When can we expect to win the premiership - Will we win the premiership ever...

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby angry armchair » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:39 pm

Can we really expect to win the premiership in the next 5 years? I have great doubts with our current form only as a guide.
angry armchair

Postby Owzat » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:52 pm

If Houllier is manager I'm 99% certain we won't, but "happy" to be proven wrong. We have a good set of players but not a good squad. Houllier keeps buying cr@p players and selling off better ones, it should be the other way round. I reckon the XI out today is every bit as good as manu and Chelski, not far off Arsenal in some respects, but we need to address weaknesses :-

wingers - Kewell on the left is good but we need someone on the right
strikers - Owen and Baros are good enough, but we need at least one more quality striker
midfield - cover needed for when Gerrard and Hamann are out, maybe a creative midfielder to enhance our play
defence - a reserve centre-back to compete for a place and cover injuries

I think the rest is not too dire, but we need to get rid of the excess french league garbage
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:21 pm

we r nowhere near winning the league. it's quite embarassing to be honest,
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:36 pm

we are still about three players short of winning the league. we need a creative forward in the bergkamp role to play those cut little balls through the defence (litmanen anyone?). we also need a class centre half and a right winger. the problem is when man u, arsenal and chelsea get injuries the players who come in do a great professional job for them. with us players such as biscan, diao just don't cut the mustard.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby angry armchair » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:37 pm

How about Joe Cole if you believe The Sun
angry armchair

Postby THEBARON » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:22 pm

Yes maybe they would do a swap for Biscan
THEBARON

Postby steviec » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:31 pm

every side that has won the Premiership has won it with a mix of grit (Keane/Adams/Bruce) creative midfield (Scholes/ Keane again Bergkamp) and POOFS (Players Of Outstanding Football Skills) ( Cantona, Giggs, Henry)
When we had great creative players, we sold them
Anelka, Litmaanen, Berger (yes he WAS good)
we don't have players prepared to take risks
we should have bought Duff, but settled for Kewell as he was cheaper!
But despite recent results, I for one believe that we are actually playing more possession stuff rather than hoofing it up the park. but we should get anelka back. he could be the difference
Save money on expensive binoculars by standing closer to the object you are trying to observe
steviec

Postby angry armchair » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:53 pm

Duff seems a pit p#ssed off if you believe the news this morning I'm for swapping Biscan, Traore, Diao & Smicer for Duff what do you think anyone? ??? :p
angry armchair

Postby Dom1 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:21 pm

angry armchair wrote:Can we really expect to win the premiership in the next 5 years?

Expect yes, but will it happen very doubtful!!  :D
when you're 4-0 up..
you should never lose 7-1
Dom1

Postby angry armchair » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:21 pm

apart from a world class striker, midfield general, defender & minor miracle I don't see a title at Anfield   :angry:
angry armchair

Postby cheesecakery » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:00 pm

Dom1 wrote:
angry armchair wrote:Can we really expect to win the premiership in the next 5 years?

Expect yes, but will it happen very doubtful!!  :D

:D  :D
ARF ARF
cheesecakery

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:23 pm

I personally don't think we  are far off.  Ok so you look at the table and it supports the critics but with the  players we have we should be doing a lot better.  Owen,  Gerrard, Hypia, Hamman, Kewell are all wonderful players who almost any team outside of the best 5 or 6 in Europe would want.  The trouble is the players (with the exception of Gerrard) don't seem to show their best very often this season.  If they were to do that the table would look a lot more flattering for  us.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Owzat » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:46 pm

Let's get a new manager and go from there. We have good players but not a good team. We need to offload the cr@p Houllier has signed and make some good signings. IMO we make the big mistake of spending big before we're in a position to do so. spurs tried signing big and ended up with Rebrov and Richards, you need to be much more selective when spending big in our position. manu and Arsenal on the other hand have the groundings to spend out - note Wenger doesn't spend money lightly
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby angry armchair » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:16 pm

We need to get rid of those players who don't have the drive to win, who are we going to replace them with and how much is that going to cost ???? ?????? :cool:
angry armchair

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion