I felt when I was at Barcelona and I wasn't getting a game.

Did Jerzy Dudek help you during the first few months of the season?

Yes. Jerzy was helping and supporting me all the time. He told me about his experience in his second year at Liverpool. He said it was more or less similar. We have spoken many times about that. He is a really nice guy and we are very good friends.

He doesn't hold being second choice against you, then?

A lot of the time the relationship between goalkeepers at a club depends on the person who is not in the team. This is because it can be difficult to be on the bench. But with Jerzy this is not a problem. He is more than good about the situation.

Who has been the biggest influence in your career?

My father. He played as a goalkeeper for 17 years in the top division in Spain. He played for Barcelona and Atletico, so there were many things I could learn from him.

Does he still ring you to give you advice?

We speak all the time but now we talk like father and son rather than two goalkeepers. Outside things are sometimes more important to talk about with family.

Has he been to Anfield yet?
No, but he will come maybe at the end of the month or in January. That will be a special experience for him and for me. I've told him he has to come and experience the atmosphere at Anfield

So were you always going to be a goalie then, because of your dad?
Almost every kid wants to run around and score goals. I was the same, but I soon realised that physically I was more suited to being a goalkeeper than a midfielder or winger, or whatever.

You've said before that you were surprised how physical the Premiership was. How did you go about adapting?
Football is football everywhere, but maybe it's slightly more physical here. I'm quite physical anyway so I just have to be brave when the team needs me and also do things without thinking. All the boys spend time in the gym - that's important too.

You have a reputation as a great penalty saver, what's your secret?
My secret is my secret, sorry!

Do you have any superstitions?
I have many. I go on to the pitch right-foot first. I also touch the post and the crossbar before kick-off. I don't know why – it's a superstition.

Who do you see as the top three Premiership goalkeepers?
There are many good goalkeepers here so it's difficult to say a top three. Jens Lehmann is a good one, Paul Robinson is a good one and also Petr Cech. I like Shay Given too. Scotty Carson is doing very well as well

I was going to ask you about him. How good could he be?

He is very young and has a lot of time to improve, so we are positive about him. I think he will be a really good goalkeeper.

What's the most goals you've conceded in a single game?

Five, I think. It was against RC Recreativo, the team that Florent Sinama-Pongolle is at. It was a nightmare, I tell you. We played with nine men for almost all of the game. It was impossible. Opportunity after opportunity. I felt so bad, but you know maybe this will only happen once or twice in your career.

You played in midfield during a pre-season friendly after Rafa ran out of outfield subs. Is that something you'd like to do again?

It certainly was an experience! I was really tired after 15 minutes and now I know how hard it is to be a player. Maybe I will not shout at players any more because now I respect them even more! I've felt how they feel when they miss a pass or a goal. It was funny because it was a friendly but I think I will stay in goal from now on.

So, you've had a go in midfield, which outfield player do you think could take your place between the sticks if necessary?

Xabi Alonso, no doubt. He does it sometimes in training and saves a lot. I think he is the fourth-choice goalkeeper behind me, Jerzy and David Martin! I don't know if I'd back him to save a last-minute penalty, but he is definitely good.

How much do you know about some of the legendary goalkeepers of Liverpool's past?

I don't know much about the past goalkeepers. Obviously I've heard a lot about Grobbelaar and Ray Clemence because last year there were a lot of possibilities to break some of their records. I haven't seen them play because I'm only 24 – I wasn't born when Clemence was playing

A lot of Liverpool fans grew up watching their goalie catch the ball, but you like to punch. Why do you think punching is better?
I don't say it is better, but maybe it's more safe. I try to catch inside the six-yard box but outside that I choose to punch because the referees allow the strikers to do many things. It's safer to punch

You mention safety, would you be in favour of wearing head guards as was suggested earlier in the season when Petr Cech got injured?

I respect the opinions of the people saying these things but I do not think it is necessary. I do not want to wear these things. A goalkeeper will get injured by accident maybe once in 10 years, that's it.

Moving on to life at Melwood, who's your best mate at the club?

It's difficult to say, but probably Jerzy, Xabi Alonso and the other Spanish lads. My relationship with all my teammates is really good though. I think if you asked any of them they would say Pepe is a nice guy. I hope so anyway!

Jamie Carragher recently said you were an honorary Scouser. How do you feel about that?

thank him for saying these things. My accent is not Scouse but thankfully he sees things like that. I haven't got any Scouse words yet – maybe I say baccck, like someone from Liverpool! I can understand people like Stevie, Carra and Robbie more now but it is still difficult.

Who scores the most past you in training?

All of the strikers because that is their job. Peter is good, Stevie is good for sure. Robbie too.

yes folks....another Reina thread  (those who dont see the official LFC mag/web  might appreciate it anyway)  As for Reina, he comes over pretty much as id expect; a sensible chap who is realistic about life, that happens to be a 'top' class goalie - 'world' class ?..........not quite just yet, but he could well end up as one.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Rafa D » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:03 pm

My secret is my secret  - Class.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion