Cska moscow book place in uefa final

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby adamnbarrett » Thu May 05, 2005 9:39 pm

CSKA Moscow 3-0 Parma

CSKA Moscow booked their place in the Uefa Cup final with a comfortable win at home to Parma on Thursday.

Brazilian Daniel Carvalho put CSKA in front after 11 minutes and added a second nine minutes after half-time.

Vassili Berezoutski scored the third after 61 minutes to ensure their passage to the final in Lisbon.

Parma keeper Luca Bucci was forced off after a flare from the crowd exploded near his head, while Daniele Bonera was sent-off late on for a second caution.

Carvalho opened the scoring after Yuri Zhirkov broke down the left flank and sent a cross which the striker volleyed past Bucci.

The celebrating spectators threw a flare on the field which hit Bucci in the head and forced him to be replaced by Sebastien Frey.

Carvalho made it 2-0 off a pass from Wagner Love, and Berezutsky added the third six minutes later, heading in Carvalho's free-kick from the left.

Alberto Gilardino came off the bench and had Parma's best scoring chance, hitting the crossbar with a header.

CSKA are only the second team to make it into the final of a major European competition.

Dynamo Moscow's lost to Rangers 3-2 in the now-defunct Cup Winners' Cup final in 1972.

CSKA coach Valery Gazaiyev said: "Considering the result of the previous match, we worked out a tactical plan aimed at an exceptional attack and unconditional victory."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CSKA Moscow: Akinfeev, Ignashevich, Alexei Berezutsky, Daniel Carvalho, Olic, Vagner Love, Odiah, Zhirkov, Aldonin, Vasili Berezutsky, Rahimic. Subs: Mandrykin, Gusev, Ferreyra, Krasic, Laizans, Salougin, Semberas.

Parma: Bucci, Bovo, Bonera, Savi, Ruopolo, Bresciano, Cannavaro, Camara, Grella, Dessena, Furlan. Subs: Frey, Cardone, Gilardino, Contini, Pisanu, Sorrentino, Simplicio
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu May 05, 2005 9:52 pm

Hate to say it, in case we end up in this competition next season.  I said in case, I am very optimistic, believe me.  The Blueshites should still worry.

But has anyone took even the slightest bit of interest in this competition this year?  I don't just say this cause we're in the Champions League, but it is very much a 'lesser' competition now in my eyes.  When we won it in 2001, it somehow still seemed a 'Big Cup' but is it just me, or has the UEFA Cup also lost its magic?

My case rests on the fact that I didn't even know that CSKA and Parma were playing tonight. :( :(
jonnymac1979

Postby adamnbarrett » Thu May 05, 2005 10:17 pm

Me either, i only put on teletext and it came up so that is how i know.

By the way looking again it is AZ Alkmaar (1) 2-1 S Lisbon (2)

Extra time is being played
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Thu May 05, 2005 10:20 pm

AZ Alkmaar 3-1 up after 109 mins
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Thu May 05, 2005 10:34 pm

It's back on AZ Alkmaar (1) 3-2 Sporting Lisbon (2)

120 mins

Surley a win for Sporting
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Thu May 05, 2005 10:45 pm

Miguel Garcia's last gasp goal gave Sporting Lisbon victory over AZ Alkmaar and a place in the Uefa Cup final where they will meet CSKA Moscow on 18 May.

Trailing 2-1 from the first leg, AZ made the perfect start as Kenneth Perez expertly headed past Ricardo early on.

Liedson equalised from close range, but a Stein Huysegems' side-footed finish sent the game into extra time.

Jaliens' angled volley looked to have won the game for AZ, but Garcia's header ensured Sporting went through.

Sporting will be favourites to beat CSKA as the final will be staged in the Portuguese side's Jose Alvalade stadium on May 18.

During those extra 30 minutes Timmer made a wonderful reaction save to tip over a Beto effort, while Ricardo saved Ron Vlaar's swerving shot.

Yet Ricardo could do only watch as Jaliens volley found the corner of the net, a goal that stemmed from another corner.

Sporting redoubled their efforts and in stoppage time Garcia arrived to head past Timmer from a corner.

Perez's early headed goal electrified AZ's Alkmaarderhout stadium.

An imaginative short corner from AZ allowed Tarik Sektioui to deliver a pinpoint cross to Perez, who powered a header into the roof of the net.

Perez almost extended AZ's lead when after a reckless tackle Fabio Rochemback the AZ striker hit the woodwork with a dipping free-kick.

Sektioui's pace troubled Sporting throughout and he drew a fine save from Ricardo with a fiercely hit shot.

While Sporting were having problems containing Sektioui, AZ were having equal difficulty keeping tabs on Liedson.

His dynamism opened up the AZ defence forcing Timmer to save with his feet.

Timmer made even better stop with his legs to divert a shot from Garcia over the bar.

Soon after Garcia was left seething when after a rash Adil Ramzi challenge referee Claus Bo Larsen waved play on.

Four minutes before the interval Timmer could only watch when Miguel Garcia cross skimmed across the bar.

And on the stroke of half-time Anderson Polga's driven pass was diverted by Liedson past Timmer.

Sporting had the better of the second-half exchanges but with 11 minutes left in normal time Huysegems breathed new life into AZ's European hopes.

Barry van Galen's through pass bisected the Sporting defence and although they managed to block Ali El Khattabi's shot the ball broke to Huysegems who rolled his shot into the net.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AZ: Timmer, Vlaar, De Cler, Opdam, Jaliens, Landzaat, Sektioui, Perez, Nelisse, Van Galen, Ramzi. Subs: Zwarthoed, Zoontjes, Medunjanin, Janga, Wisse, Huysegems, Elkhattabi.

Sporting: Ricardo, Rui Jorge, Anderson Polga, Miguel Garcia, Beto, Rochemback, Custodio, Sa Pinto, Liedson, Douala, Joao Moutinho. Subs: Nelson, Hugo, Pedro Barbosa, Tello, Mota, Niculae, Viana.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Juventino » Mon May 09, 2005 7:30 pm

This final sucks, it looks like an Intertoto final :(
I remember when it used to be Galatasaray-Arsenal, Juventus Borussia Dortmund or Valencia Olympique de Marseille :(
Juventino

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion