The spice boys - God how they've fallen

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri May 14, 2004 2:27 pm

I think it was the truly awful white suits at Wembley that did it. Even looking at the footage now makes me cringe. That was the moment the team of the 90s became ‘The Spice Boys.’

But the suits aside, there were all sorts of rumours that consolidated the name - a drinking culture, a lack of respect for the manager, a serious lack of discipline, barnies in the city centre etc. Unfortunately, the flashy lifestyles off the pitch weren’t being consistently matched by the football on it. In the end, it cost Roy Evans his job, as the team which had almost trademarked the word ‘professional’ under Shanks and Sir Bob, became a bit of a party piece for the British media.

It only struck me this week, when I was thinking about the end of season honours and dilemmas (relegations) just how the Armanis have fallen. Let’s take a look at the fate of the Spice Boys, circa 2004:

David James – ‘Calamity’ played the last couple of seasons in the first division for West Ham before being ‘promoted’ to Man City. Still gets a game for England though!

2004 status - 4th bottom of the Premier League

Dominic Matteo – has become a fixture in the Leeds team, and is actually one of their more consistent performers. Fills in at centre half, full back and midfield. Unfortunately, it will be against Burnley, Rotherham and Crewe next season.

2004 status – relegated to Division 1

Paul Ince – promoted last season with Wolves and at age 36, is hanging in as a midfield anchor. Probably playing his last Premier league game soon as Wolves wave goodbye.

Jamie Redknapp – the most sensible of the so-called Spice Boys, Jamie’s career has been destroyed by injuries. Still manages to occasionally show his class, but never really quite cut it.

2004 status – 5th bottom of the Premiership

Robbie Fowler – after an abortive 11 million quid (gasp!) move to Leeds, moved on to Kevin Keegan’s Man City where he was expected to re-ignite his career due to City’s gung-ho style. Instead has sadly looked washed up, off the pace and at least a yard slow.

2004 status – 4th bottom of the Premiership

Steve McManaman – after selling Liverpool down the river to line his own pockets and a dream move to Real Madrid, he was off loaded due to inconsistency and a bit part in Real’s set up. Now at Man City was expected to link up with Robbie Fowler and set the league on fire. Instead, he warms the bench.

2004 status – 4th bottom of the Premiership

Stan Collymore – the only footballer as dumb as his accent sounds, Collymore just could not stay out of trouble. Surplus to requirements at mighty Bradford, and even a no-name Spanish outfit got rid of him. Set off fire extinguishers for Leicester back in the days when Leicester players generally behaved themselves.

2004 status – retired and getting very, very fat, although laughably threatened a ‘George Foreman’ style comeback.

Phil Babb and Jason McAteer – both failed to make the grade at Premiership level. McAteer was a half decent player for Liverpool, but no one at Anfield, other than Roy Evans, was surprised Babb never made it.

2004 status – 3rd in the First Division

Neil Ruddock – moved on to West Ham and on again to Crystal Palace before becoming the favourite in ‘I’m a celebrity, get me out of here’ up against Johnny Rotten and Frank Carson.

2004 status – erm, TV star

Don Hutchison – since getting involved in a city centre brawl and being sold by Roy Evans, has had multiple periods with relegation or 1st division fodder such as Sheffield United, the Bluenoses, Sunderland, and West Ham. One of the players truly worthy of the Spice Boy tag and it’s why a bright prospect became a career flop.

2004 status – 4th in the First Division

There were several others who’ve long since retired (Dicks, Wright, Jones etc) and others such as Barnesy & Rushy who were playing their final games during this era, so not really relevant to this piece. (except to say: Barnesy, Rushy… thank you!)

So, needless to say, the Spice Boys haven’t done so well since their ‘glory’ days. But although this article is focused on how many have struggled since leaving Liverpool, it’s worth remembering that it was these players that were losing FA Cup finalists in 1996… the season where their home form read:

Played 19 Won 14 Drew 4 Lost 1 For 46 Against 13

They finished in 3rd place with 71 points from 38 games, 11 points off the pace.

There was also a young lad up front who managed to bang in 28 of Liverpool’s 67 league goals in just 38 games. His name was, is Robbie Fowler - God to his mates.

I just wonder what the current ‘disciplined’ team, and manager, would give for stats like that?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri May 14, 2004 3:11 pm

stmichael wrote:Dominic Matteo – has become a fixture in the Leeds team, and is actually one of their more consistent performers. Fills in at centre half, full back and midfield. Unfortunately, it will be against Burnley, Rotherham and Crewe next season.

Bit harsh on Dom here, Good lad, honest and hardworking and I know he never fell under the spell of the "Spice Boys"  and made a holy show of himself.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 14, 2004 3:18 pm

well, not that im one to argue... but, ehres how some of them got on:
Redknapp: Signed for spurs but is dating Louise, and funny how he always injured when she is not on t our :p

Macca: Left us, went to Real Madrid, won the Champions league, scored in the final!!!

David James: Now England Goalie madness i know but true

Fowler: Has ma de alot of money from transfers (i cant have a go at him, the guys god)

Matteo: Relegated with Leeds but someone has to buy him, he was there best player by far lst season

Barnes/Rush: Whos gonna say anything bad?

As for the others, i agree :D
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri May 14, 2004 6:58 pm

Excellent post St Mick.
jonnymac1979

Postby jack66 » Fri May 14, 2004 8:27 pm

paul ince didnt  play in the 96 cup final, he didnt sign for liverpool until summer 97 , so i dont think u can put him in the white suit brigade.
jack66

Postby Dalglish » Fri May 14, 2004 11:12 pm

Excellent post , you forgot Macteer !!!!!! :D  Relegated with Sunderland :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion