Xabi prieto

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby LFCFan4Life » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:50 am

I know this is from tribalfootball, but Marca are also reporting it

tribalfooball.com - August 21, 2006

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez may be forced to make a decision over Real Sociedad midfielder Xabi Prieto.
The Reds have first refusal on Prieto, which was secured last January when Benitez agreed to loan winger Mark Gonzalez to Real.

Prieto has emerged as a target for Real Betis, which see him as a replacement for Valencia-bound Joaquin. Should Betis make a firm bid, Real will be obliged to inform Liverpool, which will have the option of matching the Seville club's offer and taking Prieto to England.

http://www.marca.com/edicion....51.html

-Basicaly we've had the first option on Prieto after we loaned out Mark to Sociedad last season.

Sabre, mind posting anything we don't know ?
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby anti-hero » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:17 am

I've heard about this guy months ago.. on this forum even, when we were still desperately looking for a right winger.

I think his named cropped up before we started pursuing Alves, so I guess, he was one of the earlier linked midfielders.

But I never knew we had first refusal on the player.

I didnt even know we had even acquired him!

Which is weird.. if we had acquired him and had first refusal, wouldnt his name be seen more in the papers or the television during and after the Alves saga? ???  Shouldnt have Rafa played him at least one game, because of the need for a right winger?

Maybe its because he's Basque, like Alonso, or because of  the "rave reviews" Gonzalez had supposedly given Rafa.

But I'm choosing not to believe this rumour.

Though I would want him here.. :D

I'm not convinced that there is any truth in it.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:36 am

No, Liverpool hasn't acquired Xabi Prieto, but aqquired some rights on certain RS players: Real Sociedad must inform LFC whenever a team makes an offer for Riesgo (Keeper) and Prieto (Right Winger) and LFC has the right to equal that offer. If LFC matches the money of the team, he has the right to sign up the player.

But the offer so far has been very poor and RS is not willing to sell the player unless the offer is huge. Betis is going to receive about 16M quid for Joaquin, and the offer they have done for Prieto is about 4M. Not enough. I just can't remember how that right is called in english, "Refusal right" or something (edit, Oh I saw it's "first option" sorry AB).

THe player says he wants to stay here in San Sebastian unless the club decides to sell him. It doesn't seem likely he'll go this year, according to some trustworthy contacts around here.

The player keeps improving his game and I think he's going to improve a lot more the incoming 2 years.  He didn't play well in England against Spurs 2 weeks ago (friendly Tottenham 2 - 1 RS , we dominated ) but he made an excellent season. I comment this because according to some rumours there were LFC scouts in that game.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to The Rumour Mill