central midfield
57%
second striker
7%
free role from the right
36%

Total votes : 14

Postby stmichael » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:16 pm

I only bring this up again due to my reservations about him playing with Alonso in a 4-4-2 and the fact that today he became much more influential when he moved upfield to play as a second striker late in the game.

For me, it's the free role from the right, by a mile. It allows him to go on his marauding attacks without compromising our defensive solidity too much and yet he retains the pace and stamina to get back when needed.

I feel that the second striker slot (which Rafa appears to have ditched for him now) and, to a lesser extent, the central midfield berth we all were led to believe was his best position, compromise his attacking game somewhat. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he can't play in either of those roles, or do well there; I just feel they're not as good for him (or us) as the position he's had for most of the season.

I think he's had his best season for us by some distance on the right and would like to see him play there next season leaving the bulk of our funds to strengthen the strikers' places in the squad.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby laza » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:35 am

I actually like seeing him roaming out on the right though the fact that Momo has made an instant impact and we didnt sign a quality RM this season has a lot to do with that
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bng89 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:39 am

He seems to be all over the field (don't mind that at all) but he is better in the centre. I've watch them lately and seen Finnan making the runs up the touch line and linking with Gerrard
Liverpool FC 1892
bng89

Postby Ciggy » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:00 am

He was poor yesterday by his standards TBH, and considering he has missed you might aswell say two games, thought he would shine today and run the show after his dissappointing red card in the derby, but allas it wasnt to be.
But then again the whole team was poor against awful opponents who waste time and should generally dissapear into division 1 cause they offer nothing to the prem neither does their whinge bag walrus head manager.

Anyway back to Gerrard his best position is on the right in a free role and he was held back because of him and Alonso playing in CM together we seen a bit more from him once Hamann came on and as we all know the versatility of Gerrard as a player when he is not held back, he is a world class player.

I made a topic a while back saying that we would be a midtable team had he have left, but I was wrong we are no longer a one man team because of Rafa and the signing of the season is Sissoko with him in the squad with Alonso we can get the best out of Stevie roaming about.
But when you keep the reigns on him like he plays for England you dont get them benefits from him.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:42 pm

its scary but i have been talking to some mates recently about thsi and no matter how awesome he is, we do seem to be doing pretty good without him when alonso and sissoko play in the middle.

if someone came in with a 30m+ offer plus a player id be tempted. I know its bad and Stevie is still Liverpool to the bone but if every summer theres umming and arring then id rather move on.

oh, and on the question, i like the free role from the right but hopefulyl next season we'll have someone else there
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:49 pm

Ciggy wrote:their whinge bag walrus head manager.

ImageImage

allerdyce cant understand why ciggy says he looks like a whinging walrus, but please see above for the proof.

please note that the walrus is on the right  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:03 pm

Ciggy wrote:Anyway back to Gerrard his best position is on the right in a free role and he was held back because of him and Alonso playing in CM together we seen a bit more from him once Hamann came on and as we all know the versatility of Gerrard as a player when he is not held back, he is a world class player.

And evidence of that Lynds comes from the fact that he's played more than three positions for Liverpool even this season. With everyone available, we look a far better team when Xabi, Momo and SG are all playing.

I still think, make him play in a two and he loses something from his game or the team are over exposed as he goes chasing the ball. For me, despite marked improvement this season, he still lacks positional discipline which against better teams is exposed.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:53 pm

I see what you mean St M but on the right he doesnt give us a dedicated wide player which I think we need.

It is however a great debate as Ive been thinking a lot about our midfield especially with Kewells return to form and Gonzalez looking good over in Spain.

Siisoko and Alonso look good together so do Alonso and Gerrard. Garcia I rate highly as well and I like Zenden and lets not forget Hamman. Kewell is making the left hand side his own even without the pressure from Zenden. 

It could be a five man midfield with Gerrard and the wide men given license to roam or to quote the great man just go out there and throw some handgrenades around

Or keep a constant tempo with the use of substitutions as certain players flag. Imagine Sissoko causing chaos for 60 to 70 mins and Hamman coming on.

I know Ive gone off subject but it aint about Gerrard anymore the team is looking strong

I honestly think we will be in the league race until the last game next season
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:32 am

Lets face it Stevie would probably do well in any position but personally I prefer him in the middle with licence to push forward . No better sight for me than seeing him bombing forward and unleashing a screamer from the edge of the D .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:10 am

I think he's at his best sat behind 2 strikers. Not from the right, but thus:

GK
                    RCB            CB          LCB
RWB                                                                LWB
                        DMF       
                                                CMF
                                 GERRARD

CF                  CF.

Sissoko as DMF, and as the CMF.

Beat that Sh*tski!

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:23 am

He also used to play right back.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bng89 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:43 am

AussieKopite wrote:He also used to play right back.

Who, Stevie G?
No way. He doesn't seem to be that type of player
Liverpool FC 1892
bng89

Postby dawson99 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:36 am

yeah ive seen him play right back. it was a massive waste but he was still class there
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kopite_123 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:05 pm

his best pos as got to be centre mid
kopite_123

Postby dmf » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:20 pm

bng89 wrote:
AussieKopite wrote:He also used to play right back.

Who, Stevie G?
No way. He doesn't seem to be that type of player

Houliier played him at right back a few times, for me his best position is in the midlle
dmf

Return to Football Related Polls