Gerrard should make a striker next season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri May 19, 2006 4:34 pm

PCG77 wrote:All formations are so English orientated. Dont be suprised to see 3-5-1 or 5-3-1. Basically the same depending on how deep the full backs, wing backs or wingers play. Yes there is a chance of stevie G playing in the whole. End of the day. The players we bring in will dictate what formation / system we play. Players make great teams not formations. Of course before you have a cry the system they play in can effect the outcome. First things first, lets get the squad right

I still get the feeling that given the addition of a right winger and a top striker, we've got the ideal players to play a 4-3-3 system.

If Gerrard wants to play in the centre then i just can't see us playing a 4-4-2 with him and Alonso centrally as ultimately there would STILL be HUGE gaps all over the park.

Momo Sissoko is an absolute GODSEND and if ever there was evidence, it was when he was missing for the Benfica home and away games.

Alonso, Gerrard and Sissoko is without a doubt THE strongest area of our team and there is no finer central midfield trio in Europe.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Fri May 19, 2006 5:13 pm

Have to say lads that I disagree that we will have the perfect players to play 4-3-3/4-5-1 next season.  For that you need out and out winger/forward players on both flanks.  We have only Kewell who can play that position and Gonzalez when he comes.  As yet there is no one for the right side except Gerrard, who would surely have to be one of the 3 central midfielders in that system.

For the striker position, neither Crouch, Fowler or Morientes are mobile enough to be the lone striker and Cisse is no good with back-to-goal so he'd be no use there either if he stays.

At the moment even with Gonzalez I don't think we even have a first-11 to properly utilise that system, let alone when a couple of those players are unavailable.  It would take a serious overhaul of the squad this summer if that is to be Benitez's preferred system, which I can't see happening.

For those saying we will go 3 at the back next season, well frankly that's bollox.  We only have Hyypia, Carra and Agger.  Only 3 CBs in the squad.  Palleta is unlikely to be ready to step into the 1st team.  So it will still be Sami and Carra at the centre of a back 4 next season with Agger as cover.  I'd bet money on that.  We'll maybe go 3 at the back for the odd game for the surprise factor or if we're trying to chase a game, but that's it.

I still think it'll be 4-4-2 for most of the time next season with Gerrard on the right.  We'll buy a right mid this summer, but it won't be a big name like Joaquin or SWP, it'll be someone who'll play maybe 15-20 games over the season, not an automatic pick - Pennant or someone like that.

Most of the money will go on a quality strike partner for Crouch and maybe another striker as back-up.  Well that's my prediction anyway, so no doubt wide of the mark :)
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri May 19, 2006 5:20 pm

I'm still of that the opinion that there's enough evidence to suggest that while he can clearly play in central midfield and do a superb job there, he's better wide or in a more advanced role.

He's just had his best season on the right side of midfield, certainly from a creative and goalscoring point of view. Like I've said before, Ronaldinho, Zidane and Nedved have all been in a similar situation. They all like playing central, but being pushed wide with quite a free role gives them more licence to "do their thing" without the pressure of keeping the shape and filling the gaps in central midfield. Alonso and Sissoko do a fine job there anyway.

Oh well, at least with the right additions we'll have the flexibility to change systems when we want.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Fri May 19, 2006 5:27 pm

stmichael wrote:Oh well, at least with the right additions we'll have the flexibility to change systems when we want.

I think that's the key St Mike.  While I think 4-4-2 will still be the dominant formation next season, Benitez has shown he likes to mix things up on occasion depending on the game.

That's why I think threads like the recent one on 'what will be the first 11 lineup and formation next season' are pointless.  Although I'm not a massive fan of squad rotation and tinkering with formations, Benitez certainly is and that's going to be the way it is once he gets a full squad of adaptable players that he trusts.  Ah well, if it works I won't complain :eyebrow
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri May 19, 2006 6:20 pm

john craig wrote:For the striker position, neither Crouch, Fowler or Morientes are mobile enough to be the lone striker and Cisse is no good with back-to-goal so he'd be no use there either if he stays.

Agree with that John. For all his virtues Crouch is a sitting duck when he plays alone upfront and Robbie doesn't really have the legs for the job. Funnily enough Baros for all his faults (and i'm not saying he was the man for the job before anyone jumps on me) brought a nice mixture of mobility and strength to the role of lone striker. Unfortunatley he had/has zero football brains in his skull.

I think it's fair to say that Rafa will do plaenty of tinkering and changing of the formation again next season and i figure we will be able to gage a lot from the type of striker(s) the club goes out and buys. If Defoe comes in then you can bet the manager thinking more about 4-4-2. If he goes for the likes of Darren Bent, Andy Johnson or perhaps Dirk Kuyjit then i'd guess he's looking for someone with the attributes to 'do it' up front on their own.

As for 3 at the back. I agree we will only ever see it as a shock tactic. The great thing is that you know the players ALL know their jobs in that system and you can see the work has gone in on the training ground. Tactically Rafa is the BEST in the world for me.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sat May 20, 2006 12:53 pm

Great article by James Lawton on lfc.tv today. Here's his take Gerrard as a 2nd striker.

There is some loose talk about Gerrard filling the vacuum up front that is threatened by the injuries of Rooney and Owen, Peter Crouch's slender international experience and, perhaps, dwindling performance towards the end of the season, and the suspicion that even in pre-World Cup friendlies the scale of Eriksson's gamble on the untried Theo Walcott will become painfully obvious.

Such Gerrard speculation should be dismissed out of hand. Gerrard is no more a striker than he is an orthodox midfielder. He is a marauder who needs to have the ball in front of him. He needs to run into optimum positions with withering strength. No doubt his club manager, Rafael Benitez, has shown clearly the value of giving Gerrard some notionally specific duties; not for him to be put in chains but as a point of focus. Gerrard has proved this season beyond any doubt that with proper handling he can grow more dramatically, more explosively than any player in the land. This is a view which does not intrude on the status of the greatest home-grown talent, Rooney.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Sun May 21, 2006 8:39 am

while the traditional role for steven has been a 'defensive midfielder', i believe this should right away be changed into 'attacking midfield' if not 'second striker' to get the best out of him. as for sven suggestion of possibility of putting gerrard forward, rafa has briefly commented on that, (forgotten where i read this) basically; "anything as long as you give him more freedom"

below is from the independent online:

For Pearce, who played in the 1990 World Cup finals in Italy, making the most of Gerrard's attacking instincts is essential if England are to succeed in Germany.

He said: "He should play anywhere he wants to play. He is such a key player for us. If you sit him in front of the back four in the holding role you are not getting the best out of him.

"With Stevie's shooting ability, which he demonstrated in the Cup final, he needs to be in a more advanced position. Anywhere around 35 yards out is fine for him."
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Sun May 21, 2006 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Sun May 21, 2006 8:47 am

Ace Ventura wrote:
AussieKopite wrote:              Ferdinand has tenure.

WTF is tenure  ???

essentially, he was there first, and he hasn't completely stuffed it up
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joko » Sun May 28, 2006 9:09 am

the independent online

Owen's welcome for Gerrard as co-striker

Former Anfield team-mate classed as the perfect footballer by England's arch predator
By John Curtis
Published: 28 May 2006

Michael Owen has hailed Steven Gerrard as "the perfect footballer" as England conclude their countdown to the World Cup finals with this week's friendly internationals against Hungary and Jamaica at Old Trafford.

The Newcastle player believes Gerrard could play the role of a secondary striker in a 4-4-1-1 type of formation if Sven Goran Eriksson preferred that option to playing Peter Crouch alongside Owen in the absence of the injured Wayne Rooney.

Gerrard has impressed in that position on several occasions for Liverpool, most notably during the second half of the Champions' League final triumph over Milan last season. But Owen's faith in his former Anfield team-mate is such that he is confident Gerrard could successfully operate anywhere if required.

"Can Steven Gerrard be used as a second striker? It's being brought to light now because he had a great game in the FA Cup final against West Ham," said Owen. "But everyone has always known you could play him up front. Everyone has also known you could play him at right-back, left-back, or even centre-half.

"If you want to look for a perfect footballer just look at Steven Gerrard He's got great athleticism, he's quick. In fact, he's about just got everything. He could play in any position and do it well."

While Gerrard may be approaching his prime, Theo Walcott is just starting out on his international career, and the 17-year-old impressed Owen as a substitute in Thursday's B international against Belarus at Reading. Owen said: "I think Theo handles the weight of expectation fine. He is quite a level-headed lad. To be fair, I think everyone expected him to handle it fine. It was unfortunate we weren't on top of our game and playing good football and creating against Belarus, because Theo is like me. In that if we are not getting good-quality ball in and around the final third, you can look as ineffective as anyone. He was starved of much quality but, when he did get the ball, he looked really sharp.

"He had a great shot from 25 to 30 yards, and that tells its own story. It was quite frustrating that one of our best chances was a 30-yard shot in the second half.

"Theo seemed fine beforehand. Everyone wished him good luck. Even though it was a B international, I am sure he was as nervous as if it was a full international, particularly being a striker. We get kicked up in the air more than anyone."

While speculation continues over the kind of impact, if any, Rooney will make in the World Cup - the Manchester United player will travel to Germany but return to his club for another scan on his metatarsal on 14 June - Owen is convinced he himself is back to full sharpness. An on-song Owen would be a strong contender to lift the Golden Boot, and he is also chasing Bobby Charlton's all-time England record of 49 goals.

But Owen, who has netted 35 times in 75 internationals, would take more pleasure from England lifting the World Cup for the first time in 40 years. He said: "That record would be fantastic to hold, but it is still many, many goals and many, many games away. As for the Golden Boot, you'd treasure it if you got it but I wouldn't set out to win it. I'd prefer to win the golden trophy by a long way. I'd love to be the man who scores the goals, but the only thing that matters is winning the World Cup."

Owen has his sights set high for what England can achieve in Germany: "I wouldn't settle for getting knocked out in the last four. The aim is certainly to get to the semi-finals, but it wouldn't stop there."

ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby Kano » Sun May 28, 2006 1:00 pm

So exectional is the calibre of Steven Gerrards game the he could play anywhere for both England and Liverpool and make that position look his own. He is the epitomy of an all round player however as the player has stated himself his position is in CM, but at the same time he has also said he will play wherever he is needed to.

I can honestly see him going into RB once he gets to 30 and really commanding that position.

Im sure whatever position he plays in he will play his heart out. I just dont want to see Frank Lampard given an attacking role ahead of him.   :angry:
Kano

Postby Kukilon » Wed May 31, 2006 1:42 pm

He is a true legend but last night he did something horrible. He took a dive in a friendly for gods sake!
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby kunilson » Wed May 31, 2006 3:36 pm

yeah dunno why gerrard is doing that.....he's only dived 3 or 4 times blatently from what i can remember...at "important" times of the match, but he shouldn't be doing that fucc sake cos all the muppets who we can accuse of having cheating players can just as easily point out what gerrard has done on a few occasions.

Thats a pet peeve, but the main point is that i dont like being associated with that part of the game, foreign players i can understand (garcia :D  ) but not stevie....oh stevie why did u do it stevie?! lol

p.s think people do forget that joe cole did the same thing earlier to win a free-kick on the edge of the box....
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby Kukilon » Wed May 31, 2006 4:36 pm

kunilson wrote:yeah dunno why gerrard is doing that.....he's only dived 3 or 4 times blatently from what i can remember...at "important" times of the match, but he shouldn't be doing that fucc sake cos all the muppets who we can accuse of having cheating players can just as easily point out what gerrard has done on a few occasions.

Thats a pet peeve, but the main point is that i dont like being associated with that part of the game, foreign players i can understand (garcia :D  ) but not stevie....oh stevie why did u do it stevie?! lol

p.s think people do forget that joe cole did the same thing earlier to win a free-kick on the edge of the box....

Yes Cole did it too but he doesn't play in our beloved club. Let the Cheatski supporters sort him out.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed May 31, 2006 4:39 pm

In short, Gerrard shouldn’t play as a striker next season, he can be used as a second striker who runs at defenders from deeper positions. Using him occasionally for variation or in order to try something new during a game is fine, but that is as far as it goes.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby main stander » Wed May 31, 2006 7:53 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:In short, Gerrard shouldn’t play as a striker next season, he can be used as a second striker who runs at defenders from deeper positions. Using him occasionally for variation or in order to try something new during a game is fine, but that is as far as it goes.

And that's fair enough. It's obvious that Liverpool are going to sign at least one striker with the capability of scoring around 20 Premiership goals this season. Gerrard has only played further up when injuries have deprived us of a second striker. It's just not going to happen.

I'm happy for him to play there for England mind - just not us!
main stander

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion