Foggy nights at anfield - Remember when!

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby supersub » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:25 am

The game that was postponed the other night, because of fog, brought back a few memories of the distant past.
   The second leg of Super Cup was played out in the thickest blanket of fog I have ever seen.It was an absolute farce but the game ,apparently,had to be played and BBC's Sportsnight were televising it to show highlights later in the evening.
     We lost the 1st leg in Anderlecht 3-1 so a good game was expected by the 20-30 thousand of us who had braved the elements.What a joke!You could barely see past the 18 yard box from my position on the Kop.The whole game was spent singing to the Anny Road if a goal had been scored at their end and we in turn would sing back what was happening at the Kop end.What little you could see was an hyserical farce because of the frosty pitch,so players were falling over all over the place.
   result 2-1 to the Reds..scorers apparently were Emlyn Hughes and David Fairclough
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:35 am

is this the game where shankly came on the pitch to move a player to the correct positon or was a game in the 60s.

actually i think that was an away game in europe.

i dont really remember going to a really foggy game, but i remember turning up once for a game to find out luton had not bothered to travel. i think after this dame the rule was made that if over a certain distance the away teak had to travel the day before
112-1077774096

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:59 pm

I loved the orange footy's when it snowed in the eighties.  Brilliant!!!!
jonnymac1979

Postby supersub » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:04 pm

I think the game you are talking about peewee is the Ajax game in the 60's when we got hammered 5-1
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:17 pm

The Anderlecht game I'm referring to was  December 1979.I remember the Kop splitting into groups and have plastic drink container fights.The Left side v. The Right side and The Top v. The bottom....interspirsed with a chant of "ANNY ROAD,ANNY ROAD whats the score"
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby greenred » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:50 pm

I remember watching that match on tv Supersub.The cameras could only pick up on the action around the centre circle.Both penalty areas were completely covered in fog.Bleedin hilarious it was. :D
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:57 pm

I used to luv watchin the matches played in a mudbath, players sliding all over the place................hang on........sounds a bit queer that. And boxing
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:06 pm

supersub wrote:I think the game you are talking about peewee is the Ajax game in the 60's when we got hammered 5-1

yes thats right, ajax, cheers

tell you what else you dont see anymore, dogs on the pitch, unless beckhams missus manages to get on there somehow
112-1077774096

Postby JBG » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:45 pm

I remember a game played between Ireland and Wales in Wales in 1991 or 1992, I cannot remember. It was only a friendly, and I think it was about February.

It had been snowing all day, on and off, but then stopped for a while, and the ref cleared the game for play. However, just before the match there was a big freeze and during the match it started to snow again.

Anyway, the pitch was in a tretcherous state, yet the ref allowed the game to be played, a reckless decision if you ask me given that it was only a friendly and the players were in genuine danger of injury.

The reason I bring it up was because they played with an orange ball and when the play went to the opposite side of the ground, the snowfall was so bad you couldn't see the opposite full backs. Commentating on the game was a farce, as all you could see was a blur of white, green, red and orange, and then the ball was punted upfield. The funniest thing about the game was the performance of Welsh centre half, Eric Young. For those of you not old enough to remember Eric Young, well, he was a Wimbledon centre back, about 6 foot four, wore a head band, and had about as much skill on the ball as your granny on a Honda. Young had even crazier legs than Djimi Traore, and he was slidding all over the pitch. Wales got taken to the cleaners, and Ireland somehow managed to find the goal to score three times.

After the game, manager Terry Yorath (I think he was manager then) described Young as being like "Bambi on ice".

Greenred: do you remember the game?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:50 pm

supersub wrote:The Anderlecht game I'm referring to was  December 1979.I remember the Kop splitting into groups and have plastic drink container fights.The Left side v. The Right side and The Top v. The bottom....interspirsed with a chant of "ANNY ROAD,ANNY ROAD whats the score"

Think I was at that game with me mum hated it :angry: I was only about 7, me mum bought me a beef pie and a cup of bovril and I cryed to go home, with the constant stream of p#ss flowing down the isles. Could'nt bloody see a thing  :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - Games