Can fa cup and 4th spot save le boss?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:10 pm

So GH is in a scramble to stay in the Anfield hot seat. Some of you have kept the faith with GH but the majority (myself included) believe a new man must be installed over the Summer. What is the minimum GH will have to achieve to keep his job? Surely 4th spot alone will not be enuff! maybe the FA cup as well would do it. It isn't enuff for me - what do you think?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:25 pm

I've a nasty feeling that 4th place and a good showing in the FA or UEFA cup will see GH keep his job, god help us...... :p
RedSi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:54 pm

I think that the 4th space and a cup win might be enough to save Houllier's bacon, especially if the team finished the season strongly like it did in 2002 by playing consistantly well and hammering a few teams.

However, if the team flukes their way into fourth then even that might not be enough to save Houllier.

It all depends on whether David Moores stays and I think there's a very strong chance that regardless of what happens this season, he might stand aside.

He has said that his own personal mission is to establish the club as number one again and he might decide to hand over the reigns to someone else.

If Moores goes I doubt winning the UEFA Cup, the FA Cup and sneaking into third place would save Houllier.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:01 pm

I think if we got 4th spot with some sort of conviction, then he should stay, and if we can win the FA Cup that would be a big bonus.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:36 am

While fourth place is tantalising within our grasp it remains far enough away for us to be worried. Charlton remain 3 points ahead with Newcastle level on points with us. I myself don't consider any of the teams challenging for fourth to be a serious threat, but then we shouldn't have lost to Southampton at home, Portsmouth and Charlton away and be in the position we are at the moment. While we all believe Liverpool are at the very least better than all but the top three, we are in fifth place because that is the standard we have achieved so far this season. How can we claim to be deserving better than fifth when we have yet to show it on the pitch? Consistency is the key, the higher the level the higher the final position. Anyone can beat anyone on their day - Wolves beat the mancs but still sit 19th in the Premiership........
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 116-1065305004 » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:06 am

4th and a cup and maybe Houllier should be given a bit more time assuming we cant lure Martin O'Neill to Anfield.
116-1065305004

Postby big al » Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:27 am

ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah no!
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby leothelion » Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:03 am

HOULLIER CAN STAY BUT LET HIM GO UP STAIRS OR MAYBE AS A BALL BOY BUT NOT AS MANAGER
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
"MEMBER OF BEAVIS CREW"
leothelion
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BUGGERLUGGZ » Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:24 am

LET HIM STAY HE CAN DO THE DISHES IN THE KITCHEN!!!
DONT BE FOOLED BY FOOLISH JUST HUMOUR THEM
BUGGERLUGGZ

Postby staticstranger » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:14 am

I don't like the way LFC has struggled anymore than the rest of you; however, I really believe this struggle is a blessing in disguise.  After the Platini era, didn't France stink for a while?  There is a reason why Houllier was involved with France football during the losing days and built them to become the dominant program they are today.  Like some of you have mentioned, most of our players are just kids.  At the age of 23, Beckham's temper got him in trouble at the World Cup and people wasted no time blaming him...well, look at what he's done for England and Manu since.  Diego Forlan and Veron did not turn out for Fergie...sh*t happens.  It's too easy to dwell on mistakes.
staticstranger

Postby Starbridge42 » Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:21 pm

Scottbot wrote:What is the minimum GH will have to achieve to keep his job? Surely 4th spot alone will not be enuff! maybe the FA cup as well would do it. It isn't enuff for me - what do you think?

Since GH has spent over one hundred million pounds in his time as manager winning the FA Cup, UEFA Cup and getting the final Champions League spot is the least he needs.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby DAV » Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:31 pm

i hope not
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:36 am

I would settle for 4th place and the FA or UEFA Cup, but only this year. Sadly, I find it unrealistic to think that Liverpool F.C. can win the FA Premiership with the existing team roster and current manager.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:22 pm

I think a minimum requirement of fourth is a joke, surely that should have been required as of his second or third season? There are only three teams who have done better on the pitch, have the finances and resources and are considered bigger than us so it isn't like fourth is a hard task
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion