Houllier backs liverpool campaign - Football365

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:25 pm

Houllier backs Liverpool campaign

Former Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier has backed the growing campaign for the Reds to be allowed to defend their Champions League title - especially as they could face his new team Lyon next season.

Houllier was on Sunday appointed coach of French champions Lyon and he has stepped into the debate which is so far proving difficult for UEFA to resolve.

"I was really so pleased that Liverpool won the Champions League for the fans, the players and the club," said Houllier. "I'd be gutted if they are not in the Champions League next season. Common sense should prevail and the winners of the Champions League should be the first ones to defend it."

Houllier denied he felt he had a point to prove to the Liverpool hierarchy after he was sacked last summer and replaced by Spaniard Rafael Benitez, who won the Champions League last week.

"No not at all. I left Liverpool on good terms. The fans, players and staff know the contribution that I made," he told the League Managers' Association's website, www.leaguemanagers.com. "I had six wonderful years winning trophies and qualifying for the Champions League."

And the Frenchman admitted he would not relish meeting an English side in the competition next season - although he is interested in signing some Premiership players.

"I know how high the level of English football is," he said. "If it is possible [to sign Premiership players] yes, but I won't name names."
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:36 pm

Quite a harsh article that isn't it? :( ???
jonnymac1979

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion