Cisse - fastest player in the squad - Why aren't we exploiting his pace?

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby RusselStreetRed » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:15 am

azriahmad wrote:Electric pace alone, without enough smarts on how to actually apply it, would not be much of an advantage. In a typical EPL match, the pace of the game is already fast and furious with referees allowing a lot more physical jostling than in other European leagues. A top flight football player who is very quick can't expect to outsprint his top flight opponents ALL OF THE TIME, and you don't get 100 metres or so to use your extra speed to make it yards ahead of the opposition, mostly it is a short burst of sprint, hence the ability to leave a top flight oponent trailing in your wake is to anticipate and time your runs effectively.

Sadly, Cisse has very little ability or football knowledge, as Garymac rightfully posted here, to exploit his main strengths to his and our advantage.

I just had to answer this:

This video proves your argument wrong:
I will be arguing my points with proof :D

the recent game cisse won for us
"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." - Thucydides
RusselStreetRed

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:16 pm

RusselStreetRed wrote:This video proves your argument wrong:

That video is a perfect example of why Houllier signed Cisse and is how Houllier would have employed him.

I don't think Cisse is worth £14 million ,( but you can't blame him for that ,it was LFC that signed the cheque . ) but he's not as poor or clueless as some make out . He may well move on in the summer and will probably prove succesful elsewhere , on the other hand it wouldn't suprise me if Rafa hangs on to him .

Rafa loves his "options"    :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RusselStreetRed » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:04 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
RusselStreetRed wrote:This video proves your argument wrong:

That video is a perfect example of why Houllier signed Cisse and is how Houllier would have employed him.

I don't think Cisse is worth £14 million ,( but you can't blame him for that ,it was LFC that signed the cheque . ) but he's not as poor or clueless as some make out . He may well move on in the summer and will probably prove succesful elsewhere , on the other hand it wouldn't suprise me if Rafa hangs on to him .

Rafa loves his "options"    :D

Hi there New friend :)

you say you dont think cisse is NOW worth  £14m... i totally agree.
No one will surely pay that amount for a player who is consistenty benched and played out of position.

When cisse came here he was the hottest new kid on the block produced by former world champions France.
He was top scorer in the french league for two consequtive seasons and played well for France in their otherwise disastrous defence of the world title.

So was he worth £14m or more then?I surely think he was worth more than that and it was his preference of Liverpool to other big clubs that were after him that pushed his price down to £14m... if only Owen had done the same :(

The big question i think is,will he ever again be worth £14m?
Personally i think if he's given a decent run of games like morrientes has,he will grow in confidence and improve on his game as hes still a young lad.

The other route which is harder is for him to get into the french world cup team and be the leading scorer in the tournament by leading them into the semis or higher.I know the odds are heavily against it, but if he does that we could be having someone worth  £30m in our hands if we dont let im go...
Last edited by RusselStreetRed on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." - Thucydides
RusselStreetRed

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:44 pm

RusselStreetRed wrote:The other route which is harder is for him to get into the french world cup team and be the leading scorer in the tournament by leading them into the semis or higher.I know the odds are heavily against it, but if he does that we could be having someone worth  £30m in our hands if we dont let im go...

£30 mill !   :laugh:

To be fair , people were taling silly money for Baros after his goals in Euro 2004 (thats when we should have sold him) but I think £30 mill even for a freescoring cisse is stretching the imagination . A succesful world cup however would at least restore his value to something close to what we paid for him .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:10 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:I've just been on the website and noticed the '39 questions with Djibril Cisse' article. A light-hearted interview, but what surprised me is that he reckons he can run the 100m in under 11s.

33. You are one of the fastest footballers in the world. Did you ever consider becoming a sprinter?

"Yeah. When I started in football, it was football or athletics. I chose football."

34. Have you got a fastest time for the 100 metres?

"No, maybe it's less than 11 seconds or something."

Now I don't think even michael owen in his younger days could run the 100m in under 11s. If this is the case why aren't we exploiting this pace in the way we used to when Owen was at the club?

It seems a shame to not use such a vital asset

Cos to exploit it he would need to have footballing talent
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bng89 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:20 am

Talent and Cisse are like petrol and fire. They don't go with each other
Liverpool FC 1892
bng89

Postby Geo » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:30 am

its true cisse is very very quick, under 11 seconds is amazing, olympic qualifiers are about 10.35 for 'B' standard. The only way cisse will be able use his pace to get around defenders is to knock it on and run and against a few of the lower teams it has been working, (whether he can actually put the ball in the back of the net when his one-on-one with the keeper is a different question), or if he gets perfect placed passes from stevie g and co in behind the defence just have a look at the video posted by russel street red, perfect by xabi . how many goals has djib scored against the better clubs (excluding penalties), the number would be low as good defenders can see that knocking it on is djibs only way to get around them and they play on him aware of this. i think djibs a useful player to have in the squad and will only get better under rafa and once he gets his confidence up can produce quality [pass to fowler for the first goal against west brom, goal against everton]
Last edited by Geo on Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geo

Postby oakton » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:59 pm

RusselStreetRed wrote:
azriahmad wrote:Electric pace alone, without enough smarts on how to actually apply it, would not be much of an advantage. In a typical EPL match, the pace of the game is already fast and furious with referees allowing a lot more physical jostling than in other European leagues. A top flight football player who is very quick can't expect to outsprint his top flight opponents ALL OF THE TIME, and you don't get 100 metres or so to use your extra speed to make it yards ahead of the opposition, mostly it is a short burst of sprint, hence the ability to leave a top flight oponent trailing in your wake is to anticipate and time your runs effectively.

Sadly, Cisse has very little ability or football knowledge, as Garymac rightfully posted here, to exploit his main strengths to his and our advantage.

I just had to answer this:

This video proves your argument wrong:

yeah got ANOTHER video of him doing that? How often does he do it?  He makes 10 mistakes in a row and then kicks 1 goal makes him a good player?
oakton

Postby callaway360 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:31 am

cisse has lots of pace - no one can doubt that but its his ball control, he cant control the ball properly when runing his fastest, it seems his first touch is of that of a sunday league if you ask me. it always lets him down, and i wouldnt doubt alot of us in this forum have better control and first touch than him :D
we love yu liverpool we do,
OOOH LIVERPOOL WE LOVE YU
callaway360

Postby -Taimur- » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:36 pm

He is the fastest in our squad and rafa tried exploiting it on the RW a few times.
-Taimur-

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge