Spanish players

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby YoungAdam » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:07 pm

I'm interested to know how different La Liga is from the Premiership, I haven't watched too much Spanish football so I wouldn't really know.

Last night one of my mates (who's a toffee) said that one of our problems was the Spanish players not really being able to adapt to the English game. How are the two different?
YoungAdam

Postby el_stinger » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:15 pm

Not sure if he knows what he's talking about. Alonso has adapted quite well, and was in some real good form before the injury. Garcia and Josemi started very well at the start, barring a couple bad games and injury. Same goes for Nunez. I think the Spanish players can adapt a lot easier than say the German or French players, simply because the game in Spain is a lot similar to the English game. The main difference between the two leagues is that the English game is a lot tougher in tackles, and in Spain, the referees are more strict than in England. In England you get away with very harsh tackles, whereas in Spain you might be booked.

Having said that, the two leagues are similar in pace, excitement, and attack. The two leagues differ when it comes to defence also, in Spain there is a lot of passes from the back in order to break into an attack, whereas in England, you break from anywhere. The midfield is more prevalent in England than in Spain.

So your friend is talking out of his a$$ when he says that Spanish players have a hard time adapting to the English game, ask him who and when. My bet is that he will be stumped for an answer.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:16 pm

hi youngadam :)

i love the premiership mate for it's excitement. the fact that we are seeing more top class players coming over here every year proves that the premiership is increasingly appealing to foreign players. however, if i've said it once, i've said it a thousand times. i think it's been a poor premiership over the last two years. last season was the worst i've seen and this season hasn't been much better. the top three aside, it's just full of mediocrity. at the moment, everton are fourth which just about says it all.

for me spain is still the benchmark. there is so much more quality in the players over there. the game may not be as quick, but if you're technically sound then you'll make it. look at the record of the spanish clubs in the champions league compared to england over the past few years and the facts don't lie. spain is the best domestic league in the world.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:55 pm

It is becoming clear that Benitez' purchase of La Liga players might have been misguided and potentially disasterous.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby hawkmoon269 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:09 pm

Agree JBG - I can't understand why Rafa bought Pelle as cover - he's too old and slow.  Josemi is too rash I the challenges.  If as El-Stinger says the refs in Spain are tougher on tackles, then how did he ever say on the pitch.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:47 pm

I have great faith in Alonso;he is a class act.Morientes will show his worth,given time,but the rest of the Spanish acquisitions are having more bad games than good.I hope this is just a settling in problem but I have an uneasy feeling.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:13 pm

Ok, maybe I was a bit strong with my above quote and Alonso looks a good buy, but Garcia and Josemi's form have tailed off dramatically, Nunez looks like a journey man, the jury's out on Pellegrino as yet. Morientes has made a slow start, but he should come good.

I'd be more worried about a huge split in the dressing room between the English speaking players and the Spanish, as happened towards the end of Houllier's time.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby The_Rock » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:21 pm

well let it be know that i was rooting for anelka instead of morientas...but i don't wanna get into any debate... I will give morientas at least until the end of the season before i pass judgement.

We seriously need width in our team. I will not stand for another game with garcia as a right winger......
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby y cymro » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:55 pm

We all agree very bad performance, BUT
Don't lump all the Spanish players together. Alonso has been the outstanding Liverpool player this year. Boy, do we miss his passing and good judgement?   It is still too early to judge the others (though I must admit some doubts about two purchases).

No doubt you'll disagree with the rest of this post ....but what the hell......... How was team spirit today! - shouldn't the captain be supporting and helping lesser lights.
Last year, we had the same type of posts about the Foreign / French players.We lumped Diaou/Biscan/Cheyrou/Diouf/Le Tallac/ Traore etc together and said performances were their fault, and so was the lack of team spirit.  So, until recently we kept the worst two (Diaou and Biscan), as squad players and sent most of the others two packing - to a chorus of good riddance - on loan deals.
At least Diouf gave 100% (if sometimes misdirected). Did we have 11 players giving 100% today?
And in truth, as I recall, we got some decent results with Cheyrou in the team (Newcastle Chelsea...). At least he could pass the ball and scored some goals (when played).
Has the squad improved - look at our midfield / attacking support today.How embarrassing taking off the over the hill Hamman and bringing on the midfield dynamo that is Igor Biscan. Sorry Igor - time to go. I would bring Cheyrou and Diouf back into the squad, and pray for an early recovery for Alonso.

:blues:
y cymro

Postby hobbes » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:43 am

Any player if heis good must be able to play and adapt well in Anfield. But if his individual performance is bad, he not good enough for Liverpool. Rafa is beginning to see some talent in England too. He is not restricted to Spainards only. His problem is funding. Anyway whatever wrong the Board. Can anyone tell me why Morgan's offer was not accepted by the Board.
hobbes

Postby el_stinger » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:53 am

Because it would spell the end for Moores and Parry!
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hobbes » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:57 am

But they were willing to ocnsider offer from Thai Prime Minister. Why not a fellow member. ? I dont see the bloody logic. Its like dog in the manger!
hobbes

Postby el_stinger » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:01 am

Thats what they do, they entertain the idea of offers from everyone, but they don't act on it, why? Because they want to hold onto the power of running the club THEIR way, no one elses way. The reason why we haven't won the title for nearly 2 decades is attributed to the board and their lack of initiative. They seem to want their places on the board secure forst and foremost, then the good of the team second.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion