We all dream........ - .....of a team of goal keepers

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:00 am

Must admit the goalkeeping situation at the club is a bit crazy right now. Reina looks the real deal (despite the occasional flap!), Jerzy will clearly be off to pastures new with this being a World Cup year, I imagine Kirkland will be a West Brom player in the summer if his glass bones are up to it ( i do feel sorry for him because he is so talented) which leaves Carson (who must be wondering if he will ever get past Reina) and this new lad Martin as the back-up.

I figure Rafa will go out and get another keeper with a bit more experience once Dudek is moved on later this month.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:15 am

You'll probably find this has something to do with UEFA's ruling on Foreign players:

Uefa has announced clubs competing in the Champions League and Uefa Cup will have to include four homegrown players in their 25-man squad from 2006.

Europe's governing body also wants to implement the plan in domestic leagues but that will have to be agreed by each national association.

Uefa then wants six homegrown players by 2007 and eight in 2008.

Of the eight, at least four must be trained by the club's own academy and the rest in the home country.

Uefa defines a club-trained player as one who has been registered for a minimum of three seasons with the club between the age of 15 and 21.

Rafa is planning for the future - so we're not caught out.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:20 am

Good point Hawkmoon.

Given the circunstamces, seems a clever thing to do. But it also makes me wonder, what's the point of UEFA with such rules. Rules should be at the service of football. I don't like the idea of a kid of 15, leaving his mother, his country, just to play football. If what they seek with that rule is to protect homegrown players, here we have the very early example that the result can be the opposite. Don't get me wrong, Liverpool is a great city and LFC the best club, but I find disturbing to trade 15 year olders... what do you think?
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:55 am

You're right Sabre, a 15 year old Dane doesn't exactly sound like a homegrown Liverpudlian does he?
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:05 am

Sabre wrote:Good point Hawkmoon.

Given the circunstamces, seems a clever thing to do. But it also makes me wonder, what's the point of UEFA with such rules. Rules should be at the service of football. I don't like the idea of a kid of 15, leaving his mother, his country, just to play football. If what they seek with that rule is to protect homegrown players, here we have the very early example that the result can be the opposite. Don't get me wrong, Liverpool is a great city and LFC the best club, but I find disturbing to trade 15 year olders... what do you think?

The rules will never be effectively passed, because of the G14[I think its 14, cant remember].Half of the clubs in Europe wouldn't be able to follow the rule, including Chelsea.

I think we have a fair decent amount of English lads in the club now in the academy.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:11 am

I've heard really promising things about Hobbs. Will be interesting to see where he's at in a few years.
115-1073096938

Postby azriahmad » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:13 am

St. Mick, I did not notice your "morphing" Moyes picture at the bottom of your posts until today, but this being a Friday morning in my parts of the world now, it did give me a hearty laugh seeing it. :laugh:

On the goalkeeping front, I expect both Dudek and Kirkland to be non-Liverpool players very soon. These youngsters are for the future, although we do have youthful custodians in Reina and Carson. I would expect a more experienced cover to be drafted after Dudek's departure.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:15 am

I expect Dudek to leave this month. Because of the World Cup, he understandably wants to play as much as possible.

I've heard really promising things about Hobbs. Will be interesting to see where he's at in a few years.

Interestingly enough, Hobbs is not playing as a centerback. Pako and the rest of the coaching staff have decided to play him as a central midfielder for one season. They want him to improve his abilities with the distribution of the ball, reading of the game,etc.... It's an interesting experiment.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion