>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gaunt » Wed May 17, 2006 5:15 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:Robinson

Neville       Ferdinand   Terry       Cole

Carrick

Beckham          Lampard             Joe Cole

Gerrard

Owen

I think thats the right team Ace but surely Carra instead of Ferdinand in the center?
Gaunt

Postby joko » Wed May 17, 2006 5:49 pm

i know this would be sounding sort of ridiculous idea, in fact i didn't put myself as a believer for this idea, for meself not being very sure this is gonna work.
and eriksson wouldn't probably come up with this 'stupid' idea should rooney wasn't injured.
however, transfer window could make such a tricky situation just like rafa experienced last season; you raised your players price up to the sky once knowing they are desired by a club who have just become the champions of europe.
should unexpectedly that is to happen again, we would have to make sure that the players upfront must immediately getting into the business. or else we are going to experience the similar three months of status quo of not scoring like it just happened this season -which are 'reasonably reasonable' to be taken as the scape goat for us being ended up third with only one point drifted from the runner-up.
once this effort (to land a more decent striker) failed again (don't!), i think it would sound more normal should every mind getting tempted by this once-considered 'stupid' idea, wouldn't it?
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed May 17, 2006 10:11 pm

Gaunt wrote:

Carrick

Gerrard

Owen

I think thats the right team Ace but surely Carra instead of Ferdinand in the center?

Yeah mate was selecting most of the players based on my assumption of what sven will do. Would also rather have Carragher.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed May 17, 2006 10:18 pm

dawson99 wrote:but ace, that midfield has aboslutely no cover. carrick isnt good enough to hold the entire midfield togetehr as fatty will not be used to staying back.

I think Carrick looks good enough to play that role, remember Beckham plays pretty deep on the right and i did say that although i was wanting Stevie to play in an advanced position, he would be told he needs to tuck back in when we dont have possesion.
To play Gerrard as the holding player would be a massive mistake, now Rooney looks to be out he is the only player we have who is capable of opeing things up and driving at the opposition in dangerous positions.
After looking over this it appears i might not have got what the thread was all about. If its about Gerrard playing as a striker next season for liverpool then my answer is no. we should be looking at bringing in forward players and leave steven to do what he has this season for us.
But if its for England were the options are extremely limited, then i would play him in aroaming role inbetween the midfield and Owen. He would cause havoc...and with Joe Cole drifting in from the left and also Lampard getting in dangerous positions i think that formation and system would have massive potential.
I'll be f'cked off if i see Gerrard plying in the anchor role, collecting the ball of the back 4 and having to knock it forwards to the far more limited Lampard.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Fri May 19, 2006 8:58 am

dawson99 wrote:fatty will not be used to staying back.

Fatty's not used to effort in general.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Fri May 19, 2006 8:59 am

Ace Ventura wrote:
Gaunt wrote:

Carrick

Gerrard

Owen

Yeah mate was selecting most of the players based on my assumption of what sven will do. Would also rather have Carragher.

Ferdinand has tenure.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri May 19, 2006 9:41 am

AussieKopite wrote:              Ferdinand has tenure.

WTF is tenure  ???

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 19, 2006 9:47 am

means hes guarunteed a starting place no matter how muchw e all know he'll fukc it up
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Fri May 19, 2006 9:50 am

Yeah I wouldnt be having much faith in Rio he is a muppets muppet and can not be trusted, why Jamie isnt there I dont know
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri May 19, 2006 3:27 pm

joko wrote:THere probably will not be so many topic about LFC come vacant period of domestic competition (except related to transfer rumor)

it just came across my mind should any chance gerrard would be pushed a bit forward next premiership (probably a second striker), in particular, for gerrard himself once gestured this intention toward rafa.

I don't think it's a ridiculous idea. It's a decent thought provoking post. I wouldn't ask him to play 2nd striker but it's definately worth discussing. Gerrard is no Rooney, players like Rooney come along VERY VERY rarely so it's pointless to expect any other player to come into the England side to do what Rooney can do as it simply won't happen.

I think most of us are in agreement that Gerrard is at his best when he can make those runs from deep or when he's sitting on the edge of the box picking up clearances and of course, he tackles better than just about any midfielder in the world. To take those aspects of his game away would be detrimental to the team but the crazy thing is he is so good he could probably make a TOP premiership forward. He's strong as an ox, i've no doubt he can play with his back to goal, he could drop off deep or on to either flank, he is a great header of the ball (although we don't see enough of that from him) so i think he would make a good striker/2nd forward. In fact you could probably play Gerrard at centre-half and he would push for a place in the premiership team of the year.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PCG77 » Fri May 19, 2006 3:37 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
Gaunt wrote:

Carrick

Gerrard

Owen

Stevie G playing off Owen.. Not  likely.. You need to be able to hold the ball up. Not going to happen with Owen. If you want we may be able to borrow you 1 of the best target men in the premiership. SHAME... he plays for Australia. Aka Mark Viduka.....
PCG77

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri May 19, 2006 4:01 pm

The use of Gerrard next season will be interesting. Xabi and Sissoko are undropable and can only play in the centre. Gerrard is brilliant on the right but wants to play in the centre. When Rafa first came in he played with 1 up top. I think we may see our main system become 4-3-3 next season. It is an excellent system that is becoming more popular in the premiership, but you have to have every position properly addressed otherwise it not a very good system. I wouldn’t like to see Gerrard play as a striker, I don’t mind him being used as a second striker from time to time.

Now that Rooney is injured, England must base there team around getting the best out of Gerrard if they want to have a chance of winning the world cup, and that means not playing him as a defensive midfielder.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri May 19, 2006 4:02 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:The use of Gerrard next season will be interesting. Xabi and Sissoko are undropable and can only play in the centre. Gerrard is brilliant on the right but wants to play in the centre. When Rafa first came in he played with 1 up top. I think we may see our main system become 4-3-3 next season. It is an excellent system that is becoming more popular in the premiership, but you have to have every position properly addressed otherwise it not a very good system. I wouldn’t like to see Gerrard play as a striker, I don’t mind him being used as a second striker from time to time.

I agree.

Rafa loves his players to be able to play in more than one position, so that it gives us 'possibilities' -so that we can feel 'confident'. He believes that regardless of what system one plays, you need to play well to succeed in that system. Hence you need good players playing well all the time (consitency).

However tactically systems are every important as they can nullify opponents. Playing 4-5-1 to absorb a superior midfield of the opponent. This could easily cahnge into 4-3-3 in attack, thereby swamping the opponents defence. Likewise with 4-4-2 becoming 4-2-4 in attack.

Lesser teams can use these systems to subdue their opponents, but that would mean that the system is important.

I am aware that one would want the best of both worlds, i.e. best players and the best system, but what do people think is the stronger element in a tactical battle -a strong system or strong players?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby PCG77 » Fri May 19, 2006 4:22 pm

All formations are so English orientated. Dont be suprised to see 3-5-1 or 5-3-1. Basically the same depending on how deep the full backs, wing backs or wingers play. Yes there is a chance of stevie G playing in the whole. End of the day. The players we bring in will dictate what formation / system we play. Players make great teams not formations. Of course before you have a cry the system they play in can effect the outcome. First things first, lets get the squad right
PCG77

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion