Have you noticed? - This small observation

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:57 am

i was looking on another messageboard and i was looking at fans proposed team selections for the boro match. judging by their choices i made one blatant observation.

is it me or do players become considerably better when they're not playing?

i'll give you an example. one guy suggested playing diouf and le tallec at the expense of murphy and hamann because we "need to be attacking". now when these two have played, what have they done this season?

everyone slates diouf when he plays but as soon as he's out the team we suddenly need him back. i think the same can be said for other underachievers such as cheyrou.

what do you reckon?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Dalglish » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:01 pm

Hi St Michael, I agree with you , many players take on added abilities and skills when thier not playing in the team. Someone has posted in here about the possibility of playing Mellor !!!! Its end of season nerves I suspect but until we change the way we play tactically (A good point made by Shankhill in another post) it doesn't matter who plays .

We have more than enough skill and goalscorers but our negative approach and style of play lends itself more to fdefence and keeping a clean sheet. have you actually watched MO at the games ? he looks bored and frustrated ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:45 pm

same goes for kewell. if he was injured right now everyone would be saying "oh we need kewell back" when the reality is he has done f#ck all in the last 6-8 games.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby regal » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:50 pm

hello, st mike, i would just like to add to shankill,s point. it,s that i think some of the players are in the( comfort zone )of complacency, and when was i,e, smicer, hencho,bischan, salif daou,diuorf, where named man of the match? heskey too?. i think that if the reds do make 4th place they would not last long in the champions cup, and quite rightly too,,,and why do i say this ? its simple  this present team is just not good enough.        i am sorry to say it but there you have it ,              best regards      regal
regal

Postby Dalglish » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:54 pm

Your right regal , we are not good enough at present but better to be IN with a shout of making the necessary changes and challenging in the CL than OUT. Attracting the kind of players that we need and keeping MO are largely dependant on getting that 4th spot.

I realize its a sad state of affairs when we are grasping at 4th spot when the season promised much more though ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguire27 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:21 pm

Spot on Dalglish..The chances of us challenging the likes of Milan and Real for the European crown is pretty slim but it's impt that we are in it at least for a stab at it...That would at least make MO stay & probably sign an xtension to his current contract... Being in CL would make a hug difference in attracting big name signings too, regardless of how we'd fare in it....
maguire27

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion